PDA

View Full Version : fan question

73watermutt
09-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I just picked up an '04 450r as a backup and extra quad for family and friends to ride. The last owner wired the fan to run whe nthe motor is running. I would think this would cause the fan to wear out faster but is it an issue to run all the time?

Ruf Racing
09-04-2009, 07:43 AM
Seriously, for trail and rec. riding, I never understood why anyone
would wire the fan to run continuously. Maybe for drag or dunes.

73watermutt
09-04-2009, 08:18 AM
Would it be hard to rewire it back to stock?

MR.BIG
09-04-2009, 09:48 AM
The temp sensor might of went bad so instead of replacing it he just grounded out the switch:ermm:

Scro
09-04-2009, 10:21 AM
The method most people use to have the fan running all the time is grounding the wire that connects to the thermostat housing on the front of the motor. If you wanted to wire it back up, you would need to find this wire and connect it back up. It should be a yellow and blue wire.

If this wire is still connected, then he hard-wired the the fan in somewhere. Which will make it a pain in the *** trying to find the two wires that he cut coming off the fan. They should be a blue wire and a green wire. Good luck.

Balaz_73*00
09-04-2009, 06:47 PM
I have mine wired to run constantly, no issues what so ever. I'm not worried about it wearing out and even if it does you can pick one up relatively cheap. The more cooling he better at least IMO.

If I were you I'd just keep it as is and not worry about it.

eastside 400
09-04-2009, 07:41 PM
i have both of my bikes wired to run constant, i race MX and they get hot all the time, just another precautionary measure and they dont really wear out any faster, fans fail alot because they dont get used and all the crude builds up inside and corrodes everything, but its like a light bulb-the more you use it the quicker it will burnout.

RIDEREDson
09-04-2009, 08:29 PM
I hear that having the fan run all the time actually slows air flow down when riding where plenty of air is getting to the radiator.

Ruf Racing
09-05-2009, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by eastside 400
i have both of my bikes wired to run constant, i race MX and they get hot all the time, just another precautionary measure and they dont really wear out any faster, fans fail alot because they dont get used and all the crude builds up inside and corrodes everything, but its like a light bulb-the more you use it the quicker it will burnout.

Agreed, maybe for your type of riding. But for recreational riding, not necessary. And fans don't fail because of non-use. The sensor
usually fails.

Scro
09-05-2009, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by RIDEREDson
I hear that having the fan run all the time actually slows air flow down when riding where plenty of air is getting to the radiator.

You heard wrong:ermm:

RIDEREDson
09-05-2009, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by Scro
You heard wrong:ermm:

Figures, so running it constantly won't hurt anything? I find that hard to believe. Wouldn't you have to let it warm up a little longer since the fan will be on?

JJs450r
09-08-2009, 06:13 PM
On my old yfz I had a toggle switch to turn the fan off and on. btw rideredson your pm box is full

Sjorge450R
09-08-2009, 09:26 PM
Why does everyone always think the fan running is a bad thing. I picked up my 05 in october of 06 and ever since then my fan has been wired to run full time. My motor probalaly has at least 100 hours on it and the fan has maybe 98. Not one problem. I sleep better at night knowing that my fan is always running.

Ichoptop
09-09-2009, 08:36 AM
The fan doesnt control the temp. The thermostat controls the temp and the fan only allows the motor to cool to the predetermined temp of the thermostat. There is no issue to running a fan all the time. The motor heats at the same rate until the thermostat opens.