PDA

View Full Version : sand in engine

2fiftosR
09-02-2009, 03:38 AM
was duning yesterday and when i got home i realised my air filter (eliminator kit) had come loose. not sure how much sand ive sucked in but wondering what i should do about it.. keep riding and hope for the best?? i just finished breaking it in (topend rebuild) too which sucks

cdrookie
09-02-2009, 05:44 AM
take the pipe off and look in through the exhaust port and see how bad the piston skirt is scratched up. more than likely it's gonna need bored.

Honda 250r 001
09-02-2009, 07:08 AM
whats your compression? Is there a whole bunch of sand in the reeds and the rest of the intake.

If you are at the dunes i would do that first and see what it looks like, if its just completely packed, your screwed, but if its not that bad, and you need to ride with your buddies, I would give it a shot, not suggesting, just saying what i would do.

IF you are at home and you have another big dune trip coming up, TAKE THE TOP END OFF. you will most likely need to clean the crank case and rod bearings.

hondamancbr03
09-02-2009, 08:51 AM
If you do see signs of sand either with the skirt being scratched up or reeds having sand stuck to them, you will need to do more than just take off the top end.....Most likely the crank bearings will have sand in them as well.

If it was my play bike, i would clean it as good as possible and run it until she broke and then put a 4mil in it:) Best thing about something breaking is it gives us a reason to upgrade!

Honda 250r 001
09-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by hondamancbr03
If you do see signs of sand either with the skirt being scratched up or reeds having sand stuck to them, you will need to do more than just take off the top end.....Most likely the crank bearings will have sand in them as well.

If it was my play bike, i would clean it as good as possible and run it until she broke and then put a 4mil in it:) Best thing about something breaking is it gives us a reason to upgrade!

you can actually clean the mains witout taking the motor clear apart, you can take the stator and flywheel off and the seal and there is the bearing, use compressed air and starting fluid to clean it.

also on the other side take the clutch cover off and the crank gear and the seal and wala there is he bearing, again use starting fluid and compressed air to clean it up

250r grave yard
09-02-2009, 10:51 AM
im bout sertin that you sucked up sand sand flys every where if you got sand chillin on your motor you got sand in your motor clean the carb reeds cylinder if not to much is wrong with the piston rering it .

think of it like this one piece of grit makes another and there goes your motor

you may have got lucky but dont think you did

hondamancbr03
09-02-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
you can actually clean the mains witout taking the motor clear apart, you can take the stator and flywheel off and the seal and there is the bearing, use compressed air and starting fluid to clean it.
also on the other side take the clutch cover off and the crank gear and the seal and wala there is he bearing, again use starting fluid and compressed air to clean it up

Question for ya....When you go to clean your rod bearing by (i assume) spraying it with cleaner, how are you going to get the sand out of the bottom of the case that you just forced in there with the cleaner? How much do you really save by not buying a case gasket and just splitting the motor and cleaning everything while it's a part?

Honda 250r 001
09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
compressed air is your friend, my friend.

Its hard to say what to do until we find out if he is setting at a hotel in cali at the dunes, or if he is setting at home doin nothng

if he is at the dune trip of his life or somehthing then ****in risk it by just cleaning it out.

but if yout setting at home, tear it down to be on the safe side.

hondamancbr03
09-02-2009, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Honda 250r 001
Its hard to say what to do until we find out if he is setting at a hotel in cali at the dunes, or if he is setting at home doin nothng

His post said he was at home....That's why i questioned just blowing sand around in the engine. I agree that if i was on a dune trip and didn't want to sit in camp and watch others ride, i would clean it the best i could and ride.

Honda 250r 001
09-02-2009, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by hondamancbr03
His post said he was at home....That's why i questioned just blowing sand around in the engine. I agree that if i was on a dune trip and didn't want to sit in camp and watch others ride, i would clean it the best i could and ride.

my bad once again lol i didnt notice he was at home...

another thing we need to know is how much sand it looks like got into the intake, because if that much sand got in the intake, the reeds are most likely pitted and a little rough.

hondamancbr03
09-02-2009, 01:54 PM
I've seen guys lose a filter (running duals) from their Banshee's so many time and not know until they got back to camp, grab another, clamped it on and off running again! Little sand just adds a little extra piston clearance:)

86 Quad R
09-02-2009, 02:35 PM
lol en that sand can get in places that i dont think mother nature had ever intended it to be :eek:

2fiftosR
09-02-2009, 07:57 PM
thanks for the replys..
ive taken the reeds and pipe off. my very un-qualified opinion says the piston skirt isnt scratched too bad, there are markings but they dont look too bad to me, but again i know very little.
there wasnt much sand in the intake or reeds, only a few grains really and not much in the carb either..
so i dont think its sucked in too much from what i can tell..
RUN IT?....

hondamancbr03
09-02-2009, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by 2fiftosR
RUN IT?....

If it was my play bike, i would run it....But that's my opinion for my own bike.

Honda 250r 001
09-03-2009, 07:14 AM
run it man, pistons get scratched up from wear. Get pics, but i would just run it, if it hasnt been off that long, you would be ok, say less than a couple hours then i would just throw the thing back together and run it.