PDA

View Full Version : Gps

Chet
09-09-2009, 07:27 PM
looking to get a hand held or the pocket type GPS for when we go riding, the other day my buddy & I were stumped for about 1/2 hr before we go back on the right trail to head back, what kind are most of the riders using when they go to a new area to be certain to get back.

thanks
Chet

honda400ex2003
09-09-2009, 08:58 PM
i am also kind of curious as to what you guys are using. i have an old time magellen 315 that i use. lol. it shows the tracks i have created and you can store points on it so it works half way decent but not the best. steve

tri5ron
09-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I NEVER get lost....
I'm a MAN,.....
I DONT NEED A MAP....
and I WONT ASK for Directions !
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
"Is it getting dark out?"
"I'm getting kinda low on fuel"
"sure hope my wife has got something going for dinner"
"do ya think we should light a signal fire"
"does anyone know we're out here???"
"do ya think they'll come lookin' for us???"
v
v
v
v
v
Boy I sure would like to have one of those Garmin Rino's with the FRS/GMRS radio's!!!

:D :D :D

Ba9801
09-09-2009, 11:24 PM
I just use the google Maps app on my iphone when we are not sure where we are, It will not map your trail but you can look at your position in satellite view and can get a pretty good idea of where you are and where you need to go. You can also store your starting location. Not to bad for a free app on a phone.

BikeSwimLaugh
09-10-2009, 01:03 AM
We use the Garmin Rino 110's....you can store tracks and pretty much do everything, plus you can talk to other units and see where those other units are (and have been). Very useful little buggers, about $140

I do a lot of cycling and I have a Garmin Edge 705, it monitors heart-rate and lots of technical stuff, not what you'd need for riding...BUT you can go home, plug it in your computer and then go to google-Earth and see your whole ride on Satellite. Now you can see where that trail went, where forks led and other ways to create loops. Very useful, but at $600 a bit over-kill.

You want a unit that can do tracks, that way you can back-track from where you are and/or re-run the track another time.

TN_cowboy
09-10-2009, 05:16 AM
i use a garmin. i dont remember the kind but it is blue and it will fit in my pocket. it will even work in the truck. you can save 50 trails and 999 waypoints.

omeeomy
09-10-2009, 09:53 AM
garmin ledgend
or the garmin etrex it has a nice bar mount you can get for it

aDviSol2y
09-10-2009, 12:44 PM
a long string works for me! :D

tri5ron
12-03-2009, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
a long string works for me! :D ha-ha, I like that one, it probably works better than my trail of bread crumbs... Damn squirrels, and mice !

(Just giving this thread a bump),

to see if anyone else uses a GPS handheld, and what you like/dislike about them.

dankbud42o
12-03-2009, 01:48 PM
Whos your cell phone provider? If u got verizon get a Motorola Droid! I was gon get a handheld gps but I bought this phone n the gps apps are AWESOME. There's n app called My Tracks and it logs everything. So sweet.

slightlybent47
12-03-2009, 02:38 PM
I’m watching this thread. I am looking for a gps as well.

omeeomy
12-03-2009, 02:42 PM
e trex is the best ive found

dankbud42o
12-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Whos your cell phone provider? If u got verizon get a Motorola Droid! I was gon get a handheld gps but I bought this phone n the gps apps are AWESOME. There's n app called My Tracks and it logs everything. So sweet.