PDA

View Full Version : what do I need to adjust my valve lash?

craigmacphee
08-30-2009, 08:21 PM
Just wondering if anyone could help me with adjusting my valve lash on my 09 ds450 x MX? I purchased a repair manual from my dealer (Great Lakes Powersports in Flint, MI) on April 15th (paid in full) but it has not arrived yet. Everytime I call they say its still on backorder. So....does anyone have anything they can download for me that will give me valve lash adjustment information? Also, do I need to buy a shim kit? My buddy told me I would need one. Any part numbers?

Thanks in advance for any help, Craig

lynxmann
08-31-2009, 01:37 AM
To check the clearance lock the crankshaft at TDC. Clearance on exhaust is 0,22-0,30mm intake is 0,11-0,19mm

And yes you need a shim kit to adjust the valves.

snowman48
08-31-2009, 11:46 AM
how often do you have to check valve clearence on the DS?? is it a high maintenance motor??

lynxmann
08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
The service manual calls for valve clearance inspection and if needed adjustment every 100 hours.

snowman48
08-31-2009, 06:44 PM
wow thats it!! thats pretty good!

ml450r
08-31-2009, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by lynxmann
The service manual calls for valve clearance inspection and if needed adjustment every 100 hours.

That's funny, my 2004 honda that I have raced since I got it(bought new), has 92 hours on it. I have went through 3 cranks 4 pistons and 3 timing chains, no failures, just replacing parts before they go bad.

andiboy123
09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by ml450r
That's funny, my 2004 honda that I have raced since I got it(bought new), has 92 hours on it. I have went through 3 cranks 4 pistons and 3 timing chains, no failures, just replacing parts before they go bad.
hey merril do you stil have the a arms?

ds450xracer
11-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Question how do you find top dead center on the 08 ds 450

ds450xracer
11-26-2009, 07:08 PM
To check the clearance lock the crankshaft at TDC. Clearance on exhaust is 0,22-0,30mm intake is 0,11-0,19mm

And yes you need a shim kit to adjust the valves.

How do you find top dead center on the 08 ds 450

TNT
11-27-2009, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by ml450r

3 cranks are you serous? Having to replace one every 30 hours or less to be safe? Funny indeed! Maybe I should take back everything I said about the HON being more reliable than the YAM. We bought an 04 and 05 YAM, in the past 6 years and many, many more hours than 94 never had to replace a crank. I'd say thats a major issue and having to adjust valves little more often minor.

Heard these HON cranks had issues but did know that bad. Can't figure out whats worse HON crank or Suk 3rd gear. Actually 09-2010 CAA is looking pretty good!

Just think in the next 100 hours Craig will have to adjusted his valves and you put in 3-4 cranks, agree funny! maybe you should of kept the CAA.......Eh! :D

TNT
11-27-2009, 07:37 AM
I purchased a repair manual from my dealer (Great Lakes Powersports in Flint, MI) on April 15th (paid in full) but it has not arrived yet. Everytime I call they say its still on backorder. Craig

I just ordered a manual last week and got it in 3 days. Your dealer FOS :D

I told you this before Craig, cancel the order call Marie World, Wichita, KS 316-265-2628. You'll have by Thursday.

BCS Performance
11-27-2009, 09:55 AM
We have two new manuals in stock here at the shop.

ZX11
11-27-2009, 05:14 PM
I thought the same about his dealer since I got my manual two weeks ago. However, he posted this back in August.

Long backorder times sounds reasonable since we are talking about a company that cannot source 6mx16 hex bolts for the flywheel recall. I have waited two months for my motor. They are still on back order. They have no business building ATV's if they can't get simple bolts that home depot carries. Maybe that is why they used hilocs on the frame.

The Can am customer service number said that I needed to call my dealer. I told the lady that she evidently never dealt with the crappy service Can am dealers provide. The local dealer wants to keep my DS450 for his use while the bolts are on backorder. That would have given him a DS450 to play with or whatever else he needs it for, for two months so far. I had to order them from a dealer out of state since my dealer wouldn't order them until I gave him my ATV. I am trying to control my instinct to be a smartass as I get older, so I didn't show the local dealer which cheeks to kiss.

warr72
11-27-2009, 07:03 PM
This is why I got away from Honda as their service and warranty are crap. Luckily the Can-Am dealer came and talked to me and offered me a deal I couldn't refuse. Now I will keep beating up their team up, but this time on a Can-Am. :macho

TNT
11-28-2009, 06:45 AM
Originally posted by ZX11
I thought the same about his dealer since I got my manual two weeks ago. However, he posted this back in August.

Long backorder times sounds reasonable since we are talking about a company that cannot source 6mx16 hex bolts for the flywheel recall. I have waited two months for my motor. They are still on back order. They have no business building ATV's if they can't get simple bolts that home depot carries. Maybe that is why they used hilocs on the frame.

The Can am customer service number said that I needed to call my dealer. I told the lady that she evidently never dealt with the crappy service Can am dealers provide. The local dealer wants to keep my DS450 for his use while the bolts are on backorder. That would have given him a DS450 to play with or whatever else he needs it for, for two months so far. I had to order them from a dealer out of state since my dealer wouldn't order them until I gave him my ATV. I am trying to control my instinct to be a smartass as I get older, so I didn't show the local dealer which cheeks to kiss.

He did post that back in Aug I thought it was a new thread, sorry must of been late. Between BCS and our dealer we have never had a problem getting parts. In our town we got some terrible service, some good, none for racing that I trust a dealership to. We do most on our own except when it comes to bottom end we aren't tooled for nor have the experience. I know some are in warrantee, but me personally when it comes to racing most dealerships don't have the knowledge. Id forget the warantee and find a good mechanic as a racer, one that knows ATV's if possible. The service manual is good too. When you go racing part of the battle is how much you know about your quad.

florentino
11-28-2009, 02:59 PM

100 hrs means nothing. its the way you ride your quad or you you race mx i say one season 20hrs some guys will never break any thing ever on any quads and some will total quads in one day.

florentino
11-28-2009, 03:02 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TNT
[B]3 cranks are you serous? Having to replace one every 30 hours or less to be safe? Funny indeed! Maybe I should take back everything I said about the HON being more reliable than the YAM. We bought an 04 and 05 YAM, in the past 6 years and many, many more hours than 94 never had to replace a crank. I'd say thats a major issue and having to adjust valves little more often minor.

Heard these HON cranks had issues but did know that bad. Can't figure out whats worse HON crank or Suk 3rd gear. Actually 09-2010 CAA is looking pretty good!

its not the honda crank that go bad its the bearings.

chevyvortech
11-30-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by ZX11

My dealer tried to pull the fly wheel backorder bs on me and after some choice words and after i threatend to call the local canam rep they magically got some flown out of Quebec direct form canam