PDA

View Full Version : Very very VERY frustrated

oachs83
09-10-2009, 07:08 PM
To be up to speed here is the link to the thread explaining my problem (read all my posts) http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3701409#post3701409

Anyways I got three CDI's but only one works and it is a aftermarket called a Hot Shot CDI part # CDI 10196. Does anyone know of these and are they a cheap made unit? I am just so damn frustrated it seems like I have tried everything.

RyanWsly
09-10-2009, 08:34 PM
We need a little better description of what's going on, is it smoking when it's doing this or what, check your fuel supply, check the spark, is it blue, orange or what and follow the advice in the other thread, don't skip anything, everything he told you is important to helping you out. I know it's frustrating, but you have to remember that we are not seeing the problem first hand. Check your plug out for us and see if it's all wet or very clean and dry looking, that will tell a lot. As far as your CDI goes there is no good way to test it that I know of other than replacement and I have no idea about the quality that company produces, it is possible that it may be bad.

oachs83
09-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Float level is spot on and reeds are new. I light blue smoke everytime except when idling no matter what pilot or main jet I try. I have tried 38-52 pilot and 152-178 main. Thin blue spark.

RyanWsly
09-11-2009, 02:58 PM
What's the plug look like?

oachs83
09-11-2009, 03:32 PM
right now a lighter brown but it was brand new has about 5 minutes of run time.

oachs83
09-11-2009, 05:41 PM
little update. So I have tried every pilot and main jet in every size from range 38-52 on pilot and 152-178 in main and it acts the same. I will say though I was trying a 38 pilot and a 155 main and it ran almost the same but missed more than usual and idled a little higher so I went to step the idle down and as I backed the idle off it started to run wide open so I turned it up a half turn and it idled fine. I then blipped the throttle and it ran wide open I mashed the throttle down and it died. I am very confused.

86 Quad R
09-11-2009, 05:52 PM
its obvious that you have something else going on other than jetting issues. have you another carb to try?

oachs83
09-12-2009, 01:28 AM
Yes this is my second carb that I have tried. I am now leaning toward the cdi being faulty. Because I have tried two carbs. The results have all been the same no matter what I do with either carb it has to be electrical?

jon370r
09-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Is this a stock or after big bore cylinder? If its a stock cylinder, what year is it? Have you done a leakdown test? You say when you bought it, it had a hole burnt in the top of a new piston. Was it known why this happened? Sound like you have some kind of air or coolant leak somewhere.

SuperSherman
09-13-2009, 02:13 PM
You never mentioned if you put a new plug in it. Metal transfer from a hole'd piston will ruin a plug.

oachs83
09-13-2009, 02:15 PM
Yes I put a brand new plug in the engine. The cylinder is a 1986 bored .80 over.

Aceman
09-13-2009, 02:30 PM
Leakdown and compression tests need to be done before anything else.

Look for a thread by 86 Quad R on building a leakdown tester if you don't have one already. I got my compression tester from Sears years ago for a decent price.

TEMPESTRACER1
09-13-2009, 03:44 PM
I had the same problem with the Hot Shot CDIs.I bought two and only one would work on my R.I put the other on and the bike would fall on its face,wouldnt even rev up.

oachs83
09-13-2009, 04:19 PM
I am starting to think very strongly that the CDI is my problem and am glad to hear someone else has had a similar problem with that brand of CDI.

oachs83
09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
UPDATE: So I went out and bought the equipment for a leakdown test. Pumped the engine up and found a slight leak in the exhaust gasket and a huge leak in the reeds/intake gaskets. The only thing is I took the reeds out to check them and reused the gaskets. Put new gaskets in everything and ran the leakdown test again. in 10 minutes I would say at the very most I lost a half pound more like a .25 pound. Sprayed the heck out of the engine and no leaks anywhere. So I then tried another (3rd) carb and put a 48 pilot and a 165 main in. Fired it up and just like before absolutley nothing at all changed. Runs the exact same way. I now am going to try a CDI if I can find one soon. My stator is brand new.

Saul76
09-13-2009, 06:59 PM
Be thankful then it wasn't running - a major air leak like that and your next post could have been 'seized and burned up my piston'

Good luck with the cdi.

Honda 250r 001
09-14-2009, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by TEMPESTRACER1
I had the same problem with the Hot Shot CDIs.I bought two and only one would work on my R.I put the other on and the bike would fall on its face,wouldnt even rev up.

thats funny because the exact thing happened to my dyna fs?

mxduner
09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
thats funny because the exact thing happened to my dyna fs? x2,x3 on the dynas. i have a hot shot that was fine, then it got dropped and didn't work afterwards. put a stock in. Now i just looked in my spare parts box and noticed the hot shot box has a bent pin, so i will try it again to see if that was the only problem with it.

mxduner
09-14-2009, 02:05 PM
can you check the flow off the fuel petcock? res. and in the on position? if your cdi is bad and it run's like crap, 1 would think the plug would be black???

mxduner
09-14-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by oachs83
To be up to speed here is the link to the thread explaining my problem (read all my posts) http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&postid=3701409#post3701409

Anyways I got three CDI's but only one works and it is a aftermarket called a Hot Shot CDI part # CDI 10196. Does anyone know of these and are they a cheap made unit? I am just so damn frustrated it seems like I have tried everything. well unless you misslabeled the p/n of that box, mine is a p/n 15-616.and a link to thier siteclick here (http://www.ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/results.php)

oachs83
09-14-2009, 08:17 PM
Originally posted by mxduner
can you check the flow off the fuel petcock? res. and in the on position? if your cdi is bad and it run's like crap, 1 would think the plug would be black???

That could be but I have only rode it around the block a few times after I jetted it over and over. The quad has maybe ran 5 minutes and the plug was new. It idles fine and under no load it kind of whines out. Anything under a load no good. I thought CDI helped timming curves and that is exactly what it feels like.

woodsracer144
09-16-2009, 09:13 PM
i dont know, this is funky... what is your plug gapped at... i didnt gap mine once and it was really weird... it ran like crap!

i've had CDI's go bad, but it wasnt a hit and mis it was a good one or a bad one not a medium little here little there thing... who did the motor work?

oachs83
09-17-2009, 06:55 PM
I may have found my problem and it was the CDI. I got ahold of a oem 89 CDI and put in my 89 harness/stator and BAM!! I only rode it for about 30 seconds (it's dark outside and no light) but it runs 250% better. Now I will have to mess with some jetting I am sure. Thanks to all that helped me on my way.