View Full Version : Army vets or thinking of joining check it out!

infantry317
01-11-2003, 09:32 PM
This is the web site for my old battalion that I run. This stuff is mostly from the early 90's.
www.geocities.com/infantry317

infantry317
01-11-2003, 09:38 PM
And no, i'm not a recruiter. Not in at all anymore.

Woodsrider
01-12-2003, 09:27 AM
Good luck with it. I hope you get a lot of hits. I have tried to use websites for my old unit to find guys I served with. And had no luck:( (3/187inf 101st) I was a TOW-II team leader. But we pulled a lot of missions with out our TOWs. Our C/O was a hardcore GRUNT who liked to hump every where. We went to Panama for jungle training in '87 and packed 90mm recoiless through the jungle for three weeks.:grr We spent three weeks in NTC as 11B also, WTF! thats where the TOW really shines and he takes us there to hump our arses off.

infantry317
01-12-2003, 09:32 AM
Hey Soggyrider,
The site has been fairly successful, we've got quite a few e-mail links. I've been told I'm being nominated as a Distinguished Member of the 17th Infantry Regiment this year for running the site for the last four years (I'm excited). Yeah, we had to hump the 81mm mortar around the 'Ma also, what fun! :D

Woodsrider
01-12-2003, 09:47 AM
So I take it your were an 11M? I scored too low on the math for 11M I guess.(thank God) 11H has got to be the best combat arms MOS. "reach out and kill some one":D Or "TOWII the next best thing to being there":D

Distinguished member, cool. I havent been in touch with any one from the 187th ARCT in years. The reunions are a blast. I sat a the table with two MOH winners in Nashville in 1988. We also got to sit in on the preveiw of Hamburger Hill, with the vets who were actually there for the battle.

infantry317
01-12-2003, 09:51 AM
No actually 11C (mortars), M is mech. I would have rather been 11H, I kicked butt at tank ID cards (one of like 5 guys in the company that could get them all right...lol)! I enilsted 11x, didn't know they could put you anywhere they wanted :mad: I damn near cried when they said 11C, oh well, I'm out now. I probably had it a lot easier than the line doggies. ;)
Later,
Scott

Bean
01-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Hamburger Hill is a sweet movie, had to suck hardcore to be there though

bsb64
01-12-2003, 09:59 AM
Infantry did you guys have these? Mind blowing stuff.............

http://www.unisolv.com/video/losat2.htm

Woodsrider
01-12-2003, 10:02 AM
Oh yea thats right! :o shows how much I remember form 12 years ago! I felt sorry for the mech guys. Bradleys, ITVs, and the APCs are a ***** to clean. and pullin PMCS was bad enough on a jeep and hummer. Jeeps really sucked :blah

I went in 11X also, then they looked at your ASVAB scores and how you did in basic to determine your final MOS. THose with the best math scores got Mortars. At least that is what we were told up on Sand Hill.

infantry317
01-12-2003, 10:03 AM
Yep, that would have sucked. I got shot @ once during the end of the L.A. Riots and damn near pi$$ed on myself, I can't imagine that. While you're in and gung ho, you sit and wish for battle. I'm glad I never had to go through anything too terrible now.

infantry317
01-12-2003, 10:06 AM
I don't know if that was a TOW, Soggy could tell ya. Cool video.

Woodsrider
01-12-2003, 10:07 AM
Originally posted by bsb64
Infantry did you guys have these? Mind blowing stuff.............

http://www.unisolv.com/video/losat2.htm

What is it? It took too long to DL I didnt want to wait.
If it is new technology I am sure I didnt have it. We were just playing with GPS when I got out on '90.

Woodsrider
01-12-2003, 10:18 AM
I just waited for it to DL and no I didnt get to play with that. I think that is what is replacing the TOWII system. It is laser guided instead of wire. and flies much faster. I'll have to scan some pics from the TOW range and post em.

Woodsrider
01-12-2003, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by infantry317
Yep, that would have sucked. I got shot @ once during the end of the L.A. Riots and damn near pi$$ed on myself, I can't imagine that. While you're in and gung ho, you sit and wish for battle. I'm glad I never had to go through anything too terrible now.

When did you ETS? I got out in July of '90 and was recalled for Desert Storm in January of '91. And was released again April. I never saw the sand, I made it to Germany and we were getting our Desert BDU's the day they stopped the shooting. We were supposed to ship out 4 days later.

infantry317
01-12-2003, 10:40 AM
I got in to my battalion, just after they got back from the Panama invasion and got out May 93.