PDA

View Full Version : need to make my 80cc shifter cobra a single speed

frank parvin
09-01-2009, 05:06 PM
i just looked at a 80cc cobra and intrested in buying it but it a shifter and i need a single speed to race local. how hard is it to change thanks for any help i can get.

heathmxracing
09-01-2009, 08:57 PM
You would have to switch the engine out with a single speed engine.

frank parvin
09-01-2009, 09:50 PM
80 cc hetrick shifter motor for 80 or 90 cc single speed any takers thanks

rookiewrench
09-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Frank,
If you make the shifter an auto shifter it should be legal to run CRA, at least that is what they told me when I ran my sons cobra. If I made it like the hondas and not a manual shift it would be legal. Is the shifter for Ries??

Ryko racing
09-03-2009, 06:29 AM
We ran the big bore single speed in 90 prod in 2007. It ran ok and was fast but the way our class was set up we ran with auto clutch shifters and were outrun on the top end but for supercross the 75 cc motor rocks.

I believe that the biggest that you can run and have it last is a 75 cc. ( the clutches and slipper will slip if you go any bigger )

Some have tried a stroker to 82 cc but i was told that they got too hot due to the design of the cases, it could not be corrected thus reliability is a big factor.

Hope this helps.

frank parvin
09-05-2009, 10:51 AM
yes for ries just to finish cra seson and then if he likes the quad i will et red of the corba motor and put a crf 150r motor on it for supermini

Ryko racing
09-08-2009, 07:07 AM
i have not gotten very good response when i contact CRA to get a rule clarification on our Cobras.

I am told that we can run our shifter with auot clutch in 90 sr as the Hondas do.

Is this true???

Logan #34's Dad
09-08-2009, 01:47 PM
I'd get it in writing!
Also, If you don't care about points then you can run your shifter. As of right now the classes are "cvt". If more auto or shifters show up I'm sure they would make another class. There just ain't enough of them show up to make a shifter type class.
The ppl running for points are the only ones that care.
Alec Miller has run in CRA on his Cobra and they awarded him the 1st place trophy but not the points. Just do yourself a favor and make a call to whomever and make sure they will allow it.
CRA is very quad friendly.

Hey Frank, You need to speak to Troy Symborski about his 80ish auto engine. Once it was dialed in, No-one could touch it. He even has a stronger engine sitting on the shelf!
I believe Wiley had something to do with these engines.

Ryko racing
09-08-2009, 02:28 PM
Troy sold his quad and motor at Lorettas.
I do have 2 80cc ported wiley motors that are fresh and ready.
( 1 in the box never even heat cycled) ( rebuilt for lorettas as a spare .

These are dependable and fast.

We all run about the same setup with our Cobra motors.

Paul also built 3 Cobra 90 motors with RM 85 TOP ends that are pretty fast. ( horton, szymborski, gennusa)

frank parvin
09-08-2009, 03:54 PM
rocky cra is not cvt only because honda 90s are aloud to run ( trying to get something to gether to run sr.mini quad rest of the year then sell eng, and install a crf 150 motor what u think)

Logan #34's Dad
09-08-2009, 04:08 PM
Typical CRA, the class clearly states 90 cvt, but they change to make one or two happy. EXCEPT for changing to be closer rules to AMA. God forbid!
Anyhow, I think the Cobra chassis is going to be too little and not strong enough for Reis. If you could afford a JB mod that would be better.

Ryko racing
09-09-2009, 06:56 AM
We will make a call to clarify the rules as Troy and myself would like to bring Alex and Ryan out for the remaining races if we can run.

dO THEY RUN A 90 mod for the jb quads??

As far as the Cobra chassis holding up Ryan weighs 115 lbs and has not broken his chassis in over a year. ( Brett Musick has not broken his and Troy has not broken one since they were gussetted)

These things are pretty tough if you do a little homework and set up your suspension correctly. The only dnf we had this season were blown shocks in the beginning of the season and i ws not at Muddy creek and Ryans quad mistakenly got jetted 4 sizes too rich and it fouled out.( we have not had a Cobra engine failure this season)

Who would have thought that my Honda engine would break 3 times and not the Cobra. ( FUNNY THING WHEN YOU TRY PORTING AN ENGINE AND MESS UP. THEY DONT RUN VERY WELL.

I GUESS I WILL LEAVE THE ENGINE BUILDING TO THE EXPERTS.