PDA

View Full Version : 08 450 MXR or 08 DS 450. Which one!!!

snowman48
08-30-2009, 10:39 PM
Ok so for starters im new here to this site!!
So my question is im looking for a new quad. I can't make-up my mind which one to get. I've read everything i could find on both, but my mind is still racing. So i was looking for info on issues with engine, frame, etc....
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Oh ya i already own a 2003 Predator 500, and have been very happy!!

GE4x4
08-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Well just look at the forums and see which are having issues. IMHO I would never even think of getting a 08 DS even with the updates. Just to many negative post on the 08's for my taste. The Outlaw has no frame, engine or clutch issues.

450mxr
08-31-2009, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by GE4x4
Well just look at the forums and see which are having issues. IMHO I would never even think of getting a 08 DS even with the updates. Just to many negative post on the 08's for my taste. The Outlaw has no frame, engine or clutch issues.

^ I've seen a lot more problems with the ds's then outlaws. I havnt had my 08 mxr for long but it does the job without any problems yet. If you've had a good experience with your predetor id stick with polaris and go with the outlaw but the final choice is up to you.;)

snowman48
08-31-2009, 06:59 PM
thanks for the help!! Plus ya i have had very little issues with my Predator.
Ya i haven't really heard any issues with the Outlaw, just the 08's plastic will break off when really muddy, and the engine needs to have valves checked every 10-15hrs of riding.

FiveTwentyFive
09-01-2009, 08:07 AM
You will not like the powerband of the DS(no bottom end). You WILL like the powerband of the KTM 450(pulls like all the way thru).

There are good things about the Can Am, though. Such as the suspension design and adjustability, light weight, and Fuel Injection w/large throttlebody. This IS a quality machine(has potential for some serious power [$$])!

Then there's one other thing, some people talk about the plastic on an Outlaw, but I love it. It's wicked looking! I don't have any trouble with it(either working on it or with it breaking). Now two words for the DS...........F***ing Ugly. \

A little more than 2 cents, but you get the idea.

gimp419
09-02-2009, 08:39 AM
Not had a chance to throw a leg over the DS.

But I just got to test a project MXR build for another site and I came away pretty impressed with the Outlaw. It's a great platform if you're building a racer and I'm sure it's just as fun in the woods

snowman48
09-02-2009, 11:22 AM
I drove the DS and was very impressed. Very nimble and fast compared to my Predator and my buddies LTR 450. I still can't find an Outlaw anywhere to ride, so i'm S.O.L on that one!! But i love the look and have been very impressed with my Predator. Plus an 08 just out of the crate for $6600. That dosen't seem to bad????

katch26
09-02-2009, 01:45 PM
an 08 outlaw for 6600? you can def beat that by a couple grand

edit: maybe not in Canada

450mxr
09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by katch26
an 08 outlaw for 6600? you can def beat that by a couple grand

edit: maybe not in Canada
For sure in the states I got my new 08 450 mxr off the show room for 4600 last month. :macho

snowman48
09-08-2009, 11:47 AM
well i bought the outlaw and was very impressed!!! I love this machine!! But it keeps back firing and popping when i let off the throttle??? The plug was a little white so i turned the air/fuel screw out a turn and now works great. but still pops when shes really warm??? The other issue i found is the suspension is a little stiff but that can be changed. So all in all i was very impressed. So was my buddy when i waxed his 08LTR450!!! And mine is stock!!! He has full exhaust, a Mild chip, and air filter!!!

gimp419
09-08-2009, 12:49 PM
The bike I rode was the 09 which is light years ahead of the 08 IMO which I also got to ride last year. But it's the same KTM engine so that's a plus. Hope you enjoy your new Polar Bear :devil:

450mxr
09-08-2009, 02:09 PM
Originally posted by gimp419
The bike I rode was the 09 which is light years ahead of the 08 IMO which I also got to ride last year. But it's the same KTM engine so that's a plus. Hope you enjoy your new Polar Bear :devil:

All they changed is the plastics, Made it one head light,different seat, aluminum heal guards, an aluminum bumper and got rid of 6 pounds don't think that's light years ahead of the 08 But ok ap
nd the 08 looks way better and you save 2000-3000 dollers off the price of an 09.

Congrats on getting the outlaw about the back firing and poping mine back fired once and ya when I decelerate mine pops too when it did it the first time I almost fell over looking around haha.

GE4x4
09-08-2009, 02:55 PM
The popping is most likely a little leak at the header. Mine did it to and I put high temp sealer on it and it stopped.

snowman48
09-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Awesome. that works for me. I'll look at the header tonight and see what i find. Thnaks for all the help guys, greatly appreciated!!!!!