PDA

View Full Version : Shipping Quads

matt14c
09-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Anyone ever ship or have a quad shipped to them? How are the prices? What company did you use? Would you do it again?

Pappy
09-08-2009, 10:29 PM
I remember folks saying air forward (or something like that) did well

matt14c
09-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Forward Air? just googled it and thats what I came up with. Didnt think it would cost that much :(

Pappy
09-08-2009, 10:38 PM
Check around for sure. There are alot of shipping companies (frieght) that arent so bad. You will hav to create it ofcourse but thats not to hard, and you will need to drop it off at the terminal.

What trucking companies are near you?

matt14c
09-08-2009, 10:41 PM
Near me pretty much everything I would imagine. Im about 35 min from Detroit Metro Airport and about 30 min from Toledo Airport. Lots of trucking companies because of all the automotive parts or lack there of that used to go through around here. My dad just had a Mustang shipped in from arizona for 1/2 of what forward air just quoted me on a quad. 1/3 the size and 1/10 of the weight???? :huh

QuadJunkies
09-09-2009, 12:19 AM
We just shipped a quad to New York all the way from here in Idaho threw R&L Carrier. They take alot better care of your large freight than companies such as FedEx. My Husband has worked for both(currently at R&L) and R&L's damage control is much less.
We didnt crate ours, we put in on a palate and shrink wrapped the snot out of it. Price was quite abit cheaper that way and beucase its FREIGHT its handled much differently than say something shipped by air or ground. They automatically insure for a pretty large amt. we bought extra insurance for very little price .
We got a screamin deal ,but generally unless you are a business is pretty expensive to ship. Depending on how far its going my guess is roughly 700.00-900.00 .

smr
09-09-2009, 05:54 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
Check around for sure. There are alot of shipping companies (frieght) that arent so bad. You will hav to create it ofcourse but thats not to hard, and you will need to drop it off at the terminal.

What trucking companies are near you?

pappy is 100% correct. Check with all the frieght companies. Like he said you will have to create it and drop it off but it will save you a lot of money. I actually shipped one from cali to ky for $150.00. It can be done if you shop around.

old domian and yellow frieght usually go just about anywhere.

QuadJunkies
09-09-2009, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by smr
pappy is 100% correct. Check with all the frieght companies. Like he said you will have to create it and drop it off but it will save you a lot of money. I actually shipped one from cali to ky for $150.00. It can be done if you shop around.

old domian and yellow frieght usually go just about anywhere.

You dont always HAVE to crate ship an ATV.Crates typically DO cost more and are cared for worse. Crates get stacked,thats why palat shipping is actually sometimes better. Your quad gets handled better as they cant stack on top of it so less chance of damage. I hear the horror stories almost every night of how this stuff gets handled from my Husband lol
We paid an extra 35.00 to drop ship vs. having new owner come to facility to pick up.
Where did you ship a quad for that price? Thats crazy cheap,most are not that cheap!!
I would also really check into who the companiy is. I think you would be surprised (even with the top names) how poor there damage is and taking out an insurance claim is a BIG PITA as it is not cut and dry what so ever,

Just a few things to think about to someone shipping .

smr
09-09-2009, 11:31 AM
yellow frieght.

The guy I got the qaud from took the a-arms off and the rear wheels and strapped it down to a palet. (he laid the a-arms and rear wheels on the nurf bars) It worked out well and yellow really gave me a good deal.

the main thing is you either must have a loading dock or be able to take it and pick it up at a terminal.

matt14c
09-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Cheapest I have found is $565 and that was an estimate not an exact so im guessing I would be close to $600. Still not sure why so much. My dad just paid $271 to ship a mustang from Arizona. It took 23 days but its not like im in a rush he's getting me the number for that company to see if they handle cycles or not.

smr
09-09-2009, 01:59 PM
what pappy and I are trying to say is.....look at the regular frieght companys instead of the people that specialize in shipping quads. You will have to attach it to a pallet but it is usually about half the price.

hontrx265r
09-09-2009, 09:07 PM
I've used roadway freight on more then one occasion. Crated and prepped myself but never paid more then 500.00 from east coast to west.

3TV
09-16-2009, 06:44 PM
Well an ATV shipping company just left our house with my wife's old Grizzly 700. The company is called Specialized Transport, and does most of their business because of ebay. The driver said he picks up two to three ATVs every day. He picked up ours tonight at 5:30 PM, and then had to pick up two more in another town fifty miles away. Tonight he will drive them 250 miles to Salt Lake City, where they will be loaded on different trucks to be taken across the country (to West Virginia in our ATVs case). It was interesting to me that the driver said he had never ever seen an ATV with as many miles on it as ours had (2,307), but he had also never seen one in as good of condition. Apparently most used ATVs are beat up badly with very few miles on them.

This was the easiest I have ever shipped anything. They show up at your house with a semi-truck that has a hydraulic lift gate on the back. The driver spends 5 minutes checking over your ATV and writing down any damage he sees. Then he lowers the lift gate, you drive your ATV on the lift gate, and he lifts it up to the level of the trailer bed, and you drive it into the trailer and onto a pallet that is already in the trailer. Then you're done, take the keys out becaue they need to be mailed to the new owner. The truck driver ties the ATV down to the pallet, hands you your copy of the paper work, and drives away. No removing tires to tie it down to a pallet. No draining fluids. Just load and go, nice and simple like.

3TV

suzettec
12-17-2009, 05:41 PM
I got my quad shipped from NJ to FL for $450 total. Took a week. Went really smooth. I found a company by searching "Auto Transport" on google. Read some reviews and went with Crowley.

http://www.crowleyautotransport.com/

TTracer#22
12-17-2009, 07:24 PM
We've used R&L and Estes several times shipping from Calif. to Pa. always put them on a pallet and shrink wrap with black usually between $300-$500