PDA

View Full Version : Need help on what a 250r is worth

oachs83
09-07-2009, 07:47 AM
I am selling a 2005 TRX 450r that is all stock low miles (still has original tires) for $3100. I found a guy who wants to partial trade me. He has a 1986 250r that the whole motor was completley gone through bottom and top end and good all around body. He had a few more aftermarket stuff but I cant remember everything. He also is throwing in a whole bunch of spare parts basically enough to almost make two more motors. Anyways the catch is he tried a aftermarket cdi and was told he could run a hotter plug and put a hole in the top of the piston. He said he would fix it or leave it as is. He is going to make up the cash difference from what my quad is worth to his and I am more than capable of fixing it myself so I can get a couple extra hundred out of it with it broke.

My main question is I have never rode or have 0 experience with a 250r quad. What is one in this condition worth? What should a guy look for when buying these quads. Like known problem areas etc. etc. I was thinking my 450r for his 250r and $1500. Let me know if thats resonable? Thanks

Latemodel32
09-07-2009, 07:57 AM
check the frame around the foot pegs and motor mounts that is where they crack mostly

oachs83
09-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks, I will do that. I hopefully get the deal done tomorrow and will post some pictures. Do you think $1500 for a non running the quad is fair if everything is in good condition?

1promodfan
09-07-2009, 08:10 AM
You may be able to do a search on this, as many people has asked the same question. Stand the bike on the grab bar and check the frame really good. There are a few weak spots on these....ie....around the motor, motor mounts, around the foot pegs ets. Check all the bushings, like if there is any play in the swing arm or a-arms. Check the engine for leaks, make sure there are no busted cases.

Make sure you ride it and get a feel for it. Make sure it'll shift in all the gears. See if the clutch seems fine. Hope this helps out a little. Maybe someone can chime in with some more pointers.

woodsracer144
09-07-2009, 01:32 PM
he can ride it you dip! haha theres a hole in the piston! hehe

i would say 1500 sounds fair but pics and a mod list would help... the 250r is a cheap quad as long as your not playing with the prox cyls and duncans PC2000 and stuff if its all oem stuff its easy going... you can do that top end easy... they are a breeze to work on... if you get it and your stuck... come here neil and and rustyatv know a ton... theres alot of other people that know as well but those 2 helped me the most...

good luck!

250r grave yard
09-07-2009, 02:15 PM
yea id say its a good deal but like stated before check and make sure you getting a good quad check for cracks and anything that might be loose or broken . if the piston is fried make sure you check the crank before you trade dont just go off of what the dude told you your getting rid of a quad in great shape prolly with a title and your receiving a bike that is busted and more and likley no title your lookin at about max 200 to fix it for the top end so i would price parts for it to be rebuilt and go from there along with the aftermarket parts good luck i love my r and would trade it for the world

oachs83
09-07-2009, 03:12 PM
The deal was done today. Look at "The deal is done thread" for pictures. I was shown a receipt of a complete engine top and bottom rebuild of the bike. He had tried a different CDI that was suppose to run hotter and it burned a hole in piston. Also came with a title.

1promodfan
09-07-2009, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
he can ride it you dip! haha theres a hole in the piston! hehe

i would say 1500 sounds fair but pics and a mod list would help... the 250r is a cheap quad as long as your not playing with the prox cyls and duncans PC2000 and stuff if its all oem stuff its easy going... you can do that top end easy... they are a breeze to work on... if you get it and your stuck... come here neil and and rustyatv know a ton... theres alot of other people that know as well but those 2 helped me the most...

good luck!

Boy, I feel like a retard!!:D I forgot that he said the piston was fried!! You're right woods....I am a dip!!!:p

woodsracer144
09-07-2009, 07:01 PM
ah its ok... we all got our moments... 95% of the time im a total idiot around people... i mess with minds alot.. like my one buddy thinks theres such a thing as a wood welder! haha!