PDA

View Full Version : 2005 Predator Timing...HELP PLEASE!!!

XELTANIA
09-01-2009, 06:15 PM
Guys...
I need help with the timing on the Predator 500, here is the long story in short, piston sized, replaced valves,guides, pretty much everything, I have put it together twice in the right time as per the service manual, does not explode at all, I have spark, gas, and air,

Tming marks are as they said on 12 and 9 and same thing on exhaust 12 and 9 + advanced, nothing, How to identify if I am dealing with no oem cams? Is it there any other trick to lineup the time?
I really will appreciate the help.

katch26
09-02-2009, 01:50 PM
timing is still the same on aftermarket cams so dont worry too much there. Where is your flywheel during all this? When you have it set your way are the cams flat pointing out (ie left and right)? I would guess and say you tried to start it at some point after the piston seized and snapped your timing key which would give you an off sense of TDC if you were using the "T". You will have to pull the plywheel to check though.

XELTANIA
09-04-2009, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by katch26
timing is still the same on aftermarket cams so dont worry too much there. Where is your flywheel during all this? When you have it set your way are the cams flat pointing out (ie left and right)? I would guess and say you tried to start it at some point after the piston seized and snapped your timing key which would give you an off sense of TDC if you were using the "T". You will have to pull the plywheel to check though.

DO you think that having the TDC mark (T) and the timing chain gear on mark (because i have the clutch cover off) and working with a long screw driver into the spark plug hole is any chance to get an off sense of TDC ?

Also I found that the cams are not original they are aftermarket with numbers like 5045(intake) and 5046 (exhaust),

Can not find the right timing, i have gas, i have spark, compression and not explosion...

XELTANIA
09-04-2009, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by XELTANIA
DO you think that having the TDC mark (T) and the timing chain gear on mark (because i have the clutch cover off) and working with a long screw driver into the spark plug hole is any chance to get an off sense of TDC ?

Also I found that the cams are not original they are aftermarket with numbers like 5045(intake) and 5046 (exhaust),

Can not find the right timing, i have gas, i have spark, compression and not explosion... ...

Well yes the lobes are pointing in opposite directions...

katch26
09-05-2009, 09:28 AM
those are just hotcams and take the same timing as stock. Thats fine and all but how are you sure the flywheel is keyed into the crank? I suggested you examine the flywheel key to make sure it didnt snap which would make your t mark off. if its not lined up than t isnt really t is it?

youre effectively talking about 2 completely different things cam timing and spark timing. By lining up all the marks than your cam timing would be correct but it the "t" is misaligned than your spark timing would be off and the machine would spark (if at all) off rhythm.

What are your valve clearances?