PDA

View Full Version : stock up graders

taylor600
09-07-2009, 06:00 PM
what is the most effective upgrades you can do to a stock 400, best bag for your buck. i'm looking for upgrades as in add ons not looking to go big bore or high compression yet , thing like header or power lid ,jet kit , rev box , spark key , fliter, or open air box , whats works best????

thebig450es
09-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Take the air box lid off= free
Buy some jets=$20
Get a used slip on=$200
Sparks key=$30
good air filter=$30ish
Have Some fun lol

dalejiw25
09-07-2009, 06:42 PM
Hey maybe "thebig450es" will cut you a nice deal on his almost new Pro circuit T4 that's a nice pipe, And a good start.

Ryan'07400ex
09-08-2009, 03:10 PM
Welcome to the forum I see this was your first post

I am just trying to help ... use "search" to find answers because right now the site is slow and I am 100% sure this question has been asked 5 times within the last year so you should be able to find a bunch of info.

When using search you have to have four letters so I usually just put "s" on stuff haha and if one term doesn't work think of another word someone may of used or shorten a phrase with.

You can also look at my signature to see my few mods, I really like it alot. However I wish I would got front shocks first. I've spent around 1,000 dollars and still haven't got any. I would trade most of my mods for shocks. However don't think you gotta spend that much because stock my 400ex was fun to I just know I could make it way better if I could start over

dariusld
09-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex

When using search you have to have four letters so I usually just put "s" on stuff haha and if one term doesn't work think of another word someone may of used or shorten a phrase with.

When searching short words use the asterick. "Oil" becomes "*Oil*"

Originally posted by thebig450es
Buy some jets=$20
Get a used slip on=$200
Sparks key=$30
good air filter=$30ish
Have Some fun lol

This is the perfect start in my opinion. Rockymountainatv has the Lexx slip-on for $199.

And then those little free mods. Remove your choke, grind down your header welds, remove your snorkle, remove your parking brake and......

bigbad400
09-08-2009, 05:57 PM
dude the hmf slip ons are only 227 shipped from ebay and they are the best, any color and free spark arrestor and jets there is no better deal. the k&n filters are like 60 bucks but its also the best performance filter there is in my opinion. i dont recommend doing the sparks key unless your pretty mechanical inclined. it was to advanced of a key for my application and i didnt catch it untill i fried my motor, a +4 degree key would have bean better suited for my motor and i could have saved it and still had the added power. now its a 440 so who cares now!

as for another slight gain you can grind down the welds on the inside of the head pipe to open it up. i felt some considerable throttle responce gain. i feel that for the 30 min it takes to do it its well worth it.

TRXRacer1
09-08-2009, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by thebig450es
Buy some jets=$20
Get a used slip on=$200
Sparks key=$30
good air filter=$30ish
Have Some fun lol $200 for a used slip-on??? haha!

taylor600
09-08-2009, 07:21 PM
thanks guys for the input, i picked up a used big gun slip on, put a dyno jet kit in, got a k&n with outer wear, big difference allready in performance. the open lid is something i'd like to try but i do alot of trail driving, concerned about water getting in the the box, spark key is what i'm looking at next . is this worth doing (i dont mean money but time wise) for the gain. i read spark key claims big gains. 4-6 degrees which work best for a 9-1 compression? is a hot cam any good in a stock engine or better for the bigbore which i probably will do sooner then later.

tri5ron
09-08-2009, 07:38 PM
http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/tri5ron/search.gif

racerdan24
09-08-2009, 07:49 PM
2 words....FRONT SHOCKS! Get a set of 450R shocks..start looking around and you can get a decent set for between 150 and 200 on here. Power and speed upgrades are great but if you can't control it or put it to the ground,its money NOT well spent...Believe me because i asked the same question and couldn't understand it until i actually did it.....Then you can start adding the power and performance upgrades. You will not be dissapointed!