PDA

View Full Version : ktm buy or not?

CarFanatic
09-01-2009, 04:24 PM
In just reading this forum seems like there are alot of issues with these quads.. I was really considering one, but now I'm not sure.. How much are they going for now?

bferg911
09-01-2009, 10:15 PM
You can get the overstocks for pretty cheap now. Between 6-7000. All in all they are great machines. They have had a few issues but nothing major. I have had mine for over a year now and put alot of hours on it in a every type o terrain available. No problems and definately the best bik,e I have owned by far. Ergonomics, power and comfort are un believeable. You can't go wrong bro.

Big Red Menace
09-03-2009, 06:52 AM
I've got a 450xc that I xc race and a 505sx that I won 5 races on this year in 30+A. Real issues are almost non existent. Durability has been very good. There might be people out there that are breaking this or that, but these were designed to ridden hard and the more agressive people are buying them.

Buy it you'll love it.

XtremeSkier
09-03-2009, 07:48 AM
i've broken ***** on mine but for how much i pound on the damn thing it's reliable as hell

never ridden a more comfortable machine, the handling and brakes really seperate it from the competition

Quadevil
09-03-2009, 05:27 PM
ktm buy or not?

Buy it.

TeryxMudder
09-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Buy a Polaris Outlaw with the KTM engine. Their are awesome deals to be had on them. And also polaris put a lot of thought into the chassis and IMHO it is superior to KTM's. Plus your buying american during these troubled economic times!

Look here for the deal of a life time.

http://www.bentleysmotorcycles.com/coupons.htm

bferg911
09-08-2009, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by TeryxMudder
Buy a Polaris Outlaw with the KTM engine. Their are awesome deals to be had on them. And also polaris put a lot of thought into the chassis and IMHO it is superior to KTM's. Plus your buying american during these troubled economic times!

Look here for the deal of a life time.

http://www.bentleysmotorcycles.com/coupons.htm

The polaris is decent but not in comparison to the KTM. The suspension and chassis in particular is why this is the truth. I have lined up next to a ton of polaris' and it's pretty fun to know that you always have an advantage. Not my opinion but a FACT!!!!

GE4x4
09-08-2009, 03:46 PM
Originally posted by bferg911
The polaris is decent but not in comparison to the KTM. The suspension and chassis in particular is why this is the truth. I have lined up next to a ton of polaris' and it's pretty fun to know that you always have an advantage. Not my opinion but a FACT!!!!

Just wondering what about the chassie and suspension that makes the KTM that much better with the huge price difference??Those Ohlins in stock form are not that great. It isn't untill there built that they shine. But it true with the Outlaw Fox shocks. Stock there allright, but once built, there awesome. I race with a guy on a KTM 525xc. He won the 1st race due to my Hiper breaking, but I won the next 4. My Outlaw has been rock solid, he has a few issues. But both these quads are great, but IMHO I would give the chassie design to the Outlaw.

bmerriman12
09-08-2009, 05:39 PM
alright look....i had a 2007 polaris outlaw 525 IRS before i got my 2008 ktm 450 xc. honestly i would take the ktm over the POS polaris anyday. the outlaw is a great trail quad but just not good enough for racing IMO. the ktm quads are built and ready to go. so IMO go with the ktm buddy. youll LOVE it.

GE4x4
09-08-2009, 05:52 PM
Compare apples to apples. A 07 IRS isn't close to a 08 KTMXC. That's like comparing the 700xx to the 450r. Totally different. I raced the irs last year and a sra this year and the sra handles way better.

bmerriman12
09-08-2009, 05:54 PM
go with the ktm =D

TeryxMudder
09-08-2009, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by bferg911
The polaris is decent but not in comparison to the KTM. The suspension and chassis in particular is why this is the truth. I have lined up next to a ton of polaris' and it's pretty fun to know that you always have an advantage. Not my opinion but a FACT!!!! The suspension and chassis in partcular is why this is truth.

Unpossible!!! The KTM don't have no rake!!! :D

TeryxMudder
09-08-2009, 06:37 PM
So compare a 450 sold axle Polaris to a 450 KTM or a 525s to 525 KTM. Hows that....

bferg911
09-08-2009, 06:51 PM
The suspension and chassis in partcular is why this is truth.

Unpossible!!! The KTM don't have no rake!!! :D

Whats that polaris weigh? All I know is that I smoke em pretty good with next to 0 mods done. I'm a pretty good sized guy so the suspension happens to be right on the money for me. I don't buy **** based on how cheap I can get it either. I buy what I want and I wanted tghe Ktm. When I say smokem I mean IRS and solid axle. If you are looking for a pissing contest Bring your happy *** out to the west coast and get your *** handed to you by some KTM's.

TeryxMudder
09-08-2009, 06:55 PM
bferg911, why so serious?

GE4x4
09-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Well then it's the rider if your smoking 525 solid axle Outlaws. They have the same engine as yours and according to many dynos, put out the same hp. And there only 20lbs heavier. I beat a guy in my class every race, does that mean his KTM stinks? I'm a better racer. Would I be faster if I had a KTM? i don't know. But I do know they way mine is set-up cost less then he paid for his stock. Then when I park mine next to his, there are many simular parts for both. Ever look at the swing arm? Heck many parts are interchangable between the two. There both IMHO very solid quads.

bbrad mulvey
09-08-2009, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
Well then it's the rider if your smoking 525 solid axle Outlaws. They have the same engine as yours and according to many dynos, put out the same hp. And there only 20lbs heavier. I beat a guy in my class every race, does that mean his KTM stinks? I'm a better racer. Would I be faster if I had a KTM? i don't know. But I do know they way mine is set-up cost less then he paid for his stock. Then when I park mine next to his, there are many simular parts for both. Ever look at the swing arm? Heck many parts are interchangable between the two. There both IMHO very solid quads.
Not even close to the same weight bud. KTM IS the lightest ATV on the market, dont be fooled by what you read. Facts are facts. Polaris Technolgy is no more than 56 monkeys sitting in a high school shop class making 3rd world country ATV's. I honestly dont understand how that company stays in business. You cant compare European technology to ours. They will beat us every time.

bferg911
09-08-2009, 07:20 PM
Thats the SH** I'm talking about!!!

TeryxMudder
09-08-2009, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by bbrad mulvey
Not even close to the same weight bud. KTM IS the lightest ATV on the market, dont be fooled by what you read. Facts are facts. Polaris Technolgy is no more than 56 monkeys sitting in a high school shop class making 3rd world country ATV's. I honestly dont understand how that company stays in business. You cant compare European technology to ours. They will beat us every time.

O sweet jesus an honest to god ATV snob! "European technology" he says!:rolleyes:

I bet you stick your pinkie finger out when you drink your tea. LOL:devil:

Big Red Menace
09-08-2009, 07:42 PM
If you go back through the archives, you'll find an amazing amount of recalls for Polaris' starting on fire due to electrical problems. Sorry, don't want any of that trash.

quadscrib
09-08-2009, 07:43 PM
Why dont you guys try to peddle this B.S. over at the Outlaw forum? Youre trying to compare a Taurus to a Camry.... there isnt any. The chinsy half arsed steel used on the Polaris and dont get me started on the fasteners...C R A P. And I wish to God that the U.S. made product was #1 but...NOT.
Come on guys yes the do have the same engines but thats where it ends. My local Polaris shop will sell me an 09' Outlaw for $4500 bucks out the door and Im getting ready to shell out double because in the long run (really right off the git-go) the KTM is BY FAR the better machine.
Oh and the "How come I beat guys on KTMs then" do do....
Last year I bent a shift fork on my YFZ so I borrowed my buddies STOCK 03 z400 and in the last race of the year in he B class I got 3rd out of 17 riders in a 1 1/2 hour harescramble race that was half MX and half XC. The quad had a pipe, renthal handle bars. and kenda 20/18" MX tires...that was it. I was the better rider that day,it wasnt the quad. EVERY other rider was on minimum a stock 450 and up from there.
I guess a better comparison is a Mustang to a Porsche.

TeryxMudder
09-08-2009, 07:46 PM
European technologies

powertechn2
09-08-2009, 07:48 PM
i had wanted to purchase an 08 outlaw, there is still one by me for 5299 otd, but the suspension even in stock form sucked, it was sitting really high, and really really stiff... i did sit on an 09 outlaw, and it was better, but the shocks didnt really offer alot of adjustability, compared to the ohlins, there is no comparison, there just isnt. i dunno how you can mod the 525s shocks, without entirely replacing the whole thing, i would rather be able to adjust here and there first, then if all else fails, send them out.

the air filter on the polaris seems to suck, the irs has a different design, which you can drop a k&n into, but the s just seems chinsy, the 08 i looked at the filter wasnt even installed right, it was dry from the factory, and the little metal tension band that holds it on wasnt even in the ridge, if its that hard for the factory to install it right, and for service to catch upon prepping, then how likely am i to not get it right....? literally you could look right at the cage, and debris could go right in.

every dealer, and i say EVERY POLARIS DEALER tells me that the polaris version makes less power, yes, the dealers themselves say less power, and that i would have to pipe it and jet it and swap an a/f to be same output as a STOCK KTM, then they realize that the K&N is only for the irs and say nevermind...
the ktm has 2 ignition maps, some may not care, but options are nice.

the brakes are wayy better on the ktm, no one will argue that anywhere. the pads do need to be swapped to sintered, but that goes with any brake pads if you do mud.
the levers on the ktm are also adjustable so if you have short fat *** hands or large shaq like hands, you can suit it to you, and it has a better bar from the factory
the 08 polaris has ergonomics that dont seem right, they changed them for 09 (peg placement) then gave it a lil teeny tank, so now on an 09 you need an ims for trails...

in the end i decided that if i were to have bought an 08 or 09 outlaw, i would end up having to put floats on it, then pipe it jet it, so that alone would make up more than the price difference.

on the 09 polaris that i priced out, i ended up looking at about 8200 otd without the shocks, but with the pipe, jet kit, extra air filter, and nerfs...

and the ktm came with the r2r kit, with nerfs, steering stabalizer, extra bumper... and a buncha other stuff that i woulda had to buy for the polaris

i bought the ktm. got it for a hair less than 6400 otd with the r2r kit...

it is a 450, but it also came with a head port/polish job, including some other goodies while they are in the head. and for 750 bucks, i can make it a 540, still be less than the polaris, and be more powerful...

go sit on both of them, ride one if you can, i let a bud ride mine this weekend, and he liked it more than the polaris, and said it seemed to be faster, but opinions are like *******s.

look at the facts, the specs, what you get for the money, and how you like them both then come to your own conclusions.

and polaris isnt really american... the company may be, but they are still using an austrian engine, so no matter what your money isnt all staying here anyways.

bbrad mulvey
09-08-2009, 10:53 PM
O sweet jesus an honest to god ATV snob! "European technology" he says!:rolleyes:

I bet you stick your pinkie finger out when you drink your tea. LOL:devil:

LOL. I have worked my way through ranks. Honda 450r(fully built), Ltr450(fully built), and now my Ktm(stock). And I have never been happier! I have rode PLENTY of Polaris machines. And really the ONLY thing I like that they make is the Razor, and that thing is The BOMB. But all my friends that have them, have had theirs infor there share of warranty.

As far as How I drink my alcohol. .. Bring me the beer because this is getting good ;)

Lets face it, american dont take pride in there work like ANY european country does. Their Quality Control makes ours look like we just punch in a time clock and stand there for 8 hours because the union... Oh wait, thats how it is! Face it man, american best technology is a effin Chevy Corvette and Harley Davidson!

LMAO

Evman
09-08-2009, 11:09 PM
Very true ktm's are the lightest quads on the market the weight ready to ride with 1 gallon of gas is 368 pounds and the stock HP on the ktm 525 is 48 hp and 38 POT. The outlaw is 39 hp and not sure what the torque is cant seem to find it anywhere. U can find all these dynos at Ct racing, or ktmatvhq.com And the outlaw 525 s weighs 391 with 1 gallon of gas. U can find this info at Atv Sport.com under 2008 big bore shootouts. Plus i got my 2009 ktm 525 xc for 7,000 otd plus i got 1,600 dollars of free stuff with it. And they are selling the 08 525 xc around me for as cheap as 6,000 otd and the 450's for even cheaper. For the prices these ktm's are going for def get one over the outlaw jst look around for a couple of hours and u will find a killer deal on one!!

TeryxMudder
09-08-2009, 11:36 PM
AW MAN, You hoity toity KTM guys are just all the same. This reminds me of when I first got my 3hunny KTM. I would hang out at the KTM talk.com motorcycle forums. And those guy would make fun of ATV riders none stop(still do). They would call us funny names like 'Quadtards' and other things. Post videos of ATV riders doing really stupid things on You Tube and laugh and laugh.

I just kept my mouth shut, I didn't want them to know I road a ATV too. Anyway when KTM started making ATV's they all went totaly ape. They could not believe their beloved KTM would jump on the ATV band wagon and start making quads for stupid american quadtards to ride. After all KTM only made off road motorcycles for the most refined, cultured and discerning offroad cyclist. KTM would never make one of those gastly quad things that only a trailer trash neanderthal would ride. I swear I think acouple of them tried to commit suicide when they heard the news.

But mostly they just hate quadtards because they ruin all the good single track...

Anyway my point is weather you a quadtard or the most astute of off road cyclist. The snobbery runs deep in the KTM clan.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=quadtard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab33Q7Wtyv4

:chinese:

bferg911
09-09-2009, 07:15 AM
Suck a nut and lick the dust off my a** as it passes by buddy. Hope you have a splendid day and do drop back in at tea time BI**H.

TeryxMudder
09-09-2009, 11:26 AM
LMAO

LT-R450 131
09-09-2009, 11:41 AM
Hey at least both have ktm motors! So we can laugh at everyone else weenie motors haha jk

But ya I just got approved for a 450sx and my buddy is getting a outlaw525s, we will drag race stock for stock and post a vid if you guys want, all in all both still have a ktm motors so we shouldn't be hating on eachother.

Quadevil
09-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by LT-R450 131
we will drag race stock for stock and post a vid if you guys want

Of course we want! please do it :devil:

LT-R450 131
09-09-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by Quadevil
Of course we want! please do it :devil:

Haha sure thing :D

And hee is getting his today and I'll have mine in a couple days so the vid will be soon

TeryxMudder
09-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Yeah and I'm just joking around guys. Don't take me too seriously.

quad97
09-09-2009, 01:08 PM
I'll tell you what, I have been racing my 525 basically stock for the last two seasons and it has been the most durable machine I have seen bar none. I have replaced the chain/sprockets, brake pads, front wheel bearings, one footpeg bolt, grips, tires, and just rebuilt the top end and shocks after god knows how many hours. The only reason for the rebuild was for a higher comp piston and cam. The stock engine parts looked new still. Aside from replacing a steering stem and one side of a-arms from a really nasty end over end crash in 4th gear, that is pretty darn good. And I pound the snot out of this thing at 250lb racing a Pro-am motocross class. I also use this bike as my practice machine. Not having to fix the thing every week is worth the extra price alone. If I were racing an outlaw i would have had the chassis broke in 10 places within the first year let alone the swingarm.

Can you do the same things with both machines if you are a good rider, maybe. For the same money and for the same time period absolutely not!

The KTM quality is worth whatever the price difference is between the two machines.

Evman
09-09-2009, 02:37 PM
Very true like i said in my last post they are only going between 6-800 dollars more out where i live then the outlaw 525 for that price its only obvious on which one to get jst the ohlins suspension alone is worth like 1,500 more then the outlaws

GE4x4
09-09-2009, 03:23 PM
Show me one post where the Outlaw chassie has had issues or broke? All the pros racing are still running stock swingers with no problem. So I don't know where your getting your info.

GE4x4
09-09-2009, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Evman
Very true like i said in my last post they are only going between 6-800 dollars more out where i live then the outlaw 525 for that price its only obvious on which one to get jst the ohlins suspension alone is worth like 1,500 more then the outlaws

I would to. If you can get a KTM with-in $2000 of a Outlaw, then the KTM would be the one to get. It's the $4000 msrp difference, I would have a hard time doing.:macho

TeryxMudder
09-09-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
I would to. If you can get a KTM with-in $2000 of a Outlaw, then the KTM would be the one to get. It's the $4000 msrp difference, I would have a hard time doing.:macho

It's the $4000 msrp differance

//This.//

Evman
09-09-2009, 11:51 PM
If u live in california then call burts mega mall thats where i got my 09 525xd for 7000 otd. And i know that they got a couple of 08 525 sitting around on there website its red taged right now for 5,999 plus taxes but im sure u can get them to give it to u otd for that price if not close to it!!