PDA

View Full Version : Huge problem

Firemedic552
09-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I recently bought a used 2006 400ex. Last night I was going for a night ride and nothing came about it. Two days after I walk in the garage and notice a 8inch spot of oil under the bike. It was under the oil pan. I checked the oil and the bike is empty. I am no mechanical wizard but does any have any ideas? I cannot find where it came from. Thanks

honda400ex2003
09-09-2009, 11:53 AM
i would check out the drain plugs and the gaskets on each end and in the middle of the machine first on the bottom, then move up the cylinder to the head and so on. also check the oil lines and the cooler too. there may be a small hole in something that made it leak out of a line. it does not take much to have it leak. a needle size hole could cause a ton of oil to drip over a long time. good luck, steve

katch26
09-09-2009, 12:52 PM
it could come from anywhere. mine just did the same thing and it was leaking out of the flywheel cover gasket. like he said check the obvious ones first.

Pipeless416
09-09-2009, 01:07 PM
an 8 inch puddle isn't a ton, considering how much oil spreads. yes, theres a problem, but first i want to know what procedure you use to check your oil.