PDA

View Full Version : 97 lt 80 wont start

cor89
09-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Hi - I have a 1997 LT80 that I am having trouble starting. It cranks over and over until fuil starts coming out the front of the carb. It finally then starts and runs fine for the day (starting back up after shut off, etc.). If you park it for a few days you have to hold the gas, choke, and throttle until it starts spitting and sputtering and then runs fine.

What can my problem be??? Any suggestions.

TCracin440ex
09-06-2009, 05:12 PM
sounds like the carb needs to be cleaned

tri5ron
09-06-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm assuming it has been sitting a while, and you have put in a new sparkplug, cleaned the airfilter, removed and flushed the fuel tank, fuel line, and fresh gas ?

LT80
09-07-2009, 06:52 AM
TCracin is correct.
Fuel is leaking by the float needle.
Simple fix is a on/off valve from the lawn mower section at autozone. About 3 bucks or so. :)

cor89
09-07-2009, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron
I'm assuming it has been sitting a while, and you have put in a new sparkplug, cleaned the airfilter, removed and flushed the fuel tank, fuel line, and fresh gas ?

no we ride it daily but the first start of the day is just a
major problem it takes foever to start i left it in the garage over night and noticed fuel dripping out of the carb i think it might be time for a rebuild kit

LT80
09-07-2009, 11:47 AM
In 16 years, I've never bought a carb rebuild kit.
I stand by Tcracin and my previous reply but I will go into more detail.
Cleaning the carb may help and is done to eliminate that aspect of the problem. It's a must do.
Expierience tells me that The petcocks can leak fuel by (for a few reasons). This causes a hydraulic overload on the float needle and pushes fuel by. This is why fuel is comming out the carb.

This is why the on/off valve was recommended. It's the cheapest fix.
You can get another zuki petcock but they are expensive. A Yamaha Banshee petcock works and is like 20 bucks.

cor89
09-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Originally posted by cor89
no we ride it daily but the first start of the day is just a
major problem it takes foever to start i left it in the garage over night and noticed fuel dripping out of the carb i think it might be time for a rebuild kit

hey i want to thank everybody for the responses i will be cleaning carb and installing a shut off this week i will let you know the out come thanks alot.:)

SRH
09-07-2009, 11:18 PM
i was having the same issue, thanks for asking, i figured that was the issue but i wasnt positive