PDA

View Full Version : Am I running rich? (clip inside)

Saul76
09-09-2009, 08:07 AM
Have a look & listen and tell me if the bike sounds rich?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmHLz-e6t_k

86 Quad R
09-09-2009, 08:49 AM
really hard to tell without actually being there. besides, the best way to tell is by being in some terrain that'll put a load on the engine. your getting nothing but wheel spin on that loose *** gravel.

??? have you not figured "plug chopping" as of yet?

1promodfan
09-09-2009, 07:40 PM
Now, I'm no expert........but too me it sounds a little rich. It don't sound like its turning up real hard. But again, that is just my opinion......maybe Neil (C-Leigh Racing) will chime in. He's good about listening at a bike and tell you about the jetting.

250r grave yard
09-09-2009, 07:44 PM
it sounds like your pilot is to big the revs staying up high when you letting off the throttle and like stated its not hiting that hard also sounds like your main is to rich check your plug that will tell you every thing you need to know bout your jetting

Saul76
09-09-2009, 09:15 PM
Neil feels the pilot is too lean. :D

You get so many different opinions on the internet. Hah!

Anyways, thanks. I gotta pick up a few plugs this weekend, cause - yes - I know how to do a plug chop. :p

That said - I don't think plug chops are the be all, end all of jetting/tuning a 2-stroke.

86 Quad R
09-09-2009, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by Saul76

Anyways, thanks. I gotta pick up a few plugs this weekend, cause - yes - I know how to do a plug chop. :p

That said - I don't think plug chops are the be all, end all of jetting/tuning a 2-stroke.

ohhhh and why is that? juss curious.:cool:

Saul76
09-09-2009, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
ohhhh and why is that? juss curious.:cool:

Your mixture could be oil rich and fuel lean (low octane, strange ratio etc) or vice versa - giving you a false reading.

And if you don't do it exactly right you can get a false reading.

Lots of variables ....

They are good, they do work, but it shouldn't be your only way to jet a bike. If you can't get really close on jetting just from actual riding and going on feel of the powerband and sounds - somethings up.

I know my jettings close to where I need it with colder temps creeping in daily - nice to get other opinions too. :)

86 Quad R
09-09-2009, 09:47 PM
true that with the variables. i go by color and feel and sound. when the mix of them all are right you know it. :D

Saul76
09-10-2009, 09:42 AM
Another thing about plug chops that I think most people overlook is the fact you're only getting good information about WOT.

The average trails rider spends most of his/her time at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle - nobody rides trails or tight woods at WOT all day.

If you have an overly lean mixture at 1/4 to 3/4 throttle you can just as easily seize a piston that way.

When I was building my three wheeler (1982 Hondaline 300R 2 stroke) I went from a stock 250 with a 27MM PE to a 300R with a 38MM PJ - in between I changed reed cages, reeds, pipes, filters, open and sealed filter setups etc etc ... you can only imagine the amount of tuning that came with every modification.

Normally after every change I would take it out to that road in the video above and with a main jet I felt would be too big - I'd crack it wide open and make sure it 'blubbered' - I would then drop back a size at a time until the throttle 'cleaned up' and became very crisp - until it screamed for mercy almost. Then, to be safe, I'd bump it up one size.

This worked great in my application for getting the WOT jetted. WOT plug chop afterwards would confirm as much.

Obviously this is the stage I am at right now - but - I love to get other peoples opinions at the same time, which is why I put the video up.

Thanks guys.

Honda 250r 001
09-10-2009, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by Saul76

i agree, the pilot is too lean, thats what causes that.