PDA

View Full Version : '99-'04 to '05+ differences on rear bumper/fender

acammer
09-09-2009, 08:15 AM
I have a newly acquired 2001 400ex that I want to add a rear rack to - and not the 6pack rack I see is fairly common, but a full rack like this Fuse Powersports Sport-rack (http://www.fuse-powersports.com/products/item_details.php?ProductID=0317-KDR9). My wife likes to ride double with me some times and go exploring, but she really likes having something other than me to hold onto - so this looks like it'll do the trick.

Here is the question, its advertised for an '05+ machine, I have an '01. I don't know much about the 400ex, but the second gen seems to have had some cosmetic changes, added reverse, other little things, but is mostly the same as far as the frame goes. Did the rear bumper/seat/plastics change at all? Thats really the only thing that might keep this from working on my '01. Anybody ever have one of these?

The manufacture responded to my inqury to let me know it may work, but they've never had any older machine to try it on, so they are unsure.

http://www.fuse-powersports.com/images/products/0317-KDR9/0317_400ex_rack_on_machine_-_Low_Res_lg.jpg

aDviSol2y
09-09-2009, 08:26 AM
99.99% sure it will work.

Snipe
09-09-2009, 09:06 AM
If only thing it bolts to is the grab bar then between the second and first gen it would most likely work the third gen I dont think it would as the rear fenders on thoughs kick up kinda high.

Snipe
09-09-2009, 09:08 AM
I know why there saying it wont work. Because on the first gen bike the Seat and rear fenders are attached all one piece. On second gen and third gen bikes the seat comes off leaving the plastics attached to the bike.

that is why cause it would be in the way of the plastics to remove the seat and get to the air box/ carb

quadrider00
09-09-2009, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by Snipe
I know why there saying it wont work. Because on the first gen bike the Seat and rear fenders are attached all one piece. On second gen and third gen bikes the seat comes off leaving the plastics attached to the bike.

that is why cause it would be in the way of the plastics to remove the seat and get to the air box/ carb

the seat and plastics come off in one piece on the second gen the same as the first gen... not sure about the third tho

quadrider00
09-09-2009, 09:12 AM
its actually a first generation EX with the rack in the picture so im sure it will fit

acammer
09-09-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by quadrider00
its actually a first generation EX with the rack in the picture so im sure it will fit

No kidding. The manufacture was sure they hadn't tried it on a 1st gen. I wouldn't know - I'm new to this scene - always had MX bikes prior to this.