PDA

View Full Version : Tranny Help, PLEASE!

wolfpack91
09-04-2009, 08:54 PM
Ok, so we got the bike finally going today and have a tranny issue. From what I was told when I bought it, it has a "slipper" clutch in it. Well it has neutral and when you shift it in to gear there is no clutch, it jumps in gear and if not on the gas it dies. Just like a manual clutch and putting it in gear with out pulling the clutch in. Is there a way of adjusting it to have a "clutch"? There is no way to ride this thing the way it is.

If not, then what do I need to make this a manual clutch? I mean parts list and where to get them and what is going to be involved to make it work? I am very frustrated with this whole thing. This has been a pain in the rear since we've got it. I deffinatly got the raw end of this deal.

I would appreciate any and all help on this, because my motor guy is not familure with the way this thing is set up.

miniquaddad90
09-05-2009, 07:56 AM
A "slipper" clutch in a Honda 90.....? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like you may have a direct drive set-up. With direct drives, the half step between gears is your neutral once its in gear. Most fire them up in neutral, have someone lift the rear end & put it in 1st. Then hold the shifter 1/2 way between 1st & 2nd gear to be in neutral. Rev it to the moon and left the shifter fall down into 1st gear & hold on...

wolfpack91
09-05-2009, 08:29 AM
That is what we have, but there is no in between gears. It won't stay with the shifter held up or down, it pulls continuously regardless of where you hold the shifter. That's why I need to know how to adjust it if possible. We've tightened the clutch to the point that the shifter wouldn't come back up and it still wasn't enough.
Any ideas?

wolfpack91
09-05-2009, 04:36 PM
Have you every just wanted to use one of these bikes as a boat ancor? This has just been a pain. Not only is the tranny giving me problems but I've got an electrical issue also I think. I thought I had a bad kill switch so I put another new one on and it still is crackling and popping like it's out of time or something. I cleaned the plug the best I could because my dealer doesn't carry what I need (ordered 3 from CHP). That didn't help either. It's just very frustrating that we have a new bike and can't get it to run.:mad:

TEXWS6
09-05-2009, 10:58 PM
whoever told you it had a slipper clutch is full of BS...get ready to have fun...

wolfpack91
09-05-2009, 11:12 PM
You know what I've got, throw me a bone and tell me. You had this thing built, just exactly what's in it and what is the trick to shifting this thing? Dion Fincher is going to help me out but if I knew exactly what I had it would make it easier.

ROBBSRACING
09-06-2009, 06:26 PM
It sounds to me like you have a direct drive set up and a clutch that is either not set up correctly or maybe just not adjusted properly. I can walk you through adjusting the clutch to see if that will fix it for you. Give me a call tomorrow I will be around all day. 603-231-1692

wolfpack91
09-06-2009, 06:46 PM
A direct drive is what we have. I took the bike back to my mechanic tonight to figure out the problem with the wireing. Also after talking to him, it doesn't have to extended shaft installed to get oil to the crank. So I've got to order that Tuesday also. So after he gets it running right then we'll start trying to get the clutch adjusted correctly. I appeciate it! I have really gotten some good help on here and I thank you all for the info. I know the big bike stuff, this mini thing is just all new.

TEXWS6
09-07-2009, 08:44 AM
Sean,

Just giving you a hard time, believe me, I feel your pain. Call me if you can't get it figured out.

wolfpack91
09-07-2009, 11:18 AM
I know you were. I think we are getting pointed in the right direction now. Once the electrical part gets fixed we'll get the clutch dialed in. I had to order the extended oil shaft for the crank too, along with a new clutch cover. Its a wonder this thing lasted this long, it wasn't getting oil to the rod at all.

lilman
09-10-2009, 09:50 AM
mine was popping and sounded terrible also i had to fix the two wire connections at the coil they felt good but after i soldered the wires all was swell i feel your pain with the clutch as well i had two motors changed the clutch plates in both out of maintenance one worked fine the other not so well i had the same problem you had.i never figured it out .i have since moved on to cr 85s they seem way less finicky and are very quick as well.i think they are cheaper in the long run

wolfpack91
09-10-2009, 03:11 PM
It will be a couple of years but we will eventually have an cr motor in it too.