PDA

View Full Version : Installing Extended Brake Lines Help

ouhockeyplayer
08-30-2009, 08:56 PM
I just installed Houser Long Travel a arms on my 400ex and am at a stand still with installing the brake lines. They are from Streamline and both ends of the lines have the same round fitting. How do you attach the end going to the little black box or connecter by the steering column that the two line branch off from. Do you unscrew the fitting?

As a side question I put Elka long travel rec series shocks on also and they feel very soft and dont rebound when compressed. (quad just stays put however far you push it down). Is this normal for aftermarket shocks of this type. I have never had a setup like this before. I always rode stock. The only adjustment on them is pre load I believe.

Thank you for all your help. I am new to this type of mod and could use some advise.

RIDEREDson
08-30-2009, 09:11 PM
They should be two separate brake lines. One runs from master cylinder, on handlebars, to the left caliper and the other goes to the right.

ouhockeyplayer
08-30-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah I have two lines but how do they hook up where they split from the one that runs down the steering stem?

RIDEREDson
08-30-2009, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by ouhockeyplayer
Yeah I have two lines but how do they hook up where they split from the one that runs down the steering stem?

You don't. Like I said, one goes from handlebars, straight to the caliper. Same goes for the other line.

Look at this 450r's for example....

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a261/Ispend100gsonwhiteTs/DSC01980.jpg

04TRX400EX
08-30-2009, 11:03 PM
If the kit is simply two pieces of stainless lines each with an eyelet on each end, like you've said, than the picture above describes how they are to be installed. When I changed to extended brake lines they followed the same pattern as stock, with one piece running from the master cylinder to a "T" junction and then two pieces splitting off, one to each brake caliper.

As for your shocks, did you get the Elka's setup/built specifically for the Houser arms you're using? I have the Rec series Elka's as well, only standard travel, and while they do not feature adjustments besides preload, they should most definitely rebound at least some when you push down. Sounds like they were not valved or sprung properly for your setup.

ouhockeyplayer
08-31-2009, 07:38 AM
Yeah. The shocks were built specifically for the Houser A arms that I purchased and my weight. I understand that these shocks are going to be more plush then stock but they seem really soft and don't rebound when I push down on them. They just stay right at the point that I pushed them down too.

ouhockeyplayer
08-31-2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the visual on the brakes. Makes more sense now. So both lines hook up to the master cylinder on the handlebars and run to either side caliper.

RIDEREDson
08-31-2009, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by ouhockeyplayer
Thanks for the visual on the brakes. Makes more sense now. So both lines hook up to the master cylinder on the handlebars and run to either side caliper.

yes sir. I figured a picture would make more sense to you.

ouhockeyplayer
08-31-2009, 08:01 AM
I always was a visual learner. Just talked to Elka on the shocks and the tech said I should adjust the pre load on the shock to stiffen them up a bit. Apparently the rebound action is greater when the vehicle is in motion then when it is standing still.