PDA

View Full Version : Slipper sprocket or fixed sprocket, which one is better?

tyler70t
09-05-2009, 06:48 PM
We have gone through 2 slipper sprockets already this season, the whole set-ups not just the discs. I am seriously thinking of switching to a fixed sprocket. Tyler does a lot of jumping but DOES NOT land on the gas. Looking for advice on this subject........BTW does anyone have a fixed sprocket that would fit an 07 Apex 90, 20 tooth, Need one fast!!!! Jeff

Blazer25
09-06-2009, 08:02 AM
I would recommend a fixed sprocket. Do you have a clutch saver? If so, then you definately don't need the slipper sprocket.

A friend of mine has had nothing but trouble with his since he got it. He ended up buying the clutch saver and getting rid of his slipper sprocket.

I ordered my daughters quad without the slipper sprocket and with the clutch saver.

If your child isn't on the gas when it lands, then you should be ok if you don't have the clutch saver. I was told by my builder though that the Apex's are known to blow gears. So, you have to weigh your options.

tyler70t
09-06-2009, 03:18 PM
What is a clutch saver and where do you get one? I heard of a slipper clutch and am putting some money aside to get one made but want to know what to do in the meantime.....Jeff

Blazer25
09-08-2009, 06:25 AM
Clutch saver/Slipper Clutch...same thing. They are costly, but worth it!

Logan #34's Dad
09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
I have used the 19 tooth DRR slipper sprocket for about a year and a half and have not broke any gears after breaking them multiple times before. Believe me, Logan lands on the gas a little too much too.
I only torque it to 104ish ft pounds. I believe if you kids is bigger then you my want more ft pounds. I'd rather it slip a little then break gears and not finish.

edwardsp&b
09-08-2009, 01:56 PM
ditto that rocky!!!
ben had a rear brake caliper freeze while practicing this weekend, it smoked the slipper sprocket pads, but no tranny problems. today i ordered a 45.00 set of replacement pads, alot cheaper than 400-500.00 worth of trans gears.
bryan