PDA

View Full Version : Outlaw 525 Review

mickey400ex
09-08-2009, 12:34 AM
I just picked up an 08 outlaw this past weekend and ive decided to give my raves and rants on it... first off.. this quad is awesome for the trails... i rode some great trails this weekend in s.e ky and this thing just eats them up..

The IRS works great and just soaks up the bumps and rocks.. I didnt even drag this thing one time unlike the other guys i was riding with...

The only thing I have to complain about is the performance.. I am coming from a dune ported banshee so I can definately tell a difference.. I did end up racing a yfz athena 480 w/ full exhaust and intake.. this race was 100% dead even until i pulled him about 1/3 bike length about the top of 5th... but a bone stock 700 raptor pulled me everytime by a bike length.. whether it was out of the hole or a roll, i always went down.. the bike has a hmf slip on and thats it.. im thinking it needs jetted, so ive came here to find out about where i need to be on the jets.. if anyone can help, id sure appreciate it

TeryxMudder
09-08-2009, 04:52 AM
Mine definitly seems alittle on the lean side as it will crack and sneeze on deceleration. So I also want to get my jetting sorted.
Lean jetting from factory is a pretty common thing for KTM. Over on the KTM bike forums the first thing everyone always does is rework the factory jetting. I think KTM over leans them for emissions reasons.

As far as being slower than a raptor. I had a '07 LE Raptor for a very short time about a year ago. I ended up selling it in about two weeks because I just didn't like the ergonomics. It just seemed like the seat and foot pegs were to high and the handle bars were to low. Like they took a big bike and set it up for someone thats 5'5"! And I was never really impressed by its power either. I clearly remember thinking it was kind of a dog for being a 700.

Anyway this outlaw is everything wanted that the raptor wasn't. The ergo are good for me and I can spread out on it. And my KTM pulls like a freight train on mid and top end. But if your coming from a heavly ported and piped Banshee then yea any bike will probably seem slow! So if your not happy get a KTM hard parts book. KTM makes all kinds of super trick factory soup up parts. Cams shafts and big bore kits you name it!

For a good sorce on engine related info try KTMTalk.com

somewon
09-08-2009, 06:39 AM
Hi and welcome!

if you poke around this forum a little you will find there are quite a few mods that can be done to these quads. As far as jettting goes most people use the JD jet kit which comes with two needles and a bunch of jets. If you follow the directions for your altitude it will usually be pretty accurate. or if you do go wild with the motor you can call and they will give you further jetting recomendations.

just like any other quad sold today they come bottled up from the factory.