PDA

View Full Version : This is my new 440 set up:

Steven
01-11-2003, 02:12 PM
This is the 440 I'm building now. Any input now would be appreciated before I get it together.

Ross 89mm piston which according to Ross yields 11.2:1 compression ratio at factory deck hieghts (.040 in the jug). Assembled with no base gasket and a .025 head gasket, that should reduce squish to about .045 and bring compression ratio to near 12:1 making the piston about .020 in the hole.

I'm using the Advanced Sleeve TRX440 big-bore sleeve, a Hotcams Stage II camshaft with new honda rockers, a White Brothers Rev-box, and the stock head.

I will be running the K&N Stage II (no air box lid) jet kit and filter with outerwear. The carb will be assembled with a #45 pilot, neddle clip on 4th groove from top, and a 185 main jet to start.

My exhaust is the White Brothers complete R4 Pro-Meg system.

I will be seating the head studs a few threads deeper into the sleeve as most recommend.

Any advsise will be most appreciated.

Thanks-Steve

Sparks425Ex
01-11-2003, 03:24 PM
I say keep the compression under 11:1. You will be more reliable and be able to you pump gas.

I also recommend a Sparks X-4 or a Tc Pipe. If you want a powerful monster 440.

I also would go with a FCR 39 carburator if you have any extra money. You will really feel some major gains with that.

But otherwise you have quite the set up.

Can't wait to hear how it runs.

Steven
01-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Geepers!
I'm not buying a new exhaust...$500!?

I like the carb idea but I don't have the extra money. Cam2 100 Octane race gas is readily and cheaply available here so I do want to take advantage of that by running higher compression than usual.

Thanks for the input.

Anyone else have ideas that where I can better utilize my CURRENT set up?

Is it better to mill and go zero deck and use a .040 head gasket?

Thanks!

nakomis0
01-11-2003, 11:40 PM
Higher compression is a big factor in how hot the bike runs, a 12:1 comp, could use some extra cooling.

RAPTORAZ
01-12-2003, 08:15 AM
Sounds like a good set up to me. I would have the the head ported as well though. Because you're definately gonna want a 41mm FCR down the road as well.

RED121572
01-12-2003, 08:42 AM
WOW! Nice set up there hoss!! Im no professional engine builder, but it sounds to me that you have all your ducks in a row. I cant wait to read your review of it!!

Let us know if your motor is able to pull the extra RPMs well with that rev box. I have one, but dont like it. Ive got a XR250 rev box. Ill sell it to ya for 40 bucks. :D Ill pay for shipping.

Dave400ex
01-12-2003, 09:07 AM
Sounds great. I think your Pipe will be fine. Maybe getting a "Hotter" cam would be better like a Sparks, TC, LRD, Etc. Then the only other things I can think of are the Carb and having it Ported and Polished!

Steven
01-12-2003, 03:54 PM
Yea, I really wanted to go milder on the cam than the WB track cam I had. Something that would be easier on the rockers, so I'm trying the Hotcam.

I'm going to run it without the head work at first and if I don't like it, I'll get the head done.

mikeboone
01-12-2003, 06:15 PM
The Hotcam stage II has almost identical lift and duration as the WB Track Cam (which is a clone of the Web 451/450 cam) Web makes white bros cams...The only difference is Hotcams are made from new material while WEB cams are made by hardwelding to stock cams and grinding to new specs; this requiring hardfaced rockers for max reliability. Lift on the Stage II Hotcam is .354 with WB Track cam and Web 451 at .350 lift. Duration is slightly higher on Web and WB.

Steven
01-13-2003, 05:19 PM
Thanks for the information on the Hotcam. I hope it works as well as my WB track cam and is kinder to the rockers.

Steven
01-15-2003, 07:47 PM
What is more important?

Zero deck or .040 squish?

13RAZOR13
01-15-2003, 08:31 PM
harden the rockers !!!
get heavy dutysprings!!!
New com chain & tensioner!!!
You dont have to do thi but mark my word your cam & rocker are going to wear out early!! been their done that --
I hope you dont float your valves!! been their done that--
I hope you dont skip a tooth because of a streched out chain andwith the combination off a weak tensioner!!been their done that--
And I hope to GOD that your weak 400trx rod doesnt snap!!been their doon that------
But you dont have to listen to me,just ask any one who works alot on modified from stock 400trx motors.Like Mr Sparks!I dident listen to him either!! been their done that