PDA

View Full Version : runnin lean explain for a friend

2k2-300exnj
01-11-2003, 04:45 PM
capecod400ex doesnt understand how running lean will seize your motor can u explain it for me im not good at explainin stuff like that...
he has a slip on Q muffler, and a K&N filter, i was thinking at least one main jet maybe 2,
thanx a lot

01-11-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by 2k2-300exnj
capecod400ex doesnt understand how running lean will seize your motor can u explain it for me im not good at explainin stuff like that...
he has a slip on Q muffler, and a K&N filter, i was thinking at least one main jet maybe 2,
thanx a lot

NO THANKS...haha

TRX_Thumper
01-11-2003, 07:27 PM
a motor running lean will run hotter....it can get so hot in the combustion chamber that the piston melts....and also if the bikes jetted right you will always have more power than stock jetting...

lilpoppy
01-11-2003, 08:25 PM
Actually i believe that in most cases running lean can make you run faster but it is very bad for your engine. Correct me if im wrong.

01-11-2003, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by lilpoppy
Actually i believe that in most cases running lean can make you run faster but it is very bad for your engine. Correct me if im wrong.

your wrong

haha sike i dunno. i doubt runnin lean will make u faster tho

Nausty
01-11-2003, 09:22 PM
yes I am pretty sure the leaner, the more power but you gotta be careful when running lean because of much hotter it will run and have other engine problems because of it. I've heard a lot about people burning holes through their pistons from running to lean.

01-11-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
yes I am pretty sure the leaner, the more power but you gotta be careful when running lean because of much hotter it will run and have other engine problems because of it. I've heard a lot about people burning holes through their pistons from running to lean.

hmm. guess ya learn somethign new everyday. i woulda never thought that :huh

0240099r1
01-11-2003, 09:48 PM
the old saying in racing is THE LEANER THE MEANER ..............

0240099r1
01-11-2003, 09:58 PM
as soon as i posted i thought of a good example for those who don't understand or don't believe have you ever heard a two stroke or a gas motor r/c car right before it runs out of fuel it seems like engine gains lots of hp and revs to the moon well it runs very lean right before it shuts down btu it is not safe to run on like this but maybe some of you will get the picture .you want to run any gas engine as close as you can get it to (stoichiometry)
which is the chemicaly correct point that combustion takes place, air fuel ratio of 14.7.1 hopes this helps

jaspurx
01-11-2003, 09:58 PM
way not cool! never allow an air cooled engine to run lean!! unless you want to buy another ride! maybe you should take it to your local shop , or at least buy the clymer manual for your machine , then correct the problem! soon!!!

2k2-300exnj
01-12-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by jaspurx
way not cool! never allow an air cooled engine to run lean!! unless you want to buy another ride! maybe you should take it to your local shop , or at least buy the clymer manual for your machine , then correct the problem! soon!!!
not mine explain that to capecod400ex he didnt understand why it would hurt the motor and i couldnt explain it

Newbie400ex
01-12-2003, 11:26 AM
The fuel in the intake charge actually helps cool the piston.

capecod400ex
01-12-2003, 03:32 PM
well thanks for the help guys, but the probelm thats still remains is that is it gunna get all messed up if i ride it more before i get the K&N jet kit am geting or should i just park it for the time being?

lilpoppy
01-12-2003, 03:40 PM
I would take it easy for a while but I dont know if you need to park it. I rode myne for months with a K&N filter with no lid without rejetting and nothing happened. Of coarse I havn't looked inside my motor. Anywase if it gets screwed up you can just get a 416 kit and really get some speed.:)

capecod400ex
01-12-2003, 04:04 PM
well then guys thanks alo tfor the the help, all oder the jet kit as soon as a get the $ after some bike and truck parts are paid for. :)

capecod400ex
01-12-2003, 06:11 PM
Hey what if instead of a jet kit i get a Edelbrock carb because it says its "addjustable" would this save any problems geting it jeted in ?becuase it say its adjustable with a screw so thaire for if i didnet get it right i dont have to take the thing apart and replace the jets.If am wroung could some one corret me or give me more info

lilpoppy
01-12-2003, 07:02 PM
well as far as i know it isnt that adjustable i believe you still have to jet it but i might be wrong however you are talking about a 400$ carb as opposed to a 50$ jet kit. That isnt saving money. It will help a lot with power though and i would recomend getting one if you have the cash. I would recomend the FCR 39 mm over the edelbrock though but it isnt self adjusting and i guess that is what you are after.

capecod400ex
01-12-2003, 07:29 PM
well my parts unlimeted cataloge has a 38mm with 360 main jet 40 pilot theres also a 44mm with 540 main jet and a 35 pilot jet would any of theres work ?

Lil90man!!
01-12-2003, 08:04 PM
you said u don't have that much money to get the jet kit but your looking at a 400 dollar carb??:confused: actually it would be easier to go to you local honda dealer pick up the next 3-4 sizes bigger on the main n change it yourself jets are what 5 bux a pop at most?? and actually you said something bout tearing it apart to change jets all you gotta do is take out a thing on the bottom of the carb stick a socket in there pull out the jet stick a new one in and your good to go!:macho

Nausty
01-12-2003, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by capecod400ex
well thanks for the help guys, but the probelm thats still remains is that is it gunna get all messed up if i ride it more before i get the K&N jet kit am geting or should i just park it for the time being?

jet kit=waste of money

just buy a 42 pilot jet and 150 main and drop the needle a few positions and you should be fine. If you really wanna play it safe, go with a 155 but I think the 150 would be fine.

capecod400ex
01-12-2003, 08:27 PM
all rigth thanks guys all run up to the honda shop and grab thows jets if thats all it takes how the **** dose k&n get $44 dollors for some jets a nettle :huh well any way thanks again.

lilpoppy
01-12-2003, 09:59 PM
It costs so much because they give you every size you will ever possibly need. It is more convenient this way but if you know what you want just get a few sizes and see which one is the best.