PDA

View Full Version : MX rear end

DEVINF450R
09-02-2009, 06:59 PM
I know this question has been asked alot but I hear the walsh savior is hands down the best, but I want some opinions... I am anA-class MX rider switching to a honda from a suzuki.

rollie
09-02-2009, 07:32 PM
I love my JB superlink/PEP set up.

eastside 400
09-02-2009, 08:28 PM
the lsr dc6 is a good rear end, i have the dc6 and a superlink, the superlink is better but idk about being like $1000 better. the walsh savior is good but it hangs low thats why they came out with the EZ link. ive heard good about that link too. its all up to your price range really

DEVINF450R
09-02-2009, 09:17 PM
i NOTICED THEY HAD THE ez LINK AND ITS ACTUALLY CHEAPER

Butter
09-02-2009, 10:01 PM
JB Superlink!! But ARSFX makes a killer setup as well. My bro has been running his for 4 years and its amazing!! Running Axis shocks with both.

nynetwo9
09-03-2009, 05:56 AM
I have a pepbig bottle zps with the walsh saviorsetup. It is a sweet setup man. its pretty wild looking too. I'm happy with it. I was having alot of trouble gettin used to the way the 450r handled compared to my hybrids and 400ex's in the past. so i switched to it and loved it. really makes it handle well. the only negative thing i have to say about it is this, the actual linkage sets very low and i scrape alot on the takeoffs of bigger jumps. then again im tryin to figure outhow to get the shock setup to eliminate that. Any aftermarket swinger and link u go with will improve the handling 100%. the lonestar dc6 as mentioned above is also a good too.

300ex_#387
09-03-2009, 08:20 AM
DC-6 is the best bang for the buck. The stock sweingarm isn't a bad swingarm for MX. But like he said it all depends on your price range. You can sepend a little over a grand on the DC-6 link and shock combo or you can spend a little over 2 grand on the Savior with a shock combo.

Oh yeah.....by my quad Devin. haha

MX450
09-03-2009, 12:12 PM
I would say the JB or the Walsh EZ, i know joe byrd and his riders switched to the EZ setup i guess bc the link hung real low, idk but if you got the cash you deff cannot go wrong with any of them.

Personally i would go with the JB

RIDEREDson
09-03-2009, 02:40 PM
Im sure its not as good as the ones already mentioned, but how well does the GTthunder link and revalve do?

HBRIG014
09-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I LIKE MY STOCK SWING WITH FOX AND GTT LINK

DEVINF450R
09-03-2009, 04:26 PM
The Honda I have been riding is my mechanics and its HELLA fast and has Elka Elites and Laeger fronts and fox w/ GT Thunder on the rear and its not as smooth as my LTR with Floats/Four-Play fronts and Walsh link/podium rear. Money isnt really an object. I want what works the BEST. Which isnt always the most expensive. I hear Floats on a 450r make it dive in corners b/c hondas have a higher center of gravity. I just like the power and reliability of the honda. I just want it to handle as well as a KFX or LTR

BlaineKaiser450
09-03-2009, 05:36 PM
DC6 and a stock 06+ swingarm is great!

eastside 400
09-03-2009, 07:24 PM
the foxs do dive/roll in turns, everyone knows it so dont act like there isnt a problem with it and he is stupid. many people complain about the roll with foxs but you can get it to a point where it handles good and the shocks work better everywhere else, i wont go to anything else i know that

HBRIG014
09-03-2009, 07:54 PM
I Got floats on mine... i worked two whole days on the dive and i got it worked out were it dont dive near as bad ad it did when i first got them... and they work great everywhere else to.. but regaurdless they still dive a bit..

kbass24emtp
09-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Hey Devin, you can test ride mine. I have the Elka Elites front and rear, with their pro linkage on the rear. I think it works great.
I think any one of the listed linkages will work as long as the shock is valved right. My shocks were night and day after DeRisi revalved them for me.

DEVINF450R
09-03-2009, 09:26 PM
I am lookin more for a national style setup Kurt, basically the best handling rear end and front end... The Elka Elites are ok, but they suck in the rough stuff compared to floats. revalves are good but cant touch PEP Axis or Fox. Anyone use the axis pro airs with the cross link yet??

BTW honda rider, I was just stating what I had heard, and most amatures at nationals had Axis on Hondas that I seen this year... sooo yeah:D

quadracer85st
09-03-2009, 10:39 PM
i say teixeria tech
im running a teixeria tech linkage and fox dsc rear. coming from an elka dual and motowoz i have to say that the linkage is night and day compared to my old setup.

i like because it uses an 06-09 swinger which is light, easy to find and cheap to replace.

walsh savior trx450r specs from dana creech racing

*17.75" rear shock
*5" of stroke
*2.1 leverage ratio

1,375.00 and thats including there swingarm which you have to run to use this linkage which is costly if need be replaced

teixeria tech linkage specs

Will accept up to an 17.75” shock

"Very gradual progression curve eliminates dreaded bucking of stock linkage and allows accurate suspension tuning with shock

Amazing average leverage ratio for a bolt in linkage of 2.01>1 (use with stock 2006 & newer swing-arm)

Exceptional ground clearance considering shock length".- $ 495

they also sell a poly skid for the linkage to which is nice for rocky tracks.

just my 2 cents.

kbass24emtp
09-04-2009, 05:21 AM
I have not been able to find alot of reviews on the Axis Air shocks. Their has been a few post asking questions on them and they all don't seem to get more than five or six responses and not alot of info on them too. I do really like that Teixeria Tech linkage, and if I ever get the itch to change suspension that is the link I would get. Oh, and my revalves are as good as PEP and Axis, because I had a kid with a full PEP setup and he liked my shocks alot better than his. It is all in the valving and set up. Don't knock them till you ride them Devin. As for the front I really like the Housers. They are really built strong and the Slicast makes it really easy to fine tune very fast. Plus they just re-designed them and made them even lighter and stronger than mine. The big plus is that they have needle bearing that are greasable where they attach to the frame and there is no helm joints. Even better is the price.

liljhall09
09-04-2009, 08:06 AM
I was lookin to get JB with pep , but i heard the 06' swinger with a good link and shock is just as good , so im prob gonna get the 06' swinger with a JB link and Pep shock

MX450
09-04-2009, 09:42 AM
JB doesnt make a link for the 06+ swinger

liljhall09
09-04-2009, 10:00 AM
o thts right , ill have to get an lsr link or somethin then

DEVINF450R
09-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I miss read your post Kurt.. about the ravalve, I thought you meant stock. I have yet to ride a spring shock that is as good as air as far as smoothness. Axis's xlink is supposed to eliminate the dive and act like a sway bar. alot of guys at lorettas this year were running sway bars

Yeah I planned on getting an new Tric Trac front end and going with 04-05 front end bc I think they handled better. has anyine on here done this?

rollie
09-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by quadracer85st
i say teixeria tech
im running a teixeria tech linkage and fox dsc rear. coming from an elka dual and motowoz i have to say that the linkage is night and day compared to my old setup.

i like because it uses an 06-09 swinger which is light, easy to find and cheap to replace.

walsh savior trx450r specs from dana creech racing

*17.75" rear shock
*5" of stroke
*2.1 leverage ratio

1,375.00 and thats including there swingarm which you have to run to use this linkage which is costly if need be replaced

teixeria tech linkage specs

Will accept up to an 17.75” shock

"Very gradual progression curve eliminates dreaded bucking of stock linkage and allows accurate suspension tuning with shock

Amazing average leverage ratio for a bolt in linkage of 2.01>1 (use with stock 2006 & newer swing-arm)

Exceptional ground clearance considering shock length".- $ 495

they also sell a poly skid for the linkage to which is nice for rocky tracks.

just my 2 cents.

Just because the shock is the same length doesnt mean it has the same performance. not bad talking anything just saying.

Scro
09-04-2009, 12:33 PM
My Teixeira linkage works great for XC, which is primarily what it was designed for (that and desert racing). I'm sure you could get it to work, but you're going to have a hard time finding a shock builder that has any experience setting an MX shock up for it.

quadracer85st
09-04-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Scro
My Teixeira linkage works great for XC, which is primarily what it was designed for (that and desert racing). I'm sure you could get it to work, but you're going to have a hard time finding a shock builder that has any experience setting an MX shock up for it.

the linkage can be used for any applications of riding. im currently using it for mx, fox racing has all the specs to set this linkage up for xc,desert,mx,worcs etc. not just xc and desert. ed advertises more to the xc, desert crowd because of the ground clearance you gain using his setup also because of winning a desert championship with it, and having wayne johnson run his stuff in xc. testing has been done in all areas. and i have to say im impressed with it compared to my elka dual linkage setup.

""Just because the shock is the same length doesnt mean it has the same performance. not bad talking anything just saying.""

you are absolutely correct, but i was more making a point with the similarities in leverage ratios and price difference with this setup.

RIDEREDson
09-04-2009, 05:31 PM
so hows the gt thunder mx link do compare to the lonestar link on the 06+ swingers?

X-tech
09-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by quadracer85st
the linkage can be used for any applications of riding. im currently using it for mx, fox racing has all the specs to set this linkage up for xc,desert,mx,worcs etc. not just xc and desert. ed advertises more to the xc, desert crowd because of the ground clearance you gain using his setup also because of winning a desert championship with it, and having wayne johnson run his stuff in xc. testing has been done in all areas. and i have to say im impressed with it compared to my elka dual linkage setup.

""Just because the shock is the same length doesnt mean it has the same performance. not bad talking anything just saying.""

you are absolutely correct, but i was more making a point with the similarities in leverage ratios and price difference with this setup.
You are dead on! Thanks for the words. I will supply some more info below.

Just some info so that everyone understands our linkage:
Our linkage can be used for any type of racing. Fox and Motowoz have all of our specs for MX, XC, WORCS, and dezert racing. Custom Axis has our XC specs and is adding all others also. TCS is also doing extansive testing with our linkage so that they will also have all the specs for all aspects of riding and racing. Our linkage has been said to be one of the best on the market if not the best by riders that have ridden the big name mx linkages. I personally have never ridden any other linkage so I don't know. Duane Johnson for the GNCC's has claimed this to be the best he has ever ridden and he has ridden and tested quite a few. In addition, you don't have to purchase an aftermarket swing-arm. You can run the only swing-arm that doesn't break on the Honda, the stock aluminum '06 and newer, which is lighter than any other. Our linkage has been used in all types of racing and we will take the Women's (not pro-am women) 2009 title in the GNC Nationals this year.

Our linkage does get more publicity in XC and Dezert series, but that is because it has been proven in these venues already with various Pro and Expert class wins that have been publicized online. We also hype up the ground clearance because we have the most clearance of any linkage on the market. The clearance is good no matter what type of racing you are doing.

I have been told by various shock builders that our linkage is the easiest to set a shock up for any type of racing or riding. One builder even went as far to say that if they could, they would only sell shocks for our Honda linkage and forget the rest.

Please feel free to ask any questions you have and I will try to get on here and answer them.

Ed

D Bergstrom
09-04-2009, 06:54 PM
Another vote for the Teixeira Tech Linkage. I have one on both my 450R's. They are both setup for desert, but I am sure the linkage will work great no matter what you are racing. My race 450 uses the linkage with a Motowoz shock, this setup is by far the best my quad has ever worked. Before this setup, I ran a Elka/Houser rear. I had the Elka reworked by a couple of different companies over the years, but the Teixeira/Motowoz combo still blows it away.

Doug

Ex_Rider43
09-09-2009, 09:28 PM
I ran a couple of rear ends in the past years .

I have Saviors since 2006 , 1st year was with elka ... nightmare.

switched to the 1st gen. Fox podium which was a good upgrade but still wasnt what i was looking for.

I got this shock rebuilt and revalved by Stadium and it was really good.

Then i got another savior for my race bike with the new fox. It felt good but i didnt have much time on it , probably 2 hours.

earlier this summer i bought 3 Stadium shocks with a GT thunder link for the 06+ swingarm, it is the best thing I tried yet. I got comments from other racers mechanics on how smooth my bike was in the rough parts of the track . i really like it.

DEVINF450R
09-09-2009, 11:10 PM
I got to ride a full PEP 450R this weekend with savior rear end and I was impressed... not as smooth as floats on the front end, but the rear was firm but VERY forgiving. it hooked up wayyy better than the fox/GT Thunder set-up I run. the walsh rear end was way better

300ex_#387
09-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by hondarider11
I forgot that you were pro. Sorry.:rolleyes:

As rutted and crazy as some of the national tracks get you really do need a good suspension setup. He isn't say he is a pro but for running nationals good suspension is a must.

ALAMX37
09-10-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by hondarider11
I forgot that you were pro. Sorry.:rolleyes:

Your urologist called, they found your head. JK

If money is not an object why not get the best out there. For the rear of a Honda, the JB superlink is going to be hard to touch, match it up with PEPs and you will have a mighty fine suspension setup.

Butter
09-10-2009, 11:21 PM
Dude, not trying to argue with you, or start anything, cause I've seen you get pretty angry, but I'm 95% sure my JB swinger is ChromeMoly. Actually I'm 95% sure most all aftermarket swingers and arms are ChromeMoly. And I am 100% sure that Lonestar's 450R frame, and the old Douglas Roll, Walsh and other 250R frames were ChromeMoly, cause my bro owned the Roll frame. I will be able to tell you the difference between the DC6/Stock setup vs. the JB Superlink in a week, cause I'm putting the DC6 on my practice bike, and I have the JB on my race bike. Both with identical Axis shocks. I plan on doing a write up as it was, because it is a highly debated topic.

MX450
09-11-2009, 08:27 AM
chromoly is a type of steel, just alot stronger than the mild steel used on stock frames. Most of your aftermarket goodies are made with 4130 chromoly STEEL

what is wrong with a steel swingarm:rolleyes:

Butter
09-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Lol, and there ya go. I knew what I was talking about, lol.:devil:

Butter
09-11-2009, 04:00 PM
Called a joke. Loosen up a bit.

And if Chromemoly (Steel) swingers are so bad, why does everyone run one? I understand the weight deal, but I doubt that weight from an aftermarket swinger will decrease a riders ability.

DEVINF450R
09-13-2009, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by Butter
Called a joke. Loosen up a bit.

And if Chromemoly (Steel) swingers are so bad, why does everyone run one? I understand the weight deal, but I doubt that weight from an aftermarket swinger will decrease a riders ability.

Steel Flexes and aluminum esp cast Al, will not (in comparison). when you corner you want some flex so both rear wheels stay on the ground better. Its the main reason Team Kawi switched to the Walsh S.R. (stock replacement) swingarm. but I agree, my ltr swing arm destroyed itself in several places.