PDA

View Full Version : cough or bog right off idle

Chet
09-01-2009, 03:55 PM
well it's been about almost 3 months since I had my 07 400ex running, took it out yesterday to fire it up, it fired right up but seems like there is a bog when I hit the throttle after warm up, even after a 2- hr ride, it did not do this when I ran it last, still have the same jetting since I ran it last, #42 pilot and a 162 MJ with an uni air filter, air box lid off and an HMF slip on, I have a feeling the carb may have gotten gummed up, but can this happen in this short a time, I put some Seafoam in the tank before I went for the 2 hr ride, still did not help, any suggestions before I rip off the carb and see if the low speed circuit is blocked.

Chet

BassHunter0123
09-01-2009, 07:21 PM
is this under a load or just sitting in the garage? it it is just sitting in neutral or barely moving i think it is normal. maybe up the pilot and adjust fuel screw properly. also a 162 seems a but large on the main jet being basically stock. 155 would be where you want to be

dariusld
09-01-2009, 07:37 PM
Is it fine on the top end?

Honda#4
09-01-2009, 09:14 PM
Check the pilot jet maybe thats got some crap in it.

killer400ex
09-01-2009, 10:41 PM
mine does this too, when i first fire it up it sounds soo snappy and mean and after it warms up it seems to loose some of that snap, and when i barely touch the throttle after its warm or hott it will hesitate or hiccup and then revv up

Chet
09-02-2009, 08:26 AM
I took the carb off last evening and cleaned it up, put it back on, drained the tank while I had it off, new fresh gas and still is doing the same thing, me and my buddy both bought the same machines on the same day, have just about the same mods, execpt I put a 40 PJ in his with a 160MJ but he has his air box lid on and mine has 8 -1" holes drilled in it, I am running a #42 PJ with a 162 mj, earlier in the season when we lined them up mine would pull about 1or2 bikes in a drag, now it's just the opposite, if I gun my bike in first or second it will lift the front end, it just don't have it now, put a new plug in it, stumped. maybe I will see if my buddy will let me try his carb, wonder if I mess with my air screw adjustments, if that will get it come to life on the bottom end a bit. it is at 2 turns out.

any suggestions

Chet

aDviSol2y
09-02-2009, 08:42 AM
what is your needle at?

Chet
09-02-2009, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
what is your needle at?

aDviSol2y

to be honest, I never bothered it, still what the factory set it at. something is weird, if I stab the throttle like going 10 mph in second it will bog momentarily, this bike used to jump instantly. when it is in my driveway with the air box lid off, when it does cough I can see it backfiring out of the carb.

Chet,