PDA

View Full Version : handlebar dash, bend, clutch and grips

Ryan'07400ex
08-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey guys I was wondering if you could help me out with my handlebar setup.
I'm looking to get Renthal handlebars I think with maybe a cr high bend or carmichael bend (not a big fan of two colored bars though just want solid black)
I want to get a dash or possibly make if you could tell me what I would need. I know rox has one but i'd also like a extra hole for my fan toggle switch but not sure the rox has one. Anyone know of another? If not where are rox dashes sold beside the rox website?
I think I'll get the msr clutch and perch for 20 bucks.
Then grips as well(either odi or pillow tops) I couldn't use my stock could I?

I think i'll get all this stuff unless you guys see something to change for the better

I flipped my atv a while ago and and just getting around to new unbent bars

Ryan'07400ex
08-30-2009, 07:56 PM
here's my stock "dash" now want to keep it all near this area, wouldn't want to drill four holes in platic.

exrider12
08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
I had fat bars and I put my neutral and overheat light in my bar pad. Just took scissors and put them through the foam and twisted around to make the holes ibg enough.

Ba9801
08-30-2009, 08:51 PM
The dashes are on special on the Rox site $29.95, I think I am going to order one as well.

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=260

RIDEREDson
08-31-2009, 07:56 AM
You could use your stock grips if you wanted. But I would go ahead and fork out 10 bucks and get some new ones.

Jessem24
08-31-2009, 09:20 AM
heres some pics of my setup. there standard renthal 7/8 bars w/crossbar. there 60 bucks and havnt let me down one bit

as far as a relocation for lights, you can either cut the wires on the neutral and reverse lights and ca them tucked below the hood or you can make a metal braket, drill 2 holes that line up with the bolts on the bar clamps and bolt it to the clamps, then go about drilling holes for key and lights.

Ryan'07400ex
08-31-2009, 01:57 PM
Thanks guys so im looking at
Renthal 7/8: $65.00
Odi grips: $20.00
Rox Dash: $30.00
Clutch: $20.00-30.00

I may end up just fabbing up my own with a piece of aluminum to hold my lights key and switch cause I really dont wanna have to rewire my switch to reach a good spot in plastic.
For the odi grips I don't need glue correct?

Does cr bend sound good? I'm 5' 8"

mcwilly
08-31-2009, 02:29 PM
I just went through this with mine over the weekend. Though different things were bent on mine this time, I've been where you are now. I went ahead and got the Rox dash at that time along w/ Pro Taper bars. Houser has a dash as well, but I'm not sure if there's and extra hole for your toggle switch. Did your steering stem not bend? Mine bent from an easy roll over (me) and I replaced it with an OEM stem only to have it bend again from another easy roll over (my brother). I went with the houser stem and anti-vive clamps and it held up after the most recent (heavy) crash....same w/ the Pro Taper bars.
You may want to look at RockyMountain as well. They have a MSR clutch and brake lever combo for $25. I just put those on yesterday.
You could use your stock grips, but I'd suggest just getting new ones as metioned before.
There's some pics on here somewhere of my setup (maybe find it with a 'dash' search)

EDIT: Found the thread w/ pics of my setup. Looks like there is already a hole between the lights....your toggle may fit there...or it looks like there's enough room to drill it out a bit bigger if needed.
dash link (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349910&perpage=13&highlight=dash%20panel&pagenumber=1)

Ryan'07400ex
08-31-2009, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by mcwilly
I just went through this with mine over the weekend. Though different things were bent on mine this time, I've been where you are now. I went ahead and got the Rox dash at that time along w/ Pro Taper bars. Houser has a dash as well, but I'm not sure if there's and extra hole for your toggle switch. Did your steering stem not bend? Mine bent from an easy roll over (me) and I replaced it with an OEM stem only to have it bend again from another easy roll over (my brother). I went with the houser stem and anti-vive clamps and it held up after the most recent (heavy) crash....same w/ the Pro Taper bars.
You may want to look at RockyMountain as well. They have a MSR clutch and brake lever combo for $25. I just put those on yesterday.
You could use your stock grips, but I'd suggest just getting new ones as metioned before.
There's some pics on here somewhere of my setup (maybe find it with a 'dash' search)

EDIT: Found the thread w/ pics of my setup. Looks like there is already a hole between the lights....your toggle may fit there...or it looks like there's enough room to drill it out a bit bigger if needed.
dash link (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349910&perpage=13&highlight=dash%20panel&pagenumber=1)

Thanks that one helped alot but im still not sure if that center hole is big enough. Maybe I could dril out the "O" in rox and put it there but that may be to big haha
I want black handlebars (Rentahl- don't want my friend to think I am trying to beat him to pro taper) but the xr and cr bend at rmatv are titanium and silver. I want about the same height as stock. Titanium might look okay but the site kicked me out once I got 6 items in my cart cause of servicing site so gotta do it all again

I don't know about my stem being bent I guess i'll find out when I take the handlebars off.

Jessem24
08-31-2009, 06:50 PM
i just put odi grips on. correct no glue required and they DONT slip in any way shape or form :o

i had to move my thumb throttal down on the bars by 1/4 inch though, grips are long.

and no ryan, the baja rims will be in silver. i hear the black chips when flying through berms and such

Ryan'07400ex
08-31-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Jessem24
i just put odi grips on. correct no glue required and they DONT slip in any way shape or form :o

i had to move my thumb throttal down on the bars by 1/4 inch though, grips are long.

and no ryan, the baja rims will be in silver. i hear the black chips when flying through berms and such

O well hopefully the bars I get will be a bit wider anyway

Thats weird that it would chip, I may not get any new rims my left rear is only a bit bent i think so its just funky on the road so far haha

I guess ima get titanium cr bend rox dash primary drive 15 tooth msr clutch and odi x treme grips and maybe a pro armor kill switch

Jessem24
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
i got the pro armor kill too, not hard to instal at all. i got the ruffian odi grips and there awsome!

ya so i heard they chip. you know though, some people just speak BS for no reason

that rox dash is nice, i might ditch that ga peice of aluminum i have now for that. looks better than my hack job :devil:

Ryan'07400ex
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
I just realized rox's dash isnt on rockymt so I may just forget about it haha. I thought i saw it on there ... guess not

Jessem24
08-31-2009, 08:21 PM
just get it from there website. they got one for the 450r/400ex 29.99

http://www.roxspeedfx.com/cgi-bin/cart/showitems.cgi?subcat_id=260

Lonestar_R
08-31-2009, 09:50 PM
I have a pair of Tag T2 bars for sale that are CR Hi Bend and a trail tech clamp for sale I will do for 70 shipped. Also the bars have grips on them. I also have a nice homemade dash that was on my stepsons 300EX that you could make work on the 400EX. everything is like new.

Here is a pic of the bars and clamp

spearman_929
08-31-2009, 11:26 PM
i fabbed my own dash out of an old civic center console then put carbon fiber wrap on it it looks good and has held up well . sorry i dont have any good pics of it but get creative

hypersnyper6947
09-01-2009, 01:06 AM
No dash for me, i like stuff to look real clean

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06779.jpg

Jessem24
09-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
No dash for me, i like stuff to look real clean

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/DSC06779.jpg

so where is your key, and dummy lights?

i know you could have cut and caped the lights but the key?

but dude, that looks sick.much better than your old ape hangers lol

i just put those race cuts on mine too

you can also see my hack job dash in this pic

Jessem24
09-01-2009, 07:34 AM

Jessem24
09-01-2009, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
I have a pair of Tag T2 bars for sale that are CR Hi Bend and a trail tech clamp for sale I will do for 70 shipped. Also the bars have grips on them. I also have a nice homemade dash that was on my stepsons 300EX that you could make work on the 400EX. everything is like new.

Here is a pic of the bars and clamp

Ryan i would consider lonestar's bars and clamps. they look great :eek2:

hypersnyper6947
09-01-2009, 09:27 AM
so where is your key, and dummy lights?

i know you could have cut and caped the lights but the key?

but dude, that looks sick.much better than your old ape hangers lol

i just put those race cuts on mine too

you can also see my hack job dash in this pic

no key or lights just a dirtbike kill switch for a starter and a teather to kill it

ur bars r lookin good too.

Jessem24
09-01-2009, 10:02 AM
no key or lights just a dirtbike kill switch for a starter and a teather to kill it

ur bars r lookin good too.

how did you get rid of the key? i want mine to look a bit cleaner than it is now

so does that mean that all you gotta do is hit the starter and it cranks over, no turnin key on?

Ryan'07400ex
09-01-2009, 03:03 PM
Ryan i would consider lonestar's bars and clamps. they look great :eek2:

bars? u mean stem?

about t2's i'll pass wanna buy new and exactly wat i want

hypersnyper6947
09-01-2009, 09:42 PM
how did you get rid of the key? i want mine to look a bit cleaner than it is now

so does that mean that all you gotta do is hit the starter and it cranks over, no turnin key on?

yup thats exactly how it works

Ryan'07400ex
09-02-2009, 02:22 PM
Just thought I'd show you what I got and how good a deal you can find on RMATV, all thats left is a dash which is 30 dollars from rox or maybe i'll just make one myself.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Renthal Aluminum Handlebar CR Bend Titanium 1059960059 $64.99 1 $64.99
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Factory Effex Grip Donuts Honda 1046040001 $3.99 1 $3.99
Odi ATV Lock-On Grips - X-Treme Graphite/Grey 1240730001 $18.99 1 $18.99
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever 1119430001 $29.99 1 $29.99
Primary Drive Front Sprocket 15 Tooth - 2007 Honda TRX 400EX 1021470092 $8.99 1 $8.99
Pro Armor Pro Series ATV Tether Kill Switch - 2007 Honda TRX 400EX 1093900001 $29.99 1 $29.99

Subtotal:
Tax: 0
Shipping: Free! 3-day air
Disposal: 0
Gift Wrapping: 0
Total: 156.94
Gift Card: 0
Cash Rewards: -20
Total Due: $136.94
:)

Ryan'07400ex
09-03-2009, 02:47 PM
I got all of it on there except the kill switch because I haven't had time to try and figure it out.

It feels alot different than stock but im starting to like it the more I ride.

However I don't remember my clutch and brake lever tilted up so much should I move my handguards down or put the handguard mounts on top instead of bottom?

Also I am think my 15t sprocket is making the center of the chain hit the case savor :( Does that usually happen?

Ryan'07400ex
09-12-2009, 02:57 PM
pic
I'm wondering where to put my fan switch now to. rite now its just hanging there

Ryan'07400ex
09-12-2009, 03:00 PM
This shows the height of my handguards

bigd's ex
09-12-2009, 03:21 PM
Ryan, this might help you on wiring your killswitch. http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=387844

As for your fan switch, do you have enough room up by the key to drill a hole for it ? Or maybe you can drill a hole underneath your reverse switch on the fender. I mounted all of my stuff on the left fender after I put on my new soft bars. Worked out great so far. Good luck

born2ride14
09-12-2009, 03:45 PM
will it fit in the hole between the lights?

Ryan'07400ex
09-13-2009, 11:47 AM
Originally posted by 300maniac
will it fit in the hole between the lights?

nope to small so may drill it bigger but im scared it will make it look hacked up. I may try under the reverse knob since it wont make a difference when taking plastic off.

Ryan'07400ex
09-18-2009, 04:09 PM
Here it is all finished

only thing is my toggle isn't "secured" but its in an okay place

On my dash the whole key modeual comes out of its hole, is that normal or am I missing something?

Sorry for the bad pic

hypersnyper6947
09-19-2009, 10:46 PM
this is where i put my toggle,
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/exriders/IM000575.jpg

Ryan'07400ex
09-20-2009, 10:40 AM
this is where i put my toggle,
http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i276/aclasson86/exriders/IM000575.jpg

Yea I was thinking bout doing that but I already have it wired up near the bars so it would take a bit to re-do.

However if it is secure and a good place in your opinon it may be worth it cause where its at now keeps pressure on my key and pushes it out of the dash :eek:

bigd's ex
09-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by Ryan'07400ex
Yea I was thinking bout doing that but I already have it wired up near the bars so it would take a bit to re-do.

However if it is secure and a good place in your opinon it may be worth it cause where its at now keeps pressure on my key and pushes it out of the dash :eek:

Ryan,

You said that your key keeps poppin out of it's hole in the dash. Did you push it in far enough for the clips underneath to latch onto the dash ? You should have 2 tabs on the keys housing that snap over the dash to hold it in place. It might be that the metal your dash is made of is to thick, which will not allow it to snap in place. If this is the case, mark where the tabs will go through the dash & file them down thin enough so it will snap over it. Also you might just have to spread the tabs out alittle so they will catch. Be careful not to spread them to far, they break easily. If none of the above works you can put you key in the dash & put a couple of tie straps around it on the underneath side ( tight ) & that will keep it from coming out. Can you tell I've been thru this ? lol

Hope this helps.

Ryan'07400ex
09-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by bigd's ex
Ryan,

You said that your key keeps poppin out of it's hole in the dash. Did you push it in far enough for the clips underneath to latch onto the dash ? You should have 2 tabs on the keys housing that snap over the dash to hold it in place. It might be that the metal your dash is made of is to thick, which will not allow it to snap in place. If this is the case, mark where the tabs will go through the dash & file them down thin enough so it will snap over it. Also you might just have to spread the tabs out alittle so they will catch. Be careful not to spread them to far, they break easily. If none of the above works you can put you key in the dash & put a couple of tie straps around it on the underneath side ( tight ) & that will keep it from coming out. Can you tell I've been thru this ? lol

Hope this helps.

It's a rox dash, im sure im missing something just haven't tried to figure it out.