PDA

View Full Version : slipper sprocket

qcitytile
09-03-2009, 01:31 PM
Any body broke gears with the slipper sprocket installed. Just wondering because we broke a set practicing.

FISH ON!
09-03-2009, 03:34 PM
No but we're learning just the opposite lesson.......how to keep it from coming loose. I was breaking discs with my Craftsman torque wrench so I bought a new electronic Snap-On torque wrench..............now we're coming loose. (@ 110 ft-lbs) I'm wondering if once you spin the discs , they are no longer any good ?????

09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
we broke several then we changed to the slipper clutch and haven't had a problem bought the slipper for 350 or you can stick with the sprocket and have a tranny go out and have that much in the sprocket and tranny so it paid for itself already

bulldogfallon
09-03-2009, 04:56 PM
We have run a DRR slipper and not broken a single tooth in over a year...on our fullnational race quads.

Not a fan of the slipper clutch

Brand of slipper is a. Significant factor

qcitytile
09-03-2009, 05:27 PM
I think the problem started with the small gear bearing because its in pieces and also ruined a set of cases. Got alot of work tonight and tomorrow to make the races this weekend. Hoping it was not the sprocket. Thanks for all the replies and Gary how do you tell what brand we have.

bulldogfallon
09-06-2009, 09:04 PM
The metal plate is different between the DRR and Apex.

Logan #34's Dad
09-08-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by bulldogfallon
We have run a DRR slipper and not broken a single tooth in over a year...on our fullnational race quads.

Not a fan of the slipper clutch

Brand of slipper is a. Significant factor

DITTO!!!!

dazed&confused
09-09-2009, 08:49 AM
we ran 6 nationals this year and only ran a slipper sprocket at Lorettas (peace of mind ) . it was a drr slipper and i felt it worked real good . but i usally don't run one because my kid doesn't land on the gas. we ran alot of races in the last 3 years and we have only broke 1 set of gears and it wasn't the riders fault.

i also don't care for the slipper clutch's

#404's Dad
09-10-2009, 08:28 AM
Been using Slipper Clutches all season long on our bikes at the Nationals and the Locals with no issues so far other than at one track when I over geared the bike and caused it to drive through the Slipper a bit on the Holeshot but he still won the race.

If we cannot hurt the Slipper Clutches racing TT where the bikes are Hooked up with Traction meaning when our bikes land on the gas there is very little if any tire slip then the MX guys should have no issues at all with running a Slipper Clutch imho.

Just curious why some do not like the Slipper Clutches?

Logan #34's Dad
09-12-2009, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
Just curious why some do not like the Slipper Clutches?

My biggest issues with the slipper clutch is: There is no torque setting - when the two custom pieces come togther there is no adjustment. As the pads get worn down the slipping will increase more and more. I guess you could replace pads every so offten.
Another big problem is: COST!
Too much money for two custom pieces plus stock LT80 stuff. (We've had this discussion before).
I'll stick to my DRR 19 tooth slipper sprocket. We ran all but one National this year and probably 4 last year along with many local races on this same sprocket and did not break any gears.
$89.00 (I think) compared to $650.00.
With the gear changes you TT'ers do in the front the DRR slipper won't work.
You ready do make the jump to mx yet Corey? LOL

#404's Dad
09-12-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Logan #34's Dad
My biggest issues with the slipper clutch is: There is no torque setting - when the two custom pieces come togther there is no adjustment. As the pads get worn down the slipping will increase more and more. I guess you could replace pads every so offten.
Another big problem is: COST!
Too much money for two custom pieces plus stock LT80 stuff. (We've had this discussion before).
I'll stick to my DRR 19 tooth slipper sprocket. We ran all but one National this year and probably 4 last year along with many local races on this same sprocket and did not break any gears.
$89.00 (I think) compared to $650.00.
With the gear changes you TT'ers do in the front the DRR slipper won't work.
You ready do make the jump to mx yet Corey? LOL

Yeah I hear ya the cost is high for sure.

We are actually thinking of making the move to MX for 2010, nothing for sure yet but the TT gets no attention at all and is getting smaller and smaller every event, we'll see.