PDA

View Full Version : Called Geico today

yfzrider310
09-09-2009, 08:24 PM
Asked for a quote on streetbike insurance for an 18 y/o under my dads name. Turns ended up being $256/year (liability and uninsured drivers) with a $500 deductible. Now if im not mistaken that's pretty dam cheap for a ninja 600 streetbike at 18 y/o. Has anyone got similar quotes? Maybe cheaper through other insurance companies. Just let me know if you think this is a good deal. O yea and I would also have to take a motorcycle safety class to get 10% off which brings it to that price.

derekhonda
09-09-2009, 08:46 PM
It's because it's under your dads name. I did that when i was 16, worked for about three months til they called my dad and asked him why he didn't have a motorcycles license but had a motorcycle. decided to do it legal, don't know what all types of fraud are involved in that.

416exfreak
09-10-2009, 08:51 AM
In florida you dont even have to have insurance on your motorcycle, as long as its paid for outright.

If its financed, you have to have full coverage, like on any other financed vehicle.

I've tried many many times to talk my parents into letting me get rid of the 400 and get a ninja 250 to learn on.

The gas I would save every month could pay the insurance on my truck...:p

derekhonda
09-10-2009, 10:59 AM
You always have to have insurance, paid for, financed, whatever.

You just dont always have to have full coverage.

TN_cowboy
09-10-2009, 11:09 AM
in fl you do not have to have ins on a motorcycle 416 said. i only pay $50 a moth on a 1975 yamaha. but it will be cheaper when i go to fl they have less state min.

QuadJunkies
09-10-2009, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by derekhonda
You always have to have insurance, paid for, financed, whatever.

You just dont always have to have full coverage.

What he is saying is that if your vehicle is financed, you MUST carry full coverage.Banks will insist and you must proved proof or they will put full coverage on it at there pride-which isnt very cheap.
If your vehicle is paid off, you can add liability or full coverage.
I personally would never own anything without full coverage regardless.

Ive had Geico for close to15 years now and so far I cant find a better rate out there.

derekhonda
09-10-2009, 11:14 AM
Thats what I was saying, you don't always have to have full coverage, but you always do have to have liability, which is insurance.

TN_cowboy
09-10-2009, 11:23 AM
fl you do not have to have any kind of ins on a motorcycle if it is paied for

FINANCIAL RESPONSIBILITY LAW-IT DOES APPLY TO MOTORCYCLES! Florida's No-Fault, or "PIP Law" does not apply to motorcycles. HOWEVER, the Financial Responsibility FR Law applies to ALL motor vehicles in Florida, including motorcycles. Thus the voluntary purchase of motor vehicle liability insurance by an owner, operator or owner/ operator is highly recommended. Failure to carry property damage and bodily injury liability insurance in case of a crash, DUI conviction or other occurrences outlined in Florida's FR Law, Ch. 324, may result in some or all of the following: Loss of license/tag and registration, and/or restitution or civil court judgment, and future proof (three years) of high risk, SR22 mandatory liability insurance coverage just to keep your driver license - even if you do not own any motor vehicles. Source: Florida Motorcycle Handbook 2006

derekhonda
09-10-2009, 11:45 AM
Oh ok, yeah I probably wouldn't pay the $200 in liability a year then, I mean if you lose control and kill someone walking across the street, their family could only sue you for everything you have.

Yeah, I definately wouldn't do that either.

smr
09-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Tn was the same way when I lived there. They have since changed it now. Tn didn't even make you have it on a car until about 3 years ago.

not all states require insurance.

redrocker
09-10-2009, 12:14 PM
I pay $70.00 a yr for my Harley
Progressive insurance
Thats liability

gcart2
09-10-2009, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
In florida you dont even have to have insurance on your motorcycle, as long as its paid for outright.

If its financed, you have to have full coverage, like on any other financed vehicle.

I've tried many many times to talk my parents into letting me get rid of the 400 and get a ninja 250 to learn on.

The gas I would save every month could pay the insurance on my truck...:p

i had the same talk with my momma. finnally got her to say yes :devil:

once my quad sales, cbr 600 here i come. all black with burnt orange, or ford gold wheels.

sexx on wheels. plus 35-40 mpg:eek2:

TM426
09-10-2009, 08:10 PM
Some states do not require auto insurance at all (unless its financed). I wouldn't want to live in one of those states though. Its bad enough where I live worrying about uninsured drivers.

QuadJunkies
09-11-2009, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by TM426
Some states do not require auto insurance at all (unless its financed). I wouldn't want to live in one of those states though. Its bad enough where I live worrying about uninsured drivers.

AGREED!

fast426
09-11-2009, 06:21 AM
Last year I checked on insurance for a cbr600, and it was like 2400 a year, and I have a clean driving record.

Also if you are getting a bike thinking it will save you money, you are probably wrong. The gas mileage may be 40-50, but tires only last 5-6 thousand miles, and there is alot of maintenance and other costs as well. Put on top of that the payment of the bike, and your not saving much.

mxpimp2000
09-11-2009, 07:06 AM
the reason bike insurance is soo cheap is because if u wreck one its prob. done with not much left of a bike once its layed down for 100+ft i had a buddy wreck his at 110 and didnt put a bruise on him but it was a brand new bike which nothing is left anymore and it didnt get paid for it had liability.:ermm:

Brad77
09-11-2009, 08:52 AM
http://rummage.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/caveman.jpg

feuerstack411
09-11-2009, 10:04 AM
I got a qoute from progessive on a 09 Sportster 883 Iron (sexxxxxxx) and it was 600 a year. But I have 4 points, on my licence, so I don't fully believe it until I actually talk to someone.

Tommy Warren
09-12-2009, 10:19 PM
I had to file a claim and they sent the damn lizzard:eek2:

Old Head
09-13-2009, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by derekhonda
Thats what I was saying, you don't always have to have full coverage, but you always do have to have liability, which is insurance.

I lived in fla and had a street bike YOU DON'T NEED ANY INSURANCE INCLUDING LIABILITY. if its not not financed.