PDA

View Full Version : Aluminum Clutch Plates

86 Quad R
09-08-2009, 06:41 AM
which aftermarket company out there sales aluminum clutch plates in their kits?

thanks in advance. :cool:

zedicus00
09-08-2009, 03:13 PM
barnet sells a kit with aluminum fibers and strong springs.

dont think ive seen aluminum "steels"

i have seen ceramic ones years ago.

86 Quad R
09-08-2009, 03:17 PM
i've got some that came in a box o goodies sometime ago but have no idea the manufacturer. they work really well en i'd like to get a backup set. :confused:

matt250r21
09-08-2009, 03:29 PM
You can use OEM Honda CR125 aluminum clutch plates. Plates from a 1992 CR125 is what I used.

86 Quad R
09-08-2009, 03:34 PM
thanks for the 411 matt i'll look into that. :cool:

deathman53
09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
why aluminum clutch plates? They wear faster, contaminate the oil quickly and slip more than steel plates. Just ask any ktm 2 stroke dirtbike owner, what is the fastest thing that is replaced with the motor. Alot will say replacing aluminum plates to steel aftermarkets.

thedeatons
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Cannondale originally used aluminum clutch plates for lightweight, high performance...

The idea is less rotating weight, etc.

They do wear fast though, you will see the tabs roll over VERY quickly when using them on dirt. In sand they should last quite a while because sand doesn't jar a drivetrain like sticky dirt does....

It would be interesting to see a weight comparison using a nice scale!

James

Rich250RRacer
09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by deathman53
why aluminum clutch plates? They wear faster, contaminate the oil quickly and slip more than steel plates. Just ask any ktm 2 stroke dirtbike owner, what is the fastest thing that is replaced with the motor. Alot will say replacing aluminum plates to steel aftermarkets.

Most all CR's from the mid-eighties and newer came aluminum plates or a mix of both steel and aluminum. Less rotatiing mass is nice for a high RPM motor, but the difference isn't that great. And the oil contamination is terrible.

86 Quad R
09-08-2009, 09:15 PM
i'm just trying them out. doing a little experimenting. the ones i have seem to be some sort of hardened material. kinda like the ones on the barnett site. i can deffinately tell the difference with my but dyno. i ran them last part of last season and they seem to be holding up to the abuse ok. i'll keep an eye on them for sure. the contamination isnt a concern as i change the oil after every trip out.