PDA

View Full Version : Using different thickness base gaskets.

Honda 250r 001
09-02-2009, 07:16 AM
Ok i have .10, .20 (stock) and a .30 and .40 thickness gaskets and i wondered if i changed to a thicker or thinner one it would give me more low end power by changing the port timing. I would need to use a thinner gasket than stock to make low end power right? So if i run a .30 gasket i will get less compression and maybe more top end power?

Or will it make any difference at all?

basicly an adjustible porting so i can dune and mx race and trail ride.

just a thought

discuss...

86 Quad R
09-02-2009, 07:59 AM
you are correct in your thinking. a good test would be to start out with the thickest gasket and work your way down to the thinest, to see how the bike response and how it feels on the ole butt dyno. keep in mind that its important that you know what the compression is and most importantly what the squish is when you start out. not going under .038-.040". if your attemting this with a spacer plate, it can get a bit trying lol

fulltiltrider
09-02-2009, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
you are correct in your thinking. a good test would be to start out with the thickest gasket and work your way down to the thinest, to see how the bike response and how it feels on the ole butt dyno. keep in mind that its important that you know what the compression is and most importantly what the squish is when you start out. not going under .038-.040". if your attemting this with a spacer plate, it can get a bit trying lol

Good advise, just be sure when you start going thinner, you measure that squish. Dont go under .035. With rod stretch and crank flex it is already going to be dangerously close to hitting the head, throw in a wore set of crank bearings and things could go bad quick.

Saul76
09-03-2009, 05:44 PM
I've got an old issue of '3&4 wheel action' here and they say to use two stock base gaskets on top of one another and use an 89 cr250 head gasket.

Honda 250r 001
09-04-2009, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Saul76
I've got an old issue of '3&4 wheel action' here and they say to use two stock base gaskets on top of one another and use an 89 cr250 head gasket.

thats interesting, Im guessing that would give the R more top end power. But im using a aftermarket cylinder so Im not sure what im going to do.