PDA

View Full Version : ATV wont start - Dirty Carb??

capt_sullivan
08-31-2009, 07:30 AM
My 2005 Suzuki Vinson 500cc wont start. I only ride it about once every 8-9 weeks (if that)...so it sits a lot.

I went out to start it on Saturday and it fired right up (like always) using full choke. I let it idle for a minute or so and tried to slowly give it some gas. It immediately died.

I started it back up and let it idle again for a minute or so and gave it a bit of gas and it died.

I started it back up and tried backing the choke off and it died.

It wont start back up again?!!?

I waited until Sunday and the same thing....still wont start.

I unscrewed the drain on the carb bowl and it drained out quite a bit of fuel.

I sprayed some carb cleaner directly into the carb and it starts up and immediately dies.

There is gas in the tank (3/4) and I have tried using ON, RES and PRI.

After attempting to crank it over another 20 times or so (with and without carb cleaner), I checked the carb bowl drain again...this time nothing came out (a couple drips).

It would appear to me that the carb is gunked up somewhere. Maybe the floats are stuck in the UP position? Maybe the jets are clogged?

Maybe unrelated--I found a somewhat long vacuum line (12-16" with L/elbow-bend on the end) coming off the left side of the carb which is detached from the other end (the L-side is disconnected). I have no clue where it goes...but it does have suction while I'm cranking the engine over. The vacuum tube connects to the carb above and to the left of the fuel line (left side of carb).

1. Why did it start on Saturday with full choke then die when I applied the throttle?
2. Why was there a lot of fuel in the carb bowls on Saturday...but nothing is getting there on Sunday?
3. Where does the other end of the vacuum tube go?
4. Anyone know how to fully remove the carb?

Thanks!
Sully

Harv
08-31-2009, 08:54 AM
That may very well be the vaccuum to the petcock, don't know for sure but I'd hazard to say it has vaccuum safety on it. That keeps fuel from coming out after a wreck It will keep fuel from flowing whatsoever!

capt_sullivan
08-31-2009, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Harv
That may very well be the vaccuum to the petcock, don't know for sure but I'd hazard to say it has vaccuum safety on it. That keeps fuel from coming out after a wreck It will keep fuel from flowing whatsoever!

If I remove the fuel line from the petcock in either ON or RES, no fuel comes out. If I put it in PRI, fuel comes out.

That doesnt really answer your question/statement though. I looked at the petcock though....and I saw TWO lines coming off of it. One was the main fuel line and the other looked to be a vacuum line--which is connected also to the carb. I did NOT see an empty connection.

I'll have to take a pic of exactly where this is and upload it.

Sully

Harv
08-31-2009, 09:49 AM
As long as the motor isnt running or cranking, pri is the only place you'll get fuel. The bowl should fill in the pri position. If the other line(probably like a 3/16" is connected to the carb, the line you've found is likely the bowl vent line. It should probably be run up to the point where the air intake is. On most all the vents are routed to that point so that they don't get submerged. If the bowl won't fill in the prime position, then the needle could be stuck in the carb. You might take something and tap the side of the carb gently and see if that helps. You can open the bowl drain while you are trying different things, fuel should fow out of there almost instantly when all is well. 8 or 9 weeks is generally not long enough for fuel to cause a problem, however it is possible that gunk has built up, though unlikely. Also, the bowl vent has to be open for fuel to flow into the carb, make sure a little critter hasn't taken up residence in the rubber hose coming from the carb. If the vent was plugged there should maybe be a littel trickle in the carb, but when you open the prime position on the petcock fuel should run out the drain. the only reasons fuel wont fill the bowl is either the petcock or the needle and seat. When you get it going some seafoam wouldn't be a bad idea and then maybe run fuel stabilizer no more often than you run it.

capt_sullivan
08-31-2009, 10:35 AM
Great info! I will try the PRIME position on the fuel petcock with the bowl drain open and smack the crap out of the carb until fuel comes out. hahaha...

As far as the mysterious vacuum tube goes....you are probably right on that one too. I noticed that the disconnected side of the tube did NOT have bite marks/indentations from a hose clamp. In other words....it has either been disconnected for a long time...or never connected. Or I suppose....it could have been connected, but not held in place by a clamp.

Sully

capt_sullivan
09-02-2009, 07:44 AM
I found some pics of my carb here: several photos (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Suzuki-Vinson-500-F-4x4-03-Carb-Carburetor-100673_W0QQitemZ290342083565QQcmdZViewItemQQimsxZ2 0090822?IMSfp=TL0908221310005r14492)

And here is the vacuum tube/inlet that I have a tube connected to at the carb, but nothing on the other end.

Anyone know what this is and what it should be connected to?

Thanks!
Sully