PDA

View Full Version : help me im stupid

Muddinguy
08-31-2009, 06:15 PM
I got this new motor on my quad a month or so ago.. its a 11:1 440 kit stage 2 cam yadda yadda
anyhow while running the dunes i noticed a small oil leak.. Oh damn guess i need the HD studs everyone talks about.. well i just tore the top end off the motor and one of the LONG bolts from the cam cover pulled the threads out of the jug.. I noticed the oil leak in that corner of the head gasket... Would that stripped thread allow oil to seep out there ??

Or do i still have to spring for head studs ??

i messed with my studs they don't seem loose or wobbly at all !

ALSO !

is there a good write up on replacing the bearings and bushings in the rear end ?? Mine clunks when i rock the quad back and forth and i noticed the axle bearings are shot ! and i know the front bushings are gone..

Thanks and please have patience with me :D

ngates788
08-31-2009, 09:15 PM
I am not sure on the head bolt but for my axle carrier bearings I just used a punch to knock them out. It will take a long time to get the first one loose but then the second one is much easier because you can take the spacer out. What I did though was make a few notches in the spacer so that when I have to replace them again, it makes it a lot easier to knock out the first one.

Muddinguy
08-31-2009, 10:39 PM
I think I'm gonna Heli coil the jug and put the bolt back in.. ( bolt threads arent messed up at all ) with a new top end gasket kit..

tri5ron
08-31-2009, 10:41 PM
yes you SHOULD be running the HD studs at a 440 11:1.

Question - Will it run without the HD studs ???
Answer - Yes

Question - would it eventually strip out and end up costing more if I was to not install the HD studs now ???
Answer - Yes

Question - will I wish later on that I would have listened, and installed the HD studs, BEFORE I stripped them out ???
Answer - Yes

Question - If I was to use the search function, would I find a write-up for the carrier bearing replacement ???
Answer - Yes

but here, I'll do it for you,...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350&highlight=how+to+carrier+bearing

Muddinguy
08-31-2009, 11:30 PM
Originally posted by tri5ron
yes you SHOULD be running the HD studs at a 440 11:1.

Question - Will it run without the HD studs ???
Answer - Yes

Question - would it eventually strip out and end up costing more if I was to not install the HD studs now ???
Answer - Yes

Question - will I wish later on that I would have listened, and installed the HD studs, BEFORE I stripped them out ???
Answer - Yes

Question - If I was to use the search function, would I find a write-up for the carrier bearing replacement ???
Answer - Yes

but here, I'll do it for you,...
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=359350&highlight=how+to+carrier+bearing
So yes on the studs :D

search hasnt been working for me.. keeps freezing up...

hypersnyper6947
09-01-2009, 12:05 AM
tri5ron is right,

but also you should just heli coil the head and that is where it is leaking from. It is SUPER easy to strip out the valve cover bolts. That also goes for the case covers too, and the oil filter cover.

Muddinguy
09-01-2009, 12:33 AM
So.. GT thunder is the "go to" for head studs ??

hypersnyper6947
09-01-2009, 01:01 AM
pretty much

Ryanwolfe911
09-01-2009, 05:58 AM
THe only reason the valve cover bolts ever strip out is because some ****tard didn't torque them to spec when re-installing them.

Ive had to heli-coil about 4 of the 8mm bolt holes in my head, thanks to the previous owner thinking he was a mechanic.

Muddinguy
09-01-2009, 04:29 PM
well i got my Carrier apart and Suprise.. its got an aftermarket Carrier in it.
this is the exact one that is in there

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330356556290&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

everything was caked with mud and water, Can i still put replacement bearings this Carrier ? Says it uses double wide bearings

aDviSol2y
09-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Muddinguy

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330356556290&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

everything was caked with mud and water, Can i still put replacement bearings this Carrier ? Says it uses double wide bearings

Toss that ***** and buy a Lonestar carrier!

Ryanwolfe911
09-01-2009, 04:45 PM

You can just use 2 stock Honda bearings side by side. I actually prefer to do that anyway.

Muddinguy
09-01-2009, 07:39 PM
just ordered a set of double wides off cheabay
and i spent a good hour tonight getting my old bearings out of that carrier..

Exrider434
09-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
tri5ron is right,

but also you should just heli coil the head and that is where it is leaking from. It is SUPER easy to strip out the valve cover bolts. That also goes for the case covers too, and the oil filter cover.

YOu sound like you know from experience, hahaha,

He's right though those small bolts are extremely easy to snap/strip or whatever, it feels like your still tightening and then SNAP! you need a new bolt....

I actually broke the same bolt as you muddinguy, on the cam cover, it leaks on that very corner where the bolt is broken as hell as the head in the same corner. I have yet to replace it but im hoping that a new bolt will cure my problem.

aDviSol2y
09-02-2009, 08:46 AM
just ordered a set of double wides off cheabay
and i spent a good hour tonight getting my old bearings out of that carrier..

Next time put the carrier in the oven. Heat the aluminum up and then they should pop right out. When installing ther new ones, do the same but put the new bearings in the freezer also. Heated up aluminum expands and cold steel shrinks. Get my drift?

Muddinguy
09-02-2009, 10:19 AM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y
Next time put the carrier in the oven. Heat the aluminum up and then they should pop right out. When installing ther new ones, do the same but put the new bearings in the freezer also. Heated up aluminum expands and cold steel shrinks. Get my drift?

Good idea..

I tried putting a little heat to the carrier with a propane torch but ive never had good luck heating aluminum and not ruining it. ill try the oven trick

Muddinguy
09-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by Exrider434
YOu sound like you know from experience, hahaha,

He's right though those small bolts are extremely easy to snap/strip or whatever, it feels like your still tightening and then SNAP! you need a new bolt....

I actually broke the same bolt as you muddinguy, on the cam cover, it leaks on that very corner where the bolt is broken as hell as the head in the same corner. I have yet to replace it but im hoping that a new bolt will cure my problem.
bolt didnt break.. it just pulled the threads out

Exrider434
09-02-2009, 05:56 PM
bolt didnt break.. it just pulled the threads out

same thing, point is there is nothing torquing down on that portion of the gasket, therefore letting it leak oil?

Muddinguy
09-06-2009, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by aDviSol2y

worked great.. put the bearings in the freezer for a couple hours.. then set the carrier in front a heat gun for about 30 min... mother wasnt too fond of me putting my quad parts in her oven..