PDA

View Full Version : What are these wires for?

oachs83
09-09-2009, 08:01 PM
SO I bought this 86 250r and was told it ran until a hole was put into the piston. Anyways got a new piston installed, found out that a 152 main jet was inn carb (should be around 175) and was ready to start it. Kicked and kicked and found not to have any spark. Now I bought it being told it has a 1989 wiring harness in it. I also got the original 86 harness and 3 cdi boxes (86, 89, and aftermarket) and 3 stators. The original 86 stator looks like crap, the 89 stator is what's in it and also a new still in box moose stator that has stronger lighting coil that looks to be for the 86. Now I replaced the CDI and nothing. I then was going to put the new stator in but noticed when I went to unplug the stator wires up by the gas tank there was two seperate female wires in that harness doing nothing. They are a green wire and a blk/white wire. What are these for is this my problem?

Heres what I have going on where that stator connections are at the gas tank

1989 Harness

Two white clip in connectors bigger on is a white/ylw wire and a blk/red wire. Smaller connector is a blue/ylw wire and a grn/white wire. Then i have the two unhooked mystery wires that one is green female and the other is blk/white female.

The 86 harness just has one with connector that is blue/ylw wire and a grn/white wire. Then two seperate male wires a white/ylw male and a blk/red male.

Should I just put the old 86 harness back in and use the brand new stator or am I missing something with the mystery wires in the 89. I am really itching to ride this quad since I have never rode a R before. Thanks to those that help.

Also the current 89 setup the stator is in the right ohm range I just can't get the .1-.3 ohm in the wires going to the coil on either harness ( I just mocked the 86 harness and grounded it) is there another way to check?

oachs83
09-10-2009, 09:09 AM
Nobody on here has used a 1989 harness and can tell me what the two extra wires are?

unit32
09-10-2009, 09:40 AM
On my 87 my ignition wires for the key are green and black. Does your have a key or no?

oachs83
09-10-2009, 11:02 AM
OH, maybe that's what they are. This 86 wiring harness does not have a key but the 89 harness must have. Those not being connected may have been the reason for no spark? I just threw the 86 harness back on and the new 86 stator and it has spark and runs now. I just need to rejet I think it's running rich.

dynofox
09-10-2009, 06:17 PM
What mods are done to the motor and what carb are you using? If the quad is pretty stock and you are using the stock 34mm pj a 150ish main jet should be just fine.

oachs83
09-10-2009, 07:48 PM
I currently have a 34mm pwk with a 152 main and 48 pilot. Major mods are FMF pipe and silencer open air box.