PDA

View Full Version : Bad motors galore????

mebcop
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
Well, my 2010 motor is going to be here in a couple days!!! Had 15 hours on my quad and it needed a new motor/tranny! Can-Am has been absolutely GREAT to me though.... even out of warranty.....

I'm a little worried though.... I know of 3 ds450s that were sold by my dealer and 2 have needed new motors/tranny's (earlier quote was 8 of 9, but I was just told that the person who told me that doesn't know for sure so I am taking that out)

I'm worried because I bought two from them. One of mine is there right now getting a new motor/tranny, and the other is sitting in my garage.... GOD I hope I don't need to put a motor in that one too!!! Can-Am gave me the 2010 motor for my bad one, but it's still gonna cost be $1000 for all the labor and fluids... So, one year later, I still owe $6,200, have put $1000 into motor/tranny, and I am offered $4500 trade in... OUCH!!!!!!

Has anyone else had bad luck with the motor/tranny???

Blizzard24
09-03-2009, 03:47 PM
What happened to your motor? Mine had hairline cracks in the case so the cses were replaced but the motor itself has been running strong (knock on wood)

mhill157
09-03-2009, 04:35 PM
Lost the whole bottom end. I have to say BRP takes their time, but they are paying for the parts.

RosquistRacer39
09-03-2009, 07:09 PM
$1000 for labor and fluids, did you get vasoline with that?:devil:

mebcop
09-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by RosquistRacer39
$1000 for labor and fluids, did you get vasoline with that?:devil:

I know, right.... I don't have the final bill yet but they estimated 800-900.... More to the story but I can't say just yet.... I'll keep you all informed though

yah, I was told the cases were cracked on mine too.... I don't even ride hard!!! I'm not good enough to...

Ride1Rob
09-07-2009, 07:26 AM
If I were you I'd tell them I'll pull the motor and put the new one in. That $1000 labor fee is BS and it's not your fault the motor dumped on you.

JR3
09-07-2009, 02:13 PM
what changes did they make to the 2010 motors because all i see and hear everywhere anyone with a can am is just horror stories

TNT
09-07-2009, 04:04 PM
I wouldn't call Natalie on the podium 3rd at LL a "Horror Story".!!:rolleyes: I know RAGE and Motoworks is claiming to get ALOT of power out of 450's.....BUT I'd like to know of any changes too????

mebcop
09-07-2009, 04:07 PM
I'm pretty sure natalie can have a new motor for every race if he needs it.... I'm not dogging on can-am, I'm just telling what is happening locally.

I guess they made the tolerances a lot tighter in the new motor... at least thats what is being fed to me

Oh yah, the reason my bill is so high is because my dealership is telling me can-am isn't covering shipping so I have to pay it???????

TNT
09-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by mebcop
I'm pretty sure natalie can have a new motor for every race if he needs it.... I'm not dogging on can-am, I'm just telling what is happening locally.

I guess they made the tolerances a lot tighter in the new motor... at least thats what is being fed to me

Oh yah, the reason my bill is so high is because my dealership is telling me can-am isn't covering shipping so I have to pay it???????

Really, did they tell you what tolerances? The fliiping valves are huge and poorly designed(seats) and it's valve train heavy thats the prob not tolerances....:confused: :confused:

TNT
09-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Behonest the 450 motor scares me thats why I went to a 495 and I don't want to buy a 2010 have to dump a bunch of $ in it to make it fast and competitive and unreliable....I'm thinking about it. Not sure! Such a great handling quad my son says KTM all others don't come close but we need RELIABLE 450 POWER!!

mebcop
09-07-2009, 04:14 PM
I HATE dealerships.... at least my local ones... I hate getting lied to....

"You can piss on my head, just dont tell me its raining"

TNT
09-07-2009, 04:21 PM
I HATE dealerships.... at least my local ones... I hate getting lied to....

"You can piss on my head, just dont tell me its raining"

I wish we could just bypass them as racers, just go straight to Warnert racing dept, take some budget from dealers for racers, and buy race ready motor's, frame, quads, etc...to fit our needs/budgets. Heck they are practically there now offering race parts through dealers to the public, just cut the middle man make it more affordable and easier to deal w/ too less overhead. Keep good stock on parts too. :D

Dude now were takin! :eek2: :macho

TNT
09-07-2009, 04:31 PM
You put TI valves in it to lighten up the valve train last I heard anyway you need a new valves/tear dwn every race or 3, compared to honda the seat design is way better for TI...THATS THE PROB!

JR3
09-07-2009, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by TNT
I wouldn't call Natalie on the podium 3rd at LL a "Horror Story".!!:rolleyes: I know RAGE and Motoworks is claiming to get ALOT of power out of 450's.....BUT I'd like to know of any changes too????

natalie also gets paid to ride them and as someone stated can have a new motor every moto. its the weekend warriors who have the horror stories because they are the ones putting the time on them

xrxmxcx
09-07-2009, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by TNT
Behonest the 450 motor scares me thats why I went to a 495 and I don't want to buy a 2010 have to dump a bunch of $ in it to make it fast and competitive and unreliable....I'm thinking about it. Not sure! Such a great handling quad my son says KTM all others don't come close but we need RELIABLE 450 POWER!!

How can you feel good about going to a 495 VS. the 450? I hate to give you your own medicine but in all of your "advice" as you are now the god of the DS you say that things are designed to work as good if not near perfect from the factory?

Why change it?

:confused:

TNT
09-07-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
How can you feel good about going to a 495 VS. the 450? I hate to give you your own medicine but in all of your "advice" as you are now the god of the DS you say that things are designed to work as good if not near perfect from the factory?

Why change it?

" God of the DS " I thought you were, I'm just some dumb dumb aircraft engineer out here trying to help you all out......XRX shuuuuush! You ought to know me well enough by now to know who I am giving advice to and it's not you or anyone but BRP!!! :D

TNT
09-07-2009, 08:01 PM

Why change it?

BTW: I don’t know where you misunderstood but I don’t recall stating in any of my post factories were perfect, on the contrary in many of my post if you read them closely I think I have stated the truth that many including mine that sell products worth several hundred million dollars(not $7-9,000) has issues. I think my vision of the quad factory is over rated by my own submissions, if you scale it down I would expect a lot of problems none of which are easy to resolve and you would have had to work in one to appreciate what I am talking about.

XRX I wish you just put one day in on the line I work on w/billions in tooling as a design/manufacturing engineer just to see 1 microsec of what I'm talking about. :D

We tried a paperless(no drawing) product, thats right no engineering drawing's and boy do we have issues!! Just like the first AL frame, or EFI, or what not.....But hey thats why they pay me the big bucks to straighten the mess out!! :blah:

TNT
09-07-2009, 08:35 PM
Our product is 2 yrs late, failed a major structural test, competitor is coming out in 2010. Our assy line is very slow, major problems that we have no time to straighten out due to time constraints and we are working 3 shifts 84 hrs ea, so we bandade it not fixing anything in the long term......See what happens here, one mistake up front can take years to resolve....same w/quads.

Well if nothing else hopefully I gave you all a little taste of the factory world.

Happy Labor day despite our problems us American's still put out the best aircraft in the world! :cool:....quads well, hmmmm.....lol!

blaster99
09-08-2009, 06:33 AM
I would love to hear these horror stories.... :rolleyes:

Flynbryan19
09-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by blaster99

You must not read this site much or go to any of the GNC or GNCC's....

mebcop
09-08-2009, 09:54 AM

I'm not hating on Can-Am, but think of it this way....

I had to pay retail for my quad due to trading in towards it (how it works around here), so

About $8,000 for the quad, divided by 60 (monthly payments): $133 + interest = about $150

I've paid for 15 months now, so $2250 to date

I had to pay the labor for a clutch upgrade (that I never even got to use because it made the noise AFTER they put it back together!!!) = $200

I did 4 oil changes while I had it = $120

I had to pay $180 for the dealer to tear it apart to see that it was trashed inside

I am at about $900 to get it all put back together w/new motor and fluids and shipping on motor.....

So, I have a grand total of about $3800 into my quad that I haven't been able to ride AT ALL this summer because it's been at the shop waiting for the new motor.

I've ridden the quad about 10 times ( I had 15 hours and 15 minutes on it before the catastrophe), so if you calculate everything:

IT HAS COST ME $380 FOR EVERY HOUR AND A HALF RIDE!!!!!!

I do appreciate that can-am gave me the new motor and tranny, I just don't make enough money to keep this thing running! AND, I have another one with an engine light on right now (my wifes).... my dealer said "we'll tackle that one next"....

blaster99
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
I read this site almost every day.. i don't see to many.

You shouldn't have had to pay for the labor on your clutch update. That is obviously your dealers problem.

You shouldn't complain about oil changes, that comes with every quad.

What you are saying doesn't seem that bad to me, I mean, yes, the figure you came up with is obnoxious, I would be mad too, but I feel you paid for stuff that you shouldn't have had to if you had a better dealer. Whenever I had any problems, and can-am is covering it the cost, everything is paid, not just parts. labor, shipping, everything.

mebcop
09-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Well Blaster.... how bout this

THE NEW FRICKEN MOTOR IS BAD... I HAVE TO WAIT ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

No oil pressure....

NO QUAD THIS SUMMER AT ALL

mebcop
09-08-2009, 12:10 PM
I read this site almost every day.. i don't see to many.

You shouldn't have had to pay for the labor on your clutch update. That is obviously your dealers problem.

You shouldn't complain about oil changes, that comes with every quad.

What you are saying doesn't seem that bad to me, I mean, yes, the figure you came up with is obnoxious, I would be mad too, but I feel you paid for stuff that you shouldn't have had to if you had a better dealer. Whenever I had any problems, and can-am is covering it the cost, everything is paid, not just parts. labor, shipping, everything.

BTW: Clutch update was a SERVICE BULLETIN... dealership doesn't have to pay labor... if they choose to eat the labor, that's their generosity....

Doesn't seem that bad to you???? are you fricken kidding.... That was a very dumb statement

blaster99
09-08-2009, 12:32 PM
I guess you guys aren't getting it, but whatever, I guess not everyone likes these quads, so whatever, i give up.

mebcop
09-08-2009, 12:40 PM
I guess you guys aren't getting it, but whatever, I guess not everyone likes these quads, so whatever, i give up.

We're not getting it???? You're right, I don't get it.... What exactly did I do wrong here??? How is this not 100% a Can Am issue??? Two brand new quads... neither running... new motor doesn't even have oil pressure... you're right... I don't get it

mebcop
09-08-2009, 12:41 PM
We're not getting it???? You're right, I don't get it.... What exactly did I do wrong here??? How is this not 100% a Can Am issue??? Two brand new quads... neither running... new motor doesn't even have oil pressure... you're right... I don't get it

I do like the quad... I just cant fricken RIDE IT...

Flynbryan19
09-08-2009, 01:53 PM

Because some people just have complete blind admiration for their machines. If it isn't happening to them directly it isn't "really" happening. :rolleyes: Or if it is, its "those" people who don't take care of stuff like they should. Its just hard for people to admit sometimes that they dumped all the money they have into a turd of a machine.

Its almost comical to me to see all the DNF's Can-Am has in the GNCC and especially GNC circuit and owners feel theirs not a thing wrong w/ the quad. As someone else said, the average joes are the real reflection of the quality of a machine because they put all the hours on them. Can-Am can put in a new motor every moto if they choose to and they STILL can't keep one under a pro for more than one race..... Pretty sad results if you ask me.

I think theyre GREAT looking machines setup in race trim and they have ALOT of really good design ideas, but they certainly can't seem to keep them together for more than one race if that at times...

xrxmxcx
09-08-2009, 02:21 PM
Well Blaster.... how bout this

THE NEW FRICKEN MOTOR IS BAD... I HAVE TO WAIT ALL OVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!

No oil pressure....

NO QUAD THIS SUMMER AT ALL

Motor probably doesn't have a oil filter in it.

Me and Blaster99 have the same group of dealerships out hear and they will do anything to help us out, and anyone riding a BRP product. 99.99% of your problem, and everyone else that has problems on this website seem to be dealer related. If not it is self inflicted and is likely to happen, when say you put a ridiculous motor combination together, or something along those lines.

Is this kid out back putting a motor in your DS450 qualified?

Last but not least, you have to be the biggest push over to buy a DS450 at 8K. Did you even make an offer to the dealership under MSRP?

:huh

xrxmxcx
09-08-2009, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Flynbryan19
Because some people just have complete blind admiration for their machines. If it isn't happening to them directly it isn't "really" happening. :rolleyes: Or if it is, its "those" people who don't take care of stuff like they should. Its just hard for people to admit sometimes that they dumped all the money they have into a turd of a machine.

Its almost comical to me to see all the DNF's Can-Am has in the GNCC and especially GNC circuit and owners feel theirs not a thing wrong w/ the quad. As someone else said, the average joes are the real reflection of the quality of a machine because they put all the hours on them. Can-Am can put in a new motor every moto if they choose to and they STILL can't keep one under a pro for more than one race..... Pretty sad results if you ask me.

I think theyre GREAT looking machines setup in race trim and they have ALOT of really good design ideas, but they certainly can't seem to keep them together for more than one race if that at times...

Do you own a DS, or have you ridden one?

Another thing, can you rack up how many DNF's occurred this past season on the GNC series VS other brands?

I think the common sight on the side of the track this year was Kawasaki, no??

Flynbryan19
09-08-2009, 02:32 PM
Do you own a DS, or have you ridden one?

Another thing, can you rack up how many DNF's occurred this past season on the GNC series VS other brands?

I think the common sight on the side of the track this year was Kawasaki, no??

lol, your response before the one directed to me is classic and exactly what I was speaking of....:p

Do I honestly need to ride one to see all the Can-Ams sitting on the side of the track this year? How many times has Natalie had a great race going only to have it end a couple laps later from a DNF. How many races did Jenks and Sturdivant have ruined? Though its been better this year last season was terrible. Also, simply take a look at how many threads on this section of the forum (ds450/650) are about problems both small and major.

So....have I ridden one? No. Would I ever own one with the track record they have given themselves both on here and in the real world? You'd have to GIVE me one. Again, I think this is a GREAT looking quad with alot of potential based on all the out of the box design in this quad, but they obviously have problems that need addressing.

xrxmxcx
09-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Exactly my point, no numbers no proof. Every motor has its mishaps and as far as the DS goes this year was not a failure at all.

On the other hand the lack of some dealer support in areas is the problem, but that is to the management of BRP to handle, not the racing scene.

And before you rant on about more clutch problems, it should be known that if you do not upgrade the clutch/basket as you add more power and mods you should expect a failure. If your smart enough to realize it and make some slight changes then there are little to no problems.

The NE racing scene is one of the best around and BRP makes it presence here and they sow so much support for PRO and AMATEUR alike that it makes me not want to ride anything but CAN-AM. Between the after-sales support, the dealers, the rep's, and all my connections with the company, THIS IS THE BEST SUPPORTED MACHINE IN ATV RACING HISTORY.

Call Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and ask for insight in racing problems, replacement frame parts, Factory Race parts, and hold your ear out to hear the big LAUGH.

2010 is bringing some big changes, and I hope that when you see what happens and you think so negatively about the DS, you sit there and wonder if there really was something wrong?

BRP launched the DS as a full race quad, to the MX market, but to do so it goes into production and Joe Blow can buy a "stock" one, but you think that in the inaugural year that 3 rigs showing up at the ATV nationals is normal? It was put out to test and to RACE.

That was a little bit choppy, but im sure blaster99 knows what im talking about.

Between me and mark we have done some serious "testing" along with the boys of NEATV, and yes we have gotten answers from the top, and from aftersales as to what is bieng changed for the upcoming 2010, 2011, etc.. models

just cause you cant see changes doesn't mean there not there...

;)

TNT
09-08-2009, 03:35 PM
Exactly my point, no numbers no proof. Every motor has its mishaps and as far as the DS goes this year was not a failure at all.

On the other hand the lack of some dealer support in areas is the problem, but that is to the management of BRP to handle, not the racing scene.

And before you rant on about more clutch problems, it should be known that if you do not upgrade the clutch/basket as you add more power and mods you should expect a failure. If your smart enough to realize it and make some slight changes then there are little to no problems.

The NE racing scene is one of the best around and BRP makes it presence here and they sow so much support for PRO and AMATEUR alike that it makes me not want to ride anything but CAN-AM. Between the after-sales support, the dealers, the rep's, and all my connections with the company, THIS IS THE BEST SUPPORTED MACHINE IN ATV RACING HISTORY.

Call Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, and ask for insight in racing problems, replacement frame parts, Factory Race parts, and hold your ear out to hear the big LAUGH.

2010 is bringing some big changes, and I hope that when you see what happens and you think so negatively about the DS, you sit there and wonder if there really was something wrong?

BRP launched the DS as a full race quad, to the MX market, but to do so it goes into production and Joe Blow can buy a "stock" one, but you think that in the inaugural year that 3 rigs showing up at the ATV nationals is normal? It was put out to test and to RACE.

That was a little bit choppy, but im sure blaster99 knows what im talking about.

Between me and mark we have done some serious "testing" along with the boys of NEATV, and yes we have gotten answers from the top, and from aftersales as to what is bieng changed for the upcoming 2010, 2011, etc.. models

;)

Boy XRX that was the best post I have seen you write. I trained you well....lol! Now I can retire! ;)

mebcop
09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
OH MY GOD.... some people just can't admit when something isn't good.....

8 out of 9 needed motors, and it's our dealerships fault? WOW... that there is some nuthugging if i've ever seen it

Like stated before.... JUST BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO YOU AND UR QUAD, DOESN'T MAKE IT MY OR MY DEALERS FAULT

And slamming me for paying retail.... I traded in my bikes for quads..... within 200 miles of here, if you trade in towards something, you trade towards msrp.... I could have driven 300 miles or so, but it's kinda tough to get a good quote on my bike without them ever seeing it.... and Im not gonna drive all that way to be offered too little for it and turn around and drive back... don't dump on my situation when you know nothing about it.... thanx

mebcop
09-08-2009, 03:55 PM
AGAIN.... I love the quad, just a little upset... I haven't been able to ride it ONCE this summer....

If you can't be objective about my situation, you are NOT very open minded and I don't need your nuthugging here...

TNT
09-08-2009, 04:08 PM
All Right this is getting us nowhere....Lets get back to the problem which I lost tract of through all the whatever!

last I thought I read is you have no oil pressure, the quad is in the dealer I think....What about the oil pump is it working?

xrxmxcx
09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
OH MY GOD.... some people just can't admit when something isn't good.....

8 out of 9 needed motors, and it's our dealerships fault? WOW... that there is some nuthugging if i've ever seen it

Like stated before.... JUST BECAUSE IT DIDN'T HAPPEN TO YOU AND UR QUAD, DOESN'T MAKE IT MY OR MY DEALERS FAULT

And slamming me for paying retail.... I traded in my bikes for quads..... within 200 miles of here, if you trade in towards something, you trade towards msrp.... I could have driven 300 miles or so, but it's kinda tough to get a good quote on my bike without them ever seeing it.... and Im not gonna drive all that way to be offered too little for it and turn around and drive back... don't dump on my situation when you know nothing about it.... thanx

I want to hear what "happened" to the 8 out of 9, or atleast post a breakdown of what the deal is.

mebcop
09-08-2009, 06:33 PM
I would like to know too, but my dealer is so defensive of Can-Am, he'd never tell me the truth...

He does have a hard time justifying 8 bad out of 9...

Whenever I bring it up he changes the subject, i don't blame him

yfzracer14
09-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Is your dealer wayne roberts?

yfzracer14
09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
mebcop, im the guy who switched from the fully built yfz #14 to the fully built can-am , also one of the ones who lost the tranny and cases. Mine was there when yours was ( hope its done, that was like 2 months agao), He told me that you dropped a 10 mm bolt into the oil fill and ruined the engine. I asked him if he was on crack. Why would anyone drop a bolt in their engine and keep running it? Anyway, He said CAN AM covered the 2010 cases and tranny, I bought the gasket set frolm BCS, they couldnt get it, and I bought some shaft bearings from Warnert. I went to pick my bike up and he hit me w/ a $1100.00 bill. I couldnt beleive it. I had missed 4 races from problems w/ the bike and wasnt going to miss another, so I coughed up the jing. You would think they would back me up w/ promoting the bike, I race all local stuff and D-3 series and do very well top 5 most of the time, and Im almost the only one running a can am. Now I discurage anyone who asks from buying from this dealer. As far as the bike goes, Ive won alot of races w/ it, its been broke alot, seems to work good now, but it is almost all aftermarket. Just thought I would throw mt 2 cents in.

mebcop
09-08-2009, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by yfzracer14
mebcop, im the guy who switched from the fully built yfz #14 to the fully built can-am , also one of the ones who lost the tranny and cases. Mine was there when yours was ( hope its done, that was like 2 months agao), He told me that you dropped a 10 mm bolt into the oil fill and ruined the engine. I asked him if he was on crack. Why would anyone drop a bolt in their engine and keep running it? Anyway, He said CAN AM covered the 2010 cases and tranny, I bought the gasket set frolm BCS, they couldnt get it, and I bought some shaft bearings from Warnert. I went to pick my bike up and he hit me w/ a $1100.00 bill. I couldnt beleive it. I had missed 4 races from problems w/ the bike and wasnt going to miss another, so I coughed up the jing. You would think they would back me up w/ promoting the bike, I race all local stuff and D-3 series and do very well top 5 most of the time, and Im almost the only one running a can am. Now I discurage anyone who asks from buying from this dealer. As far as the bike goes, Ive won alot of races w/ it, its been broke alot, seems to work good now, but it is almost all aftermarket. Just thought I would throw mt 2 cents in.

Hey Coot!!!

Will you meet me at Roberts so we can all discuss this bull$hit???

yfzracer14
09-08-2009, 07:01 PM
Pretty sure Wayne doesnt want to see me, I would probaly try to rip his face off, Is your bike still there?

mebcop
09-08-2009, 07:04 PM
Supposed to be done tomorrow morning.... He told me the new motor was bad because it had no oil pressure, come to find out it didn't come with the black sprocket that spins the oil pump... He said it should be wrapped up in the AM.... I have asked him AT LEAST 10 times for the estimate for repairs and he has PROMISED me over and over again hed have one by the end of the day.... well, I NEVER got a quote!!!

We need to call him out on this stuff face to face

mebcop
09-08-2009, 07:06 PM
Coot... call me I pmed u my #

yfzracer14
09-08-2009, 07:07 PM
for sure, not a problem, you would think he wouldnt dick me around. I spen alot of $ on my quads. I mean I am putting the can am in front, if not first, most of the time. Wouldnt you think this would be great for sales?

ZRider400
09-08-2009, 07:26 PM
wow, i cant believe wayne is treating you like that...

Adam has been telling me about it, but still cant believe they arent covering some of it. can am should be paying them the $$ to do the labor, so hes basically getting double paid on every job hes doing...

Ive dealt with wayne before when the z400 first came out i bought a new one from him...., people were bending axles left/right and he didnt even believe me when i told him about it. It was until i brought in a dirtwheels magazine article that stated "03 z400's have a weak axle and are prone to breaking or bending" that he believed me. He finally looked into it and had suzuki cover my bent axle.

Anyway...other than that i never had problems, but the last quad i bought from him was a LTR...and its not like there were many problems other than my 3rd gear falling apart after 5 rides LOL Gotta love it.

All i can say about wayne is, he gives good deals, but you really cant deal with them....its almost impossible. Bottom line is.. HORRIBLE dealership.

yfzracer14
09-08-2009, 07:42 PM
Hey man,
you getting back on a quad?

blaster99
09-08-2009, 08:38 PM
see our point now? It is mainly a dealer problem. I have never heard of a dealer having 8 of 9 quads blow until now. Is the guy taking them out of the create a moron? oil in the coolant tank, and coolant in the oil tank? :D lol!

xrxmxcx
09-08-2009, 09:04 PM
As negative as it sounds the dealer network needs to be stronger, and the training and after sales support/service on the dealers end of it sounds to be the main problem with dealerships that are selling the bikes but have no background with them at all.

Sometimes I wish your staff could come out to a shop around our parts and see how things go....

....or atleast get the tech's in your part to finish up there Cert. and learn which hole to put the oil, spare bolts, etc..

yfzracer14
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
mebcop
did u get ur bike back today?

TNT
09-09-2009, 04:26 PM

;)

Whats changed in 2010 all mighty God of the DS, you put it out there now spill the beans. :p

mebcop
09-09-2009, 05:03 PM
I have been YELLING back and forth with Wayne all day... I got the quad back and paid $770....

OK, GET THIS:

He told me that I BLEW MY MOTOR UP because when I put the clutch basket w/updated disks back in my ds, I forgot to put the black sprocket that runs the oil pump back on!!!!!!!!!!!

I DIDN'T DO THE CLUTCH UPDATE, THEY DID!!!!!

So I said, YOU DIDN'T PUT THE SPROCKET ON MY CLUTCH UPDATED MOTOR AND THEN RAN IT, AND DIDN'T BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAID IT WASN'T MAKING THAT NOISE WHEN I BROUGHT IT IN!!!!!

Then, he said that running it without that gear for less than a minute wouldn't have hurt the motor....

I asked "why was it that when you thought I did it, I BLEW MY MOTOR, but now that you even ADMIT that you did it, it couldn't have blown the motor???"

He dodged the question all 15 times I asked it....

WAYNE ROBERTS IS A HORRIBLE DEALER.... DON'T EVER BUY FROM HIM

Well, I paid the fricken 770 and brought it home, and while it's running I cant shift it into neutral.... It's like I'm holding the clutch half in and trying to shift.... I'm guessing his "awesome mechanic", same one that didn't put the fricken oil pump sprocket back on and ran the motor, didn't adjust the clutch properly inside the motor....

Now, I have to drive over an hour and a half to the next closest Can-Am dealer for every issue I have from now on.....

I GIVE UP

RosquistRacer39
09-09-2009, 05:25 PM
I would contact can-am directly, they cannot like having themselves represented that way. If I was can-am I would pull out from that dealership, its giving them a bad name. This is horrible mebcop I truly am glad i am not in your situation.

yfzracer14
09-09-2009, 05:43 PM
You mean Cory B. He sux. When he did my clutch update it was slipping like crazy. When I had them fix it. I made 2 laps and lost the clutch completly. I took it apart myself and he stripped out the thrust arm. Called Wayne, had them order 2 of them over night shipping. After 5 days I got them, had to pay for over night anyway and he charged me for both of them!! He is a fat pice of sh#". mebcop, let me know, I can adjust your clutch for you.

yfzracer14
09-09-2009, 05:46 PM
Did you ask him about the supposed 10 mm bolt tha he is telling everyone you dropped in the oil fill causing the whole problem ?

mebcop
09-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Yeah, he said he NEVER told anyone that I dropped a bolt in it.... I said Id be back in with over 5 people he's told that to... We were SCREAMING at each other right in the show room 3 times today!!!

Yes, I need to get my clutch adjusted.... I have contacted another dealership and they said theyd help me out they're just a couple hours away....

Can-Am wont return my calls about this... I was told by a semi-inside source that can-am is scared of losing dealerships right now because of "inside problems", and that's probably why they won't contact me back.... I don't know if this is true, just telling what I was told.... AGAIN, not saying it's true

Coot, give me a call again if u can.....

YES the mechanic I was talking about was Corey Bogett.... he CONVENIENTLY forgot everything that proved wayne wrong......

LET ME JUST SAY THIS..... I AM NOT CLAIMING ROBERTS RUINED THE MOTOR, I BELIEVE THERE WERE ISSUES BEFORE THEY DID THIS, I AM SIMPLY SAYING DON'T BLAME ME FOR SOMETHING THAT YOU DID!!!!!!

yfzracer14
09-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Ill call you in a few.

grannysleeper
09-09-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey guys, just my 2 cents on dealership experience. I have close to 10 years experience at an automotive dealership as a mechanic, and this is what I have learned:

1. Never ever EVER pay a bill that the dealer gives you if they haven't given you a written estimate or had you sign or confirm an autorization BEFORE performing the work. If they try pulling this BS on you, refuse to pay the bill and threaten to turn them into the BAR. If this doesn't scare them straight, then look up your local Bureau of Automotive Repair (or similar organization) and make a claim for fraud.

2. What the sevice writer or salesperson tells the customer and what is actually going on in with the mechanic and the vehicle in the shop are often entirely different stories. I actually witnessed my former General manager lie through his teeth to the customer's face more than once, and it was usually because he had no clue of what was going on with the vehicle. Just because they tell you somthing with a straight face doesn't make it true. Always keep an open and investigative mind, and if a concern arises, question the mechanic doing the work without the sales/service rep within earshot. Mechanics hate it when the customers do this, but you're more likely to get the unbiased truth.

3. Mechanics make mistakes just like everybody else, but a good dealer will be honest about the situation and take full responsibility of the resulting repairs.

4. If you find a good dealer, stick with them. Do not hesitate to drive an extra hour to support one you like. Fuel is cheaper than unnecessary repair bills. If the dealer sucks as bad as the one mentioned above, they deserve to be put out of business, so spread the word. The internet and forums like this can be incredibly detrimental to a dealers profit margin.

Sorry for the rant, but I get angry when I see dealers getting away with this kind of crap.

mebcop
09-09-2009, 10:25 PM
Granny, that was a great post.... I agree that a quote should have been obtained before it was done, but believe me, I tried MANY MANY times, and I guess I was just trying to keep it as informal as possible, to try to build a bond of trust.... well, I learned my lesson. You are right!

I get frustrated because I've always heard how bad his customer service is, and I was suckered in by a good trade-in value. Wayne does have the cheapest prices around, by far, I just learned the hard way why.

I don't have a big complaint about the price charged, because can-am told me 5 hours for the job, plus the time it took to take it apart to see what was wrong with the original motor. He charged me 10 total, so I'd guess 6.5 for the reinstallation, and 3.5 for taking it apart. Thats a little more than what can-am told me, but not a stupid amount more. Other than that I paid $70 shipping to send the bad motor back to can-am (which other dealers CAN'T BELIEVE he charged me), and fluids... Total was about $770.

My issue was that he keeps trying to tell me I blew the motor by doing all this fabricated stupid ****... and in the process he admitted that he never put the oil pump gear on the back of the clutch basket so it was MY fault and I should be thanking him over and over... when THEY didn't put the gear back on and THEY ran it with no oil, then called me in and ran it with no oil AGAIN to show me the noise....

I just love how when he said I didn't put the gear on, that's why the motor blew, but now that he even admits that THEY didn't put the gear on, that's NOT why the motor went.... hmmmmmm

Sorry I keep ranting, just still pretty pissed every time I think about it

mebcop
09-09-2009, 10:30 PM
Oh yah..... one more little display of maturity

WAYNE ROBERTS told me that I was "lucky" I was holding my daughter during our heated discussion!!!!

I understand we were both :mad: , but really, threaten me :confused:

Quadevil
09-09-2009, 10:45 PM
Oh yah..... one more little display of maturity

WAYNE ROBERTS told me that I was "lucky" I was holding my daughter during our heated discussion!!!!

I understand we were both :mad: , but really, threaten me :confused:

Wow that guy must be put out of business. Spread the word...

mebcop
09-09-2009, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Quadevil
Wow that guy must be put out of business. Spread the word...

I agree....

blaster99
09-10-2009, 07:45 AM
Next time you need something that can be shipped, call Marks Motorsports. 860-741-5115. They are in Enfield CT. I'm not sure what area of New York you are from, but getting stuff shipped wont take all that long. They are the best dealer I have ever dealt with.

RosquistRacer39
09-10-2009, 04:58 PM
I was just wondering the actual name of the dealership you have been dealing with so that everyone knows to steer clear?

yfzracer14
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Roberts Sports Center
Malone, NY
(518) 483-5400

ZRider400
09-10-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by yfzracer14
Hey man,
you getting back on a quad?

working on it!!

if you know anyone that would trade a descent 450 quad for a mint CRF450 let me know....

I might end up having both , we will see

ZRider400
09-10-2009, 05:07 PM
I agree....

You should just have adam adjust your clutch..im sure he can figure it out .. he'll probably be home fri nite.

but ya, all the dealers around here are a joke, im happy to fix all of their mistakes... I have 10 customers a day coming in *****ing about northend/ lake city choppers and dames.. No one wants to deal with them anymore.

mebcop
09-10-2009, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by ZRider400
You should just have adam adjust your clutch..im sure he can figure it out .. he'll probably be home fri nite.

but ya, all the dealers around here are a joke, im happy to fix all of their mistakes... I have 10 customers a day coming in *****ing about northend/ lake city choppers and dames.. No one wants to deal with them anymore.

I looked it up in the manual and it's a VERY simple job. I did it today, and that's not the problem.

There is an adjustment screw in the center of the clutch cover behind a plug. All you do is hold the screw still with a screw driver and release the lock nut that surrounds it. Then u just screw the screw in until it contacts the throw out bearing, and then back it out 3/8-1/2 turn and then hold it there and tighten the lock nut. VERY simple job. I can't even get the clutch to release enough if I leave the screw bottomed out on the throw out bearing and tighten the nut, which SHOULD make the clutch not grab enough if anything.....

ZRider400
09-11-2009, 12:37 PM
any updates........ is it ok now??

mebcop
09-11-2009, 04:12 PM
Originally posted by ZRider400
any updates........ is it ok now??

The next step is to take the clutch cover off and inspect to make sure it was assembled correctly and make sure the clutch plates were soaked in oil... Thinking maybe they weren't and they're all dry, causing it to not slip enough...

We're doing that tonight... I'll keep u guys posted when I get back

mebcop
09-12-2009, 01:12 PM
This was my update in my clutch thread.....

Well.... Roberts strikes again!!!

Took the clutch cover off and pulled the plates out.

First of all, I was told that Can-Am was giving me a while clutch pack (fiber and steel) as the new clutch pack has rounded edges.... well, no rounded edges on any of em....

Second of all, one of the steel plates was bent... I'm guessing they put my original clutch all back in, and then used one of the steel plates out of Coot's DS or something as the extra plate that is supposed to be in the kit....

With the bent steel plate, it wasn't letting the clutch fully disengage. We straightened the plate to where it looks good, and put it back together just to see if it helped at all. I'm not riding it with this plate in it, I am ordering a new one, I just wanted to see if it helped my problem.... well, it worked great. The clutch feels great and is releasing i'd say 95% better. It is still notchier than my old clutch felt, but i've ridden a LOT of other quads that were notchier than this!!! Hell, it shifts JUST LIKE my other DS....