PDA

View Full Version : can't search 2 or 3, hotcam question

TRXRacer1
09-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Stop reading and don't reply if you have no experience.

Building a 11:1 431 and I'm not sure what cam to go with. Who here has ran the current stg 2 and stg 3 and what's your thoughts between them? Will there be anything left in the bottom with the stg 3? I see it's got a fairly long duration.

drew416ex
09-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I have run both the new stage 2 and the stage 3 on my stroker. The stage 2 was excellent on my 416, but when I stroked it I wasnt happy. In the upper rpms it would "fall flat on its face". IT just wouldnt pull anymore. Then I got the stage 3. I didnt feel a loss in low end, but it pulls strait to redline now. I cant find it now to show you but my dyno chart showed it start making good power from 4000rpm and peaked between 8000 and 9000.

Honda#4
09-08-2009, 08:44 PM
I have the new stg 2 with my 416 and it has noticable low end power but it definently kicks in when going through the midrange and it tops off around halfway between the mid and topend.

My opinion is it would depend on where you want your power the most, I figure the stg 2 to be a midrange cam, and thus no experience with a stg 3 I take it as a topend only cam, now since your running a 431 with a 11:1 I myself would go for a stg 2 mostly because I feel that if you aint running higher than 11:1 I think your not matching your power output correctly. What I mean is that when I ride I mostly do 3rd and 4th gear riding and thats around half to alittle over half for throttle position and if you go and stick a stg 3 in and ride like that your not using the full benefit of the cam the way im thinking if your still with me yet, now with a stg 2 that throttle position would make more sense using that cuz then you would be using more of the midrange thus what that cam is suppose to do. Now I did not consider the gearing aspect, that will also play role in where you want your power.

Again this is my opinion and appolgize for a long post lol!

TRXRacer1
09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Thanks for the insight guys. Drew, very appreciative to hear from someone that has ran both cams. What kind of static comp were you running?

2001400exer
09-10-2009, 08:38 PM
duration is kinda irrelevant i say this because you can have two cams with the same duration but make power in two different rpm ranges...its all about intake closing point...the later the intake closes the higher the rpm range at which the motor will begin to make its best power..if running lower then 12:1 i suggest the stage 2 this is because 11:1 with the stage 3 will have lower psi in the cylinder and thus lose bottom end performance and throttle response along with some power throughout the rpms

i figured the closeing point of the intake at one time for the stage 2 and stage 3 cams the stage 2 was arround like 53 degrees or so and the stage 3 was arround 61.5 degrees...so power range on the stage 2 is about 4800 for peak TQ and about 6800 for peak hp OR real close...and the stage 3 will make peak tq arround 5600 and peak hp arround 7600 or real close .... so it depends where you want your peak powers to be at...but the stage 3 will make more hp then the stage 2 but i would run atleast a 12:1 piston with it...and 11:1 with the stage 2

TRXRacer1
09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by 2001400exer
duration is kinda irrelevant i say this because you can have two cams with the same duration but make power in two different rpm ranges...its all about intake closing point...the later the intake closes the higher the rpm range at which the motor will begin to make its best power..if running lower then 12:1 i suggest the stage 2 this is because 11:1 with the stage 3 will have lower psi in the cylinder and thus lose bottom end performance and throttle response along with some power throughout the rpms

i figured the closeing point of the intake at one time for the stage 2 and stage 3 cams the stage 2 was arround like 53 degrees or so and the stage 3 was arround 61.5 degrees...so power range on the stage 2 is about 4800 for peak TQ and about 6800 for peak hp OR real close...and the stage 3 will make peak tq arround 5600 and peak hp arround 7600 or real close .... so it depends where you want your peak powers to be at...but the stage 3 will make more hp then the stage 2 but i would run atleast a 12:1 piston with it...and 11:1 with the stage 2 Thanks for the input!

I ran the numbers and I get what you're saying about the low end but the dynamic compression with a stg 3 and an 11:1 piston really isn't too bad but it is a fairly big jump from the stg 2. I'm sure I'll end up with the stage 2 in the end but the 3 isn't totally out yet I guess.

drew416ex
09-11-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Thanks for the insight guys. Drew, very appreciative to hear from someone that has ran both cams. What kind of static comp were you running?

Im not sure, ive never tried to figure it out.

TRXRacer1
09-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
Im not sure, ive never tried to figure it out. What comp piston are you running?

Edit

I see it in your sig, thanks.

drew416ex
09-12-2009, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
What comp piston are you running?

Edit

I see it in your sig, thanks.

Im also not running a base gasket so that will bump the compression a few tenths.

TRXRacer1
09-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by drew416ex
Im also not running a base gasket so that will bump the compression a few tenths. WHAT??? I keep reading that not running a base gasket is bad!

Haha, thanks Drew.

rob_990
09-12-2009, 05:59 PM
u can use honda bond instead

drew416ex
09-12-2009, 06:44 PM
Its bad if your not careful. If you put too much silicone or whatever you use you risk clogging oil ports. I havent run a base gasket since ive owned this thing and never had a problem. The only time I didnt run one was when I had a 12.5:1 416 because the deck height was right, my other setups were not so I took the gasket out.

TRXRacer1
09-12-2009, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by rob_990
u can use honda bond instead I was being sarcastic rob, there's been some newbs lately saying you can not do this.