PDA

View Full Version : 1986 ATV Motocross Race

TrapZ400
09-01-2009, 06:10 PM
Moto 1 and 2 with commentary!

Moto 1
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQN-FMJVYeA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VQN-FMJVYeA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Moto 2
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oPuMOo_fTCg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oPuMOo_fTCg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

hondariderdylan
09-01-2009, 06:17 PM
neat.:)

jimmy white, epic racer, still involved with team green to this day

i dont like how they acted like quad racing was for nothing more than old farts that couldnt handle bikes though:ermm:

madskrillz2
09-01-2009, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
neat.:)

jimmy white, epic racer, still involved with team green to this day

i dont like how they acted like quad racing was for nothing more than old farts that couldnt handle bikes though:ermm:

Yeah that kinda made me not even wanna watch the video lol.

coryatver
09-01-2009, 07:47 PM
is Rodney Fowler in that first video related to walker fowler. The video is from 86 when quads first came out the announcers don't even know what to think of quad lol

I thought it was funny how Jimmy White says the Honda isn't as good of a bike as the suzuki. After 86 i don't think anybody even raced suzuki's anymore the 250r dominated. They all look like pretty much stock quads. I would love to take a pro set up 450 back in time and line up and race them lol

deathman53
09-01-2009, 08:50 PM
I know where you can get a famous pro's atv's, xc racing quads to compare them. Barry Hawk's quads to be specific.

gncc025
09-01-2009, 09:08 PM
thats some good stuff

Brad77
09-01-2009, 09:57 PM
I know Donny Banks, I was in Capital Cycle just a couple of weeks ago and he showed me that first clip on his computer. Very cool
He told me that the video doesn't show just how rough the track really was.

mxduner
09-23-2009, 02:21 AM
http://www.mysmiley.net.nyud.net/imgs/smile/happy/happy0180.gif (http://www.mysmiley.net/free-mad-smileys.php)

CorvetteZ06
09-23-2009, 05:08 AM
great Vid...

dan harris
09-23-2009, 05:56 AM
Awesome - Thanks for the glimpse of the past. They were some exciting times to be a quad rider, all the mfger's were pumped on the racing scene !!!

This is still an awesome time to be a quad rider with all the new high performance 450 4 strokes !!!

Quads Rule !!!

Saul76
09-23-2009, 07:04 AM
Keep watching the channel - I'll be putting more up soon.

Some old school connections are paying off with old VHS being dug out of dusty boxes in the closet. :D

If you ever wanna read some recent interviews that I've done with some of these guys like Jimmy White, Mike Coe etc etc - hit the interviews section

-Saul

hasbeenttduner
09-23-2009, 08:46 AM
Very cool ^!

I was at carlsbad that day and as stated above that place was very ruff , narrow ,and hard packed.

blacknblue#2
09-23-2009, 09:20 AM
I like how they say that these quad guys dont like gettin off the ground, the like keepin those tires on the ground lol....Wonder what these guys could do today with the technology of suspension and such that we have today

usp4u
09-23-2009, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
I thought it was funny how Jimmy White says the Honda isn't as good of a bike as the suzuki. After 86 i don't think anybody even raced suzuki's anymore the 250r dominated.

The LT's held on for while, til like '90-'91 or so. Gary Denton won alot on his suzuki while the 250R was in production before switching over to the honda. There was time when Lonestar(then called JP Racing) ran only Quadracers.

Tommy131
09-23-2009, 11:02 AM
wow i have never really watched a atv race from back in the day before.
that was B.A.!!!! haha

hasbeenttduner
09-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
The LT's held on for while, til like '90-'91 or so. Gary Denton won alot on his suzuki while the 250R was in production before switching over to the honda. There was time when Lonestar(then called JP Racing) ran only Quadracers.

Suzuki had more support $ out there.Suzuki bucks etc.They also gave support direct to more riders in the 80's.Almost every rider when the suzuki money was gone they bought and raced a honda when it came down to thier money.Denton included.Are you sure about JP Racing and suzuki?I know they were all over the honda's back then and the first frames were just a lighter and cro mo replacement for the stock frame.Axles first by the way.They also made zuk frames that could run honda suspension.Jimmy was at war with the man at team honda and would never say anything good about them.The team honda soap opera was a mess back then.They made some team riders run tires that were not as good as what they gave some of the other rider/riders to run and that is a small sample of how it was.The honda was far better then the suzuki from the start and everyone knew it.Some stuck with the zuk for the money.

usp4u
09-23-2009, 12:52 PM
dig up some of the really old magazines and you'll find JP ads that feature LT250's very prominatly. The outlaw chassis were just a way to getting the benefits of the honda geometry while staying on the suzuki.

BM@Ronayers
09-23-2009, 08:04 PM
Man I have not heard that many 2-strokes in one place in a hot minute! It is amazing how much things have progressed throughout the years. Classic!

atv fan 28
09-23-2009, 10:15 PM
was that Hoosier flat track tires Donny Banks was running in that 2nd video?

TrapZ400
09-23-2009, 10:31 PM
Heres another good one. 1986 LA Coliseum Supercross .

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccpPEJicfqU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ccpPEJicfqU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Saul76
09-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Good to see people enjoying these. I hope the next batch are enjoyed as much. :)

hasbeenttduner
09-24-2009, 08:31 AM
There should be a lot more of these out there.The diamond p group did the 3 wheeler class the year before this at carlsbad and there were a lot of mickey's on tv back then.

honda400ex2003
09-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Awesome i have seen some old ones but never that old. the holeshot on this last one is awesome. you can just see the weight of the machine fighting the riders over the jumps and such. steve

headache
09-24-2009, 12:38 PM
Damn thats awesome seeing the old 250r's and lt250's battling it out! Keep the videos coming!

TrapZ400
09-24-2009, 03:18 PM
Check out the website that is in Saul76's sig. www.airfoolers.com theres a lot of good info on it.

Saul76
09-25-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by TrapZ400
Check out the website that is in Saul76's sig. www.airfoolers.com theres a lot of good info on it.

Thanks!

Been thinking of adding a TRX section as an offshoot of the main site sometime. We'll see.

If anything else, have a look at the interviews with some of the old pro's.

Also, just uploaded some more video to you tube - may not be much of an interest as it's even older footage but this time it's pro three wheelers racing.

:D

Saul76
09-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Just wanna add - if anyone has any old school contacts you think I should try and interview or speak to about video - let me know.

I'll pay good for classic video to share with the ATV community.

Much respect you guys!! Remember and respect the vets and pioneers of our sport, hobby & addiction.