PDA

View Full Version : Electrical Problems

Gibson
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I rode my quad earlier and stopped for a few minutes. when i got back on to start it, the neutral light doesn't come on, and it won't start. I can roll start it and it fires up and runs. My battery isn't dead cause i just charged it so what could it be?

gt400ex
09-03-2009, 12:27 PM
There is a white 5 or 6 wire connector right next to the battery, try checking that. I had mine go bad and was causing a lot of weird problems.

mcgrath
09-03-2009, 02:52 PM
check your battery connections. also check your ground connection. also you need to load test the battery, just because it took a charge doesnt neccessarily mean its good. If nothing else works try boosting the battery to see if it will turn over. sounds like a connection problem though

djcluejs
09-03-2009, 07:16 PM
also check the fuses they go alot, there should also be a spare in there.

Josh

coreo5
09-03-2009, 08:16 PM
sounds like the neutral switch to me... when you click the gear shifter into nuetral that switch grounds and then the light come on...seems to me that switch is not grounding for some reason. check the resistance of that wire going to the switch.
if you get a infinite reading or a 1 that means its not grounded but if you get a low ohm reading then that switch is grounded. also the bike has to be in neutral!!!
the switch is located real close the the shifter.

i probably just confused you but i tried to help

Gibson
09-03-2009, 08:25 PM
The battery is brand new it was bought maybe a month ago. i'm gonna check everything out tomorrow after work. hopefully it isn't anything major.

Gibson
09-03-2009, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by coreo5
sounds like the neutral switch to me... when you click the gear shifter into nuetral that switch grounds and then the light come on...seems to me that switch is not grounding for some reason. check the resistance of that wire going to the switch.
if you get a infinite reading or a 1 that means its not grounded but if you get a low ohm reading then that switch is grounded. also the bike has to be in neutral!!!
the switch is located real close the the shifter.

i probably just confused you but i tried to help

i know exactly what you're talkin about. But what really stumps me is when i get it roll started, i can press the start button and nothing happens. The starter doesn't turn over or anything.

jelrod05
09-03-2009, 10:54 PM
there is a clutch diode back by the battery it looks like a relay mine just did the same thing easy fix.

Gibson
09-04-2009, 02:29 PM
ok, the fuse was blown. so i put a new fuse in it and it blew the fuse as soon as i turned the key on. So i put a 25 amp fuse in it, and it did the same thing. So i know i have a short, but where's the best place to start looking?

rodeo#11
09-04-2009, 03:17 PM
having the exact same problems man! my quads in the shop as we speak and if the mechanic tells me anything that he finds ill post it as soon as i can.

leprogle85
09-04-2009, 03:39 PM
I've had this happen on several occasions.

1- The ground cable on the battery broke clean off where it bolts to the frame, it still looked intact but it broke off where the wire was stripped back for the end.

2-The wire from the positive to the fusible link broke off where it was connected to the solenoid. come to find out it is crimped in on the battery end of the solenoid wire, from the factory, mine must've burnt off before and was repaired by hooking it to the solenoid post. mine burnt off several times before i replaced it with a new one

3-The fusible link actually failed and the fuse was good but no matter what i did I had the same problems as you. I replaced the fusible link/solenoid cable, and it remedied my problems.

Bigger fuses are good if you're looking for more problems. the fuse is there only to protect the wire. I believe 15amp is the stock size. The wire will burn before the fuse blows when you put bigger fuses in.
This is coming from a liscenced Electrician.
good Luck!

rideahonda
09-04-2009, 04:57 PM
are your lights on?

I had this same problem, ended up being a short in the factory headlight housing. Wire that fed the lamp was pinched in the metal housing. (I always ride with my lights on)

Heard this was a common problem.

Gibson
09-04-2009, 06:37 PM
my lights are unhooked, they're just in the plastics till i buy a hood. i looked through my whole wiring harness and have came out empty handed.

Could it be the rectifier? i've checked every cable/wire/connector for breaks or kinks. The reason i'm asking if its the rectifier is b/c everytime i plug the red wire w/ the silver tracer(the wire that sends power to the rectifier) in, it'll blow the fuse.

coreo5
09-04-2009, 10:35 PM
start tracing wires. and putting bigger fuses in then what is recommened is just asking for trouble.

just check over the wires...then check again and again.

Gibson
09-05-2009, 03:59 PM
well, i fixed it. it was something to do with my battery ground or my solenoid. i took them off at the same time and cleaned all the contacts, so it wass one of the two. Thanks for the help guys