PDA

View Full Version : axle question

450Rida
09-01-2009, 11:01 PM
so i bent my axle the other day at the track, and im jus wondering what you guys recomend is "best bang for the buck" axle? im looking to keep the stock width. its a 08x.

TNT
09-01-2009, 11:28 PM
Here is the deal with the axle, if you take a solid tube grab it at both ends and try and bend it down the upper outer surface goes into tension and the lower outer surface goes into compression, the center of the axle sees very little of either, so the inside of the axle is not very effective in taking the bending or torsion loads, thats why this one is hollow a first in the industry. Steel is 2.5 times heavier than aluminum so to keep weight down the DS uses extended reach aluminum hubs to shorten the length of the steel axle and keep the unsprung weight down. That light weight axle/hub assembly design allows the tires to move up and down faster to follow terrain while at the same time keeping the quads low mass of inertia for dynamic control. In this case the axle is 4140 steel tube precip hardened.

joeyds450x
09-02-2009, 05:46 AM
lonestar axcalibar adjustable axle.. cost about $320 on ebay and way stronger than stock..

Racers Dad 37
09-02-2009, 07:48 AM
Lonestar Racing Axcalibar Hollow!

FULL LIFETIME WARRANTY

All stock part fit this axle hub, rotor, drive hub.

grantmi
09-02-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by TNT
Here is the deal with the axle, if you take a solid tube grab it at both ends and try and bend it down the upper outer surface goes into tension and the lower outer surface goes into compression, the center of the axle sees very little of either, so the inside of the axle is not very effective in taking the bending or torsion loads, thats why this one is hollow a first in the industry. Steel is 2.5 times heavier than aluminum so to keep weight down the DS uses extended reach aluminum hubs to shorten the length of the steel axle and keep the unsprung weight down. That light weight axle/hub assembly design allows the tires to move up and down faster to follow terrain while at the same time keeping the quads low mass of inertia for dynamic control. In this case the axle is 4140 steel tube precip hardened.

They guy just asked for a recommendation on what he could purchase.....not a full thesis.........

TNT
09-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by grantmi
They guy just asked for a recommendation on what he could purchase.....not a full thesis.........

LOL....There are solid and hollow axles out there such as Axcalibar offers for the DS, I like to know everything I can before I decided especially axles....I guess if the guy thinks I gave too much info he'll let me know.....:D

xrxmxcx
09-02-2009, 07:44 PM
HAHAHA, over-informed.

LSR Gun Drilled FTW!

TNT
09-02-2009, 08:17 PM
I did a little research on axles and talked to both RPM and Axcalibar for my own benefit. It’s a tough one that I don’t like making a recommendation without doing my homework.

The Axcaliber is made of a stronger steel HS220, the “HS” stands for “High Strength”. They offer a solid or hollow axle and life time warrantee although I could not find the terms and conditions of it on their website (I don’t go off word of mouth like it in writing). They claim to precision machine(NC) the part to the OEM specs. The stock axle is made of 4140 tube, ¾ ID, again this material is not as strong as Axcaliber so it should be stronger if it’s machined to the same spec’s, how much who knows. Also the weight should be about the same. If you go with the solid one about 5-lbs in weight I calculated.

RMP Dom 2 also has a axle made out of 4130 chromolly steel, it’s 1 ½ inch in OD and they only offer it solid, no hollow. They do have their warrantee info on their site and test info comparing their axle to the competitions including Axcaliber. They fail to mention what axle they compared, I’m inclined to think it should not matter much and I respect the fact that they publish their test results, right or wrong. Other good thing they do is offer a Honda sproket since they are more available in the market to change size.

So there it is more thesis and yet no clear answer lol... I think since you bent the stock axle I stay away from it, I’d probably go with the Axcaliber hollow since it is higher grade steel, if it fails upgrade it with solid model under warrantee.

TNT
09-02-2009, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by xrxmxcx
HAHAHA, over-informed.

LSR Gun Drilled FTW!

Yeah that gun drilling is pretty cool, then they hone it to a micro-finish to prevent stress cracking.

450Rida
09-09-2009, 10:25 PM
thanks for the info. i think im gonna get the axcaliber, found one for a reasonable amount, ill jus add it to the winter rebuild list...

TNT
12-06-2009, 07:18 PM
We bent an 09 stock axle at an AX this weekend. Rediculous!

Anyone tried the Axcaliber or RPM Dom 2.....I'm not going back to stock it's junk!

atvlover
12-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Hey guys this is Johnny from Motoworks. Obviously everyone likes different axles. The Can Am race axle is the best axle made. They make one in standard width and 50". WE have only broken one in the time we have been racing.
If anybody wants just a stock replacement axle, we have a lot of them in the race shop. You can have them for free just pay the shipping. For the strongest axle, use the Can Am race axle in either width. Have fun!

TNT
12-15-2009, 09:49 PM
Now ya tell me Johnny after $800 clams on a DOM 2....:rolleyes:

Had to use money to put the Motoworks 450 head on but will be in touch as soon as good old tnt dad can put the money back together on top if everything else we want to to it. Can you all send some luck our way.....:D