PDA

View Full Version : Was cutting this stem necessary?

mikeclem
09-08-2009, 03:02 PM
Hello all,
I purchased an '87. I am in the process of rebuilding it. I have made my way down to the steering stem and found this (see picture). It appears to have been modified. Was there a reason for this? Does it help with performance? Is this preferred over the stock stem?
Also, does anyone have a similar picture they could post of what it SHOULD look like, stock from the factory that they could share with me? And if the price is right, does anyone have a stock stem they would like to part with? Thanks,

Mike

rsss396
09-08-2009, 03:23 PM
ice racers do this so the wheels can be turned more when sliding threw the corner

attaboy
09-08-2009, 03:24 PM
Looks like the steering stops have been cut down some. My opinion, yes it needed to be done. It helps you be able to turn the wheels sharper, making carving the corners easier.

deathman53
09-08-2009, 06:04 PM
I can see the purpose for doing that, it would help a certain sector of racers' needs, mostly flat track/tt, supermoto and ice racers. Its very similar to the idea that 3 wheeler racers did back in the day and those who still run today do. Cut back the steering stops to allow a sharper turn and enable you to be able to "counter steer" to avoid spinning out in a turn. This would normally happen in a "full lock slide", you are leaning in one direction and bars are turned in the opposite direction to avoid spinning out. I did this to my trikes and honda even offered a 85/86 atc250r kit that included a smaller gas tank, different shrouds, different radiator brackets, different bottom triple clamp, hoses and such to enable this. It was a huge hit to mx and tt racers, I have this kit, it was called a short track kit or increased steering angle kit. Its the same basic idea that is still used today.

here is marty hart doing a "full lock slide" with a hrc "special"(meaning you weren't able to buy it) short track kit. Its just funny how stock that trike looks(minus the obvouis number plate and short track kit), but in reality how almost every part of that trike is "unobtainable" by normal people.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/Photo2.jpg

woodsracer144
09-08-2009, 06:24 PM
woods riders do it as well... so we can turn the bars like no tomorrow when we need to... one of the easiest thing and best things you can do...