PDA

View Full Version : Problem.. but not sure what

Syrus
01-11-2003, 08:58 AM
Last night im going over to my girlfriends house on my quad, she doesnt live to far plus it was nice out last night, we got about an extra foot of snow when i started to leave, i got to the end of my trail where for about 200 feet its up a slope. My tires are getting to the bald point in time so im spinning in 3rd gear using about 3/4th throttle, rmps are pretty high, i didnt let offf the gas all the way up. When i got near the top this big popping bang sorta noice happend. a puff of air hit the side of my leg i felt. But the engine didnt stop or die down at all, it kept going fine. At first i thought **** i blew it up but i was still runnig, then i was thinking i dropped an exhust valve. but its got power still.

So when i get to the top where the road is, i look at my pipe where it goes frome the engine in the "U" shape area. It looked like it was glowing Orange. im not sure if it was forsure because im not sure if i was reflection from my plastics and my light on the pipe :S

Any idea what might of happend, everything seems ok but i didnt sound to.. magical. It was like when watter hit something hot and evaporates, that PPPSSS noise but load enough to over hear from my engine and helmut ...

nacs400ex
01-11-2003, 10:09 AM
Well if it was glowing orange i would say it was lean.. but your motor is all stock so i have no idea???:confused: Someone on her should know though.

Craig

Syrus
01-11-2003, 02:01 PM
ya its stock, but what do u mean "Lean" ?

vtwoodsrider
01-11-2003, 05:09 PM
my pipe has done that before...i wouldnt worry riding in the powder is rough on the motor. you can just see the pipe glowing cause it is dark out. i have even had my rancher do it a few times. i am not sure about the popping noise though?????

Leo02400ex
01-12-2003, 06:47 AM
How about.... The pipe was extremely hot, and either a clump of snow fell onto or into it, and inturn created a puff of steam that hit your leg, and produced that steam noise you talked about?

300exryder
01-12-2003, 08:32 AM
im thinking it was just a clump of snow that hit the pipe or head. my header glows at night -- i wouldnt really worry about that. After riding hard, try throwing some snow on the head and header. It usually bounces off and then it will melt if you keep on putting more on.

Im not sure if this is sucha good idea because i once heard that cold water can cause your case or head to crack. Ive never seen this happen and i have crossed many a river in the summer with no ill effects. Anyone know about thsi before i cause someone some real damage?

Syrus
01-12-2003, 10:56 AM
Yes 300exryder it causes the its to expand and contract when it goes from hot to cold quicky, and will crack the head or what ever hot surface you put cold substance on quicky.

Bean
01-12-2003, 11:15 AM
yes that is true, if something is reallly really hot, and is cooled very fast, it will break and crack, for example, we did this in 8th grade, we filled a beaker test tube thing up with this wierd metal hot stuff, and heated it way to hot (this was my group, lol), and we put it under the faucet to cool it off, and it just blew up, it was awesome

300exazzkikr
01-12-2003, 03:39 PM
The headers will glow at night, not a problem that is normal. the popping noise probably came from a back fire from going up the hill. Maybe you were a little low on fuel and hit an air pocket in the line or something. IN otherwords, don't worry about, everything is fine.

Syrus
01-12-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by 300exazzkikr
The headers will glow at night, not a problem that is normal. the popping noise probably came from a back fire from going up the hill. Maybe you were a little low on fuel and hit an air pocket in the line or something. IN otherwords, don't worry about, everything is fine.

No it wasnt a backfire at all and i had a full tank, just filled it up before i left. and i felt air hit the side of my leg, plus it wasnt a popping noise like a backfire, more like a load sizzling noise really hard to explain never heard it before. Well it seems to run fine, so i guess its nothing. :S

jb400exxx
01-12-2003, 07:47 PM
i think some snow or water or something hit your pipe and just made a sizzling sound. it's probly nothing. don't worry about it.