PDA

View Full Version : what's a good price on valve adjustment's?

ECHILD
09-02-2009, 01:18 PM
i am gunna get my valves done soon and i wanna know how much i should have too pay the shop,i called a few places

1st place 180.00
2nd place 165.00
3rd place 65.00

i cant understand why the 3rd place is a 100 bux cheaper.

what is a good price i know cheaper is not always better ya know...

Which 450?
09-02-2009, 01:21 PM
I charge about $100 to adjust valves on a single cylinder when I do side work. This is not the bucket over shim type tho, I will charge a little more for that. the $65 is awfully cheap, might be a good thing though.

brian76708
09-02-2009, 02:02 PM
if your doing the valves on the 400ex do yourself a favor and buy a feeler gauge and read this. It isnt all that complicated and will save you a lot of money in the long run.
http://www.atvriders.com/articles/valveadjustment400ex.html

quad2xtreme
09-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by brian76708
if your doing the valves on the 400ex do yourself a favor and buy a feeler gauge and read this. It isnt all that complicated and will save you a lot of money in the long run.

If you aren't comfortable following the guide, find out what the guy who wants $65 would charge if you already take the plastic and gas tank off. Most shops have a small gas bottle than can hang to start it anyhow.

Honestly, it is so simple to adjust valves on a 400ex you should just do it.

09-02-2009, 03:01 PM
heck i'll do it for $50 lol. after doing it so many times its simple stuff. i can take the plastics and everything off in probally 5 minutes. If you have feeler gauges I recommend trying it yourself, there is a DIY vavle adjustment write up for the 400ex.

the 1st time will take a bit longer but after that it just gets easier and easier and its a simple task.

ECHILD
09-02-2009, 09:48 PM
i want to learn how,i just would rather watch it get done the first time,ya know..i think i am going to try the 65 dollar guy.whats the worst that could happen if they do it wrong or somthing.i dont want my quad to come out of the shop all f***ed up..

Muddinguy
09-02-2009, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by ECHILD
i want to learn how,i just would rather watch it get done the first time,ya know..i think i am going to try the 65 dollar guy.whats the worst that could happen if they do it wrong or somthing.i dont want my quad to come out of the shop all f***ed up..

It's hard to screw up man..

Im legally retarded in my own mind and i'd be comfortable doing it

Whit11b
09-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Muddinguy you are legally retarded, I did your valves for you. I'm not all that familiar with atv stuff yet, but the 400ex is really simple. Get yourself a service manual if you don't have one or use the right up and give it a shot. I did my first two this week, they were easy.

Pipeless416
09-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by ECHILD

man, too bad im not home right now. i'm only about 45 minutes east of you.. i could have shown you how to do it for free.