PDA

View Full Version : header wrap??

prettyfly93
09-09-2009, 06:21 PM
is it ok to wrap the header??? i want to make sure. im not sure if it does anyhting to the motor or anything. i have seen it on other quads

Pack
09-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Yeah it's fine.

Toadz400
09-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I use header wrap on my motorcycle with no problems so far but I know a lot of people believe it will lead to cracking/breaking of the pipe from the extreme heat being trapped by the wrap. Do some research on it but I've seen it done on quads with no issues before. My biggest concern on a quad would be keeping it clean.

Pack
09-12-2009, 09:51 PM
I've read in multiple reliable quad magazines where it's used, and it's supposed to increase the reliability. Heat is not a good thing.

If your header cracks, it's not because of heat wrap.

Toadz400
09-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by Pack
I've read in multiple reliable quad magazines where it's used, and it's supposed to increase the reliability. Heat is not a good thing.

If your header cracks, it's not because of heat wrap.

Increase the reliability of what? The reason why header wrap is used is to keep the under hood temperatures of a vehicle down and to increase exhaust velocity.
There are many professionals that believe it will lead to exhaust pipe failure. The theory behind that is that the header wrap traps in so much heat that it goes beyond what the pipe is rated for, possibly even leading to melted or cracked pipes. The best alternative now is ceramic coating.

Trxracr
09-20-2009, 08:38 PM
iv been told that you get better fuel burn with the higher exhaust temp alotta the ice racers around here run it cuz it gets down to like 30 below here in the land of beer n cheese (wisconsin) lol