PDA

View Full Version : carb getting dirty too quick

hazlettEX
09-03-2009, 01:19 PM
Hey guys I've been browsing around this site for awhile and decided to finally post something. About a month and a half back i went to clean my carb float bowl and the screws were stripped (imagine that:rolleyes: ) I replaced them with stainless steel screws from a hardware store. These screws are the right thread and everything but they are about 6 threads shorter than the other screws that were there. Ever since then my carb has been getting dirty after every 2-3 rides. I have cleaned my air filter, air boot, snorkel, air box, prefilters everytime this problem has been acting up and I can't find where all this dirt is coming in from. I was wondering if it may be sucking in air from the float bowl area because maybe the screws don't thread in enough? Is this possible? But when i screw it in they are tight and the cover for it isn't loose or anything so idk. I'm gonna try to get screws that are longer and see if that helps but I'd like to know if you guys have any ideas. And from what I can see there are no holes or rips in any of the intake system. Please give me some help on what you guys think this is!

mcgrath
09-03-2009, 02:48 PM
If the bowl was not tight it would be leaking fuel, and running lean. If the boot was leaking it would be running lean. I personally would check the fuel tank first. Possibly you got some dirt in there when you were fueling up and a little dirt around the spout got knocked in. Id empty the fuel tank give a good rinse and see what happens. You could always put an in line fuel filter on too if you want , but I wouldnt worry about it. If you are getting dirt in the bowl it is coming in with the fuel, air isnt drawn into the bowl. Also sorry I should have asked. when you say your carb is dirty, where is it dirty? just in the bowl? I just assumed that was where you ment.

hazlettEX
09-03-2009, 03:03 PM
I'm gonna clean it again tomorrow and I'll give you the results. It's mostly dirty in the bowl but theres usually dirt everywhere. I'll post some results tomorrow, thanks for the response!