PDA

View Full Version : increase rear axle ground clearance

nevadatrx400ex
09-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Is there any way to increase the rear swingarm ground clearance a little bit? bigger wheels? suspension? just talking an inch or so.

tri5ron
09-06-2009, 12:54 PM
the only thing that will increase swinger/axle clearance is taller rear tires.
2" taller tires = 1" added clearance.

But, when you do that, you should also consider that you are also changing the final gear ratio, and thus losing low end torque.

so,... if you install 2" taller tires and want to keep your low end torque,...
you will also need to drop 1 tooth on the front sprocket, or add 3 teeth on the rear sprocket.

adding suspension to the rear, will do nothing for swinger/axle ground clearance.

if you are concerned with hitting rocks, you should consider buying a heavy duty swingarm skidplate, to replace the stock plate. they are pretty much a must, for protecting yhe brake rotor, chain, and sprocket, for rocky trail, desert, XC type riding.
Track riders do not need or use them due to there are no rocks on MX tracks.

hope this helps,
Ron

nevadatrx400ex
09-06-2009, 01:37 PM
thanks for the info.
I'm a new rider with atv's, late 40's and like the 400ex. seems to be the best quad for hittin the dirt roads and taking the occassional trails. dont plan to be riding in the rocks much, hope to be riding good clear trails or forest service roads 80% of the time but did notice sometimes I need to take a somewhat narly trail to get someplace and navigating around 2" to 6" rocks trying not to hit bottom but it does happen time to time. I have ordered a aluminum skid plate for the rear end and have also ordered a 5 gallon fuel tank so I can take off for the day with some friends boon docking for 100 miles.

tri5ron
09-06-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by nevadatrx400ex
thanks for the info.
I'm a new rider with atv's, late 40's and like the 400ex. seems to be the best quad for hittin the dirt roads and taking the occassional trails. dont plan to be riding in the rocks much, hope to be riding good clear trails or forest service roads 80% of the time but did notice sometimes I need to take a somewhat narly trail to get someplace and navigating around 2" to 6" rocks trying not to hit bottom but it does happen time to time. I have ordered a aluminum skid plate for the rear end and have also ordered a 5 gallon fuel tank so I can take off for the day with some friends boon docking for 100 miles.

no problem, and glad to help. and welcome to the forum.

Late 40's trail rider myself, and you are correct on the 400EX being a great trail quad, as well as probably one of the MOST modifiable quads out there.

LOTS of great info to be had here, reguarding upgrades and modifications to better the performance and handeling characterstics of the 400EX.

Word of caution though, when recieving opinions and suggestions here, it is always advisable to consider the source of that opinion, and verify it with trusted sources.
Sometimes there are suggestions, and comments here, that may be more opinion than fact.

You will most certainly have lots of questions, and there are alot of knowledgable, well informed, and experienced members here, that will be happy to help.
(there is also some, that are more opinion, than knowledge).

Remember that the search function is your friend, and in all probability, most questions you have can be found using search, or reading through the "stickys", and "how to" sections.

Get ready to do LOTS of reading, and learning about your machine, and feel free to ask questions that you can't find answers to.

Again, Welcome to the forum, and tell us a little about yourself, your ride, what you like to do with it, where your mostly ride, and what you would like to change/upgrade/improve on your quad.
post some pics to show what you've got, and get suggestions of whats the best "Bang for your buck" in improvements.

Welcome to the Disease, it is Terminal, you'll soon come to understand what that means....

ride hard, ride fast, and keep the rubber side down.
Ron

TRXRacer1
09-06-2009, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron

so,... if you install 2" taller tires and want to keep your low end torque,...
you will also need to drop 1 tooth on the front sprocket, or add 3 teeth on the rear sprocket. That'll still leave him geared taller then stock. He'd have to drop a tooth in the front and add 1 in the rear to get back to what he started with. If it were mine and I was installing 22's I'd drop 2 teeth in the front. You only loose like 2 mph off the top and the added torque will help spin the extra rubber.

tri5ron
09-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
That'll still leave him geared taller then stock. He'd have to drop a tooth in the front and add 1 in the rear to get back to what he started with. If it were mine and I was installing 22's I'd drop 2 teeth in the front. You only loose like 2 mph off the top and the added torque will help spin the extra rubber. x2, easier, cheaper, and dosent add any diameter to the rear sprocket.

It would be best to get some seat time with the skid plate installed, before jumping right into taller tires.
i'm sure you'll find the 20" tall tires to be quite sufficent, and 22" GNCC's or 6plys start getting pretty heavy, AND expensive.

Get some time in, on the 20" tires, and bang away on a good .250 thick swinger skid. that's what they are for.

Besides, that will free up some cash for consideration of the purchase of some decent front shocks, (the one major thing honda failed on with the 400ex), and also a good steering stabilizer.

Those two upgrades will put a smile on your face gauranteed.

Mustangous
12-08-2009, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by tri5ron

Besides, that will free up some cash for consideration of the purchase of some decent front shocks, (the one major thing honda failed on with the 400ex), and also a good steering stabilizer.

Those two upgrades will put a smile on your face gauranteed.
what benefits does a steering stabilizer have? I thought the main purpose of those were for street bikes and tank slap....

MidnightBlade
12-08-2009, 03:05 PM
i still have the stock tires and skid plates and i ride some pretty rough s*it and never hit bottom once so dont worry about it and dont aim for the sprocket but aim for the tire and axle hope this helped and welcome to the forum and the swesome world of 400ex's

racer 557
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
i had 22 razrs 6 ply best tire you can get IMO i dropped a tooth also in the front it was perfect for trails i had this setup at the GNCC snow shoe event never once got stuck i was just betain in power on the roads and open straights

Muddinguy
12-09-2009, 01:48 AM
if your carrier is rotated so the "cam" part is up, you could clock it down.. get maybe a 1/2" but hell its free and wont mess with your gearing... But if its like mine the cam part points straight back..