PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy seat latch and chain slider?

1989trx250r
08-31-2009, 11:53 AM
Hi,

I am getting close to finishing the rebuild of my 89 250R. My chain slider was completely destroyed, so I need a new one. There are a few different choices on ebay, but I would like to know if anyone can recommend a good one to buy. Also, where do you guys get that extra chain guide by the rear sprocket? I also need an aftermarket seat latch. I have a seat in great condition from an 87, and my frame is an 89. I would like to get the OMF seat latch, but should I order the one for the 86-87 because thats the year seat that I have? Will that work on an 89 frame? I tried to email OMF directly a few times on how to purchase the seat latch, but they never email me back!! I guess they have better things to do than sell a seat latch. Does anyone know a dealer or website that sells these?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jason

atvmxr
08-31-2009, 12:01 PM
hmmm Im a little stumped on the seat latch question. I bought a OMF for my 88, but it works just fine on my 86 also. and I dont think the seat pans are any different. so I have no clue why they would offer 2 different models...

Id go with OEM slider. Ive gone through 2 aftermarket ones, they dont hold up as well IMO.

the rear chain guide is off a banshee, usually. Im sure there are aftermarket ones out there

250Renvy
08-31-2009, 12:33 PM
To answer your question about the chain sliders:

I've tried a couple options - there is one on ebay made of hard plastic which is reasonably priced but I didn't like the fit and it wore fairly quickly IMO.

The TM designworks chain slider is similar and works quite well without a lot of wear, but is fairly expensive IMO.

I would like to try the UPP chainslider as it is lighter and can split - I've heard good things but have not used it personally. It also has a complete set that can give you the rear chain guide for aftermarket swingarms (or just order a stock banshee guide as that is what they are).

I have had both seat latches from OMF for an 87 as well as 88. You will need one for an 87 if that is what year your seat pan is because the bolt pattern is different. Both will work fine on either frame, it's the mount that is different.

Another option would be to buy the one from Grizzly1984 on ebay as his are setup for both pans and looks just as good but less expensive than OMF and easier to get.

Hope this helps.

86 Quad R
08-31-2009, 12:42 PM
try THESE (http://www.uppracing.com/item.php?pid=227&cid=50) guys for the chain guides

as for the seat latch.... i think i have one that i removed from my sons bike and replaced with an oem.

1989trx250r
08-31-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks for all of the great info! I will be checking into these options......

Jason