PDA

View Full Version : Kodiak 400 pipe question

adamson350r
09-02-2009, 11:01 PM
My buddy owns a kodiak 400 and I have a few questions for him. Does uncorking the pipe lean out the motor way too much? and do they make any aftermarket pipes for it?

westmassk
01-01-2010, 12:25 PM
Hi Adam.I just bought a 2002 Kodiak 400 & am also trying to find an aftermarket exhaust.I read somewhere on this forum about someone mentioning a " HMF" exhaust.I've yetto do a search , but if I find anything interesting,I'll yet you know & would appreciate the same.Unfortunately,I'm a "newbie" to ATV's,so it seems to be learn as you go.I also am trying to find an aftermarket air filter.Any ideas ? Thanks

Timmy b t
01-03-2010, 08:45 AM
not sure about the pipe, but an air filter can lean it out too much. You need to do the jet if u want to increase the air.

westmassk
01-03-2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks Timmy.I would have never guessed an A/F would require re-jetting.I wonder if the carb on this Yam Kodiak has a moveable needle on the throttle slode like all the Mikunis in years past.That used to moake mixture changes so easy.Do you know ? thanks again,keith

Timmy b t
01-03-2010, 09:21 AM
sorry, i don't know much about carbs. I had a friend do my jet.
My 2000 smokes my bro's 2005. so the jet does work

foxman_87
01-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I don't believe the needles are adjustable on my 2001. I ordered a jet kit off the net for $60-$70.

I talked to a local recreational product mechanic about my wheeler too. He said that he typically rejets most Big Bears/Kodiaks that come in because they are set really lean from the factory. With that in mind, I can only assume that a new pipe would require new jets to get maximum performance.

Kory

westmassk
01-08-2010, 12:49 PM
I keep hearing that over & over that everything is overlean for emissions,etc. I guess It'd be too easy just to reset the slide.No biggie once I find an aftermarket supplier of re-jetting kits for my Kodiak. Thanks again,keith