PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo...I beat a raptor!

jchevy
01-11-2003, 05:13 PM
Well, i installed my 10.5:1 ross piston and stage one hot cam. Im using cometic xr400 gaskets along with my WB E-series slip on and a uni filter. I just finished breaking it in and i raced my dads stock 02 raptor today. We raced about 6 times and i beat him everytime. Believe it or not my bike has more low end grunt than that 660. I out accelerated him in every gear, until we both hit fith when his higher top speed started to show. He would slowly gain on me but there wasnt enough room for him to catch me. I ended up beating him by about 3-4 bike lengths. The race was probably 125-150 yards. Ive even got pretty bald tires. Im very pleased with my new setup.

I think if he pipes it hes gunna beat me though.

Pappy
01-11-2003, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by jchevy

I think if he pipes it hes gunna beat me though.

i was tearing a piped raptor up on my 400...stock piped 400:p

Sparks425Ex
01-11-2003, 05:31 PM
Raptors ain't nuttin. Get a Carb.FCR39 and a Raptor won;t touch you.

Pappy: Stock????? Are ya sure it wasn't a 425?hehe

Steven
01-11-2003, 10:01 PM
Good Stuff!!!

I give my friends Piped DS650 fits with the below... it really pisses him off!

Oh yea, and thats "CRAPTOR" not Raptor.

p.s. Craptors are something. They are Yamaha's four stroke flagship sport ATV.

Congradulations.

Pappy
01-11-2003, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Nacs425ex
Pappy: Stock????? Are ya sure it wasn't a 425?hehe

no it was stock.....ask crazy canadian and mysticfalcon how pissed the raptor and shee...and ds 650 was at me:devil i argued for 10 mins with the raptor owner....lmao

01TRX300EX
01-12-2003, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by Nacs425ex
Raptors ain't nuttin. Get a Carb.FCR39 and a Raptor won;t touch you.

Yeah he wont touch you until he starts modifying himself, then you better watch out for him.

Steven, its Raptor, not Craptor, theres not to much Crap about them.

max400EX
01-12-2003, 02:52 PM
Originally posted by 01TRX300EX

Have u ridden one? Felt how bad it handled? Seen how unreliable it is? I have first hand, my friend owns one, I have ridden it long enough to get "used to it". Not just this internet "i heard that raptors are cool!". My friend hardley rides due to bent tie rods, bad a arms, blown off carb boots, now his alternatior is broken. For an extra valve, crab and 260 extra cc's, its sad to see how close the 400 and Craptor really are in a stock for stock race. Lets face it, Yahama should just stick to street bikes... that will never have the longevity as CBR's, but are still pretty nice.

Steven
01-12-2003, 03:28 PM
No, it really is a Craptor. Ever talk with a Raptor owner. In stock configuration, they break more often then is acceptable. New Raptors tend to break transmisions, bend apendages, loose alternators, and blow the boots off thier carbs. This is not acceptable for a stock ATV.

Sorry, all things are relative and compared to a 400EX they can be quite unreliable and unpredictable in the handling dept.

Don't get me wrong, the Raptor concept is cool but I would rather have a built 400EX.

I have two 00' 400EX's that heve been ridden to death and have never broken! Kudos to Honda.

You can have the last word, I'm out.

Steve

01TRX300EX
01-12-2003, 03:39 PM
Yes actually I have ridden a Raptor and felt it didnt handle half as bad as a lot of people make it out to be. And actually I have seen a guy at the local MX track on a mostly stock Raptor kicking modified 400EX's all over the track, in fact he was only beat by a C-dale in one moto. And as far as the stuff breaking, I havent seen to many broken Raptor's around here nor have I heard of to many.

Steve-o 400EX
01-12-2003, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 01TRX300EX
Yeah he wont touch you until he starts modifying himself, then you better watch out for him.

Dude, its definately craptor, those things will fall apart from underneath you. I know of two people who sold their craptors to buy 400EX's and it was because they are junk.:rolleyes:
Even the dealers will tell you that those trash will fall apart. Thats why they con you into spending another 1000 bucks for an extended warranty, which you will use quite often.

RAPTORAZ
01-12-2003, 07:39 PM
I see we have another Raptor bashing thread here. Here's my two cents:

First off reliability: My Raptor is a 2001 with the original tranny. I have mostly dune ridden it. Which mostly consists of wide open throttle hill shooting. I have owned it since new (January of 2001), and I have had zero problems with it.

Next, handling: I have a Lonestar +4 Axle on mine and it doesn't handle all that differently than my EX. The rear shock is better than my EX, but the fronts on the EX are better. The EX however is less tiring to ride. The Raptor's front end is extremely light and she'll wheely very easily, sometimes unexpectantly.

Third is power: With 260cc's more engine, you can't expect a 400EX to run with a Raptor Stock for stock. Even modded, the EX is at big disadvantage. My 416 gets killed in a drag against my Raptor. All it takes for a Raptor to make 45RWHP is a slip-on pipe, open airbox, and the right jetting. It takes a mega built EX to make those numbers. I have raced dozens of EX's and have only been beaten by the SPARKS bikes at last years Four Stroke Wars. However my buddies 440EX is a dead heat. But he has the works. Ported, carbed, piped, and cammed. He has also been undefeated by any other EX. Including a CRF powered EX and a 465EX. The only way an EX will run with a "TUNED" Raptor is if the rider is inept or the Raptor is losing mega traction. My 416EX will run side by side with my Raptor in the desert on hard pack. But put them in the sand, on paddles, and the added traction lets the Raptor's power advantage show.

Feel free to flame me if you wish. But my opinions are based upon my own findings and experiences.

NTPRacing#19
01-12-2003, 07:52 PM
i dont think a stock raptor with just a slip on will put out 45hp at the rear wheels :huh dont sugar coat something that already is a lemon

Chef
01-12-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Steven
No, it really is a Craptor. Ever talk with a Raptor owner. In stock configuration, they break more often then is acceptable. New Raptors tend to break transmisions, bend apendages, loose alternators, and blow the boots off thier carbs. This is not acceptable for a stock ATV.

Steve

Actually, the Older Raptors (01 models) break the trannys. I think its all in rider abuse. Our 01 Raptor has been just fine....and I rode the piss out of it 8 hours a day for almost a month.

jchevy
01-12-2003, 08:19 PM
This was not meant to be a raptor bashing thread. I posted this becuase the raptor is a fast bike and i was proud i beat one with my 400ex. My dad has had zero problems with his 2002 Raptor in the year that he has had it.

Reliable or not, the raptor is a fast bike, and i personally enjoy riding one when i get the chance.

RAPTORAZ
01-13-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by NTPRacing#19
i dont think a stock raptor with just a slip on will put out 45hp at the rear wheels :huh dont sugar coat something that already is a lemon

Okay lemon head, let's look at this logically. We all know that a slip-on equipped 400EX makes somewhere in the neighborhood of 28-30RWHP. Which comes out to roughly .07-075 horsepower per cubic centimeter. Now if you apply those figures to an engine that has 660 cubic centimeters, you'll come up with roughly 46-49RWHP. Albeit the two engines would have to have similar airflow numbers for this equation to work. But I'm sure the Raptor's extra intake valve and extra carb ensure that the Raptor's airflow is indeed equal to, or better than the EX. Have a nice day.:D

Justin330ex
01-13-2003, 06:21 AM
a pipe on a raptor will do 10 hp because of its big cc engine size the engine has a lot of room to work with , i like raptors my friend has one and they are nice , i have a 300ex but i like it , i got a 400ex also , People who bash others machines have no life

Steve-o 400EX
01-13-2003, 09:01 AM
How much horsepower does a stock raptor come with?

I know that they are extremely fast machines, i was thinking about buying one but i am a honda guy and the dealer told me that they are nowhere near as reliable as a honda. He wanted me to spend another thousand dollars on an extended warranty incase something goes on it and i said no way.

But price and performacewise, i think the the ex is better. JMO.

Also this is a HONDA website, you should expect to be flamed when ur trying to boast about a yamaha!

RAPTORAZ
01-13-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by Steve-o 400EX
How much horsepower does a stock raptor come with?

Also this is a HONDA website, you should expect to be flamed when ur trying to boast about a yamaha!

A stock Raptor makes 36-38RWHP. And as for boasting about Yamaha, I simply stated some facts. I'm not loyal to either brand. I do tend to lean more towards the Honda however. If Honda ever makes a TRX650EX I'll be first in line to buy it.