PDA

View Full Version : FTZ Powervalve Cylinders

IcutMetl
08-30-2009, 08:12 AM
I've spent the last few hours dreaming again. Comparing big-bore nikasiled powervalve cylinders from Duncan, LRD, and FTZ.

All of them seem to be expensive (duh), but FTZ seems to have the rap of a drag-duner motor builder. Is that just an unfortunate stigma, or is that really true...seems like any reputable shop could build/port any motor the way you wanted it done, and they appear to be a quality product. LRD only offers the 300cc in the nikasil, I'm sure because it's the NIKS cylinder- I know Duncan makes their own, but what about FTZ...they have a 370 nikasil stroker powervalve motor, and I'm sure you could build a 350 on the stock stroke crank. FTZ builds some sweet looking in-frame pipes, but they look huge and appear they'd get damaged in the woods easily. I really like my FMF Fatty, but would probably go with a TRX-5 for a well built motor. I'm hooked on having a nikasil/powervalve motor combination.

What I envision doing is buying seperate cases or another clean donor motor and modding the cases, a rebuilt/new crank, yukon gears, h/d clutch setup, bearings... a little bit at a time, then springing for the top end and putting it all together.

Maybe this winter I'll be able to shake the money tree a bit harder.....

pdxbigfoot
08-30-2009, 01:07 PM
Getting anything from LRD. Their site is very outdated. The magic behind their engines has left and started his own shop, Led Performance. Do a Google search

machwon
08-30-2009, 08:19 PM
I tried to buy a micro sprint pipe from them earlier this spring and their site was outdated and thus they had raised their prices. If I rememeber correctly their Pilot cylinder 250R motor was listed at $2500 which most people sell them for $3500. I think the pv motors are expensive especially if you want to go fast in a straight line or on a two track road. They were the bomb in the day before 450 mx 4-pokes with 40 ft-lbs of tq. Hope my $0.02 helps.

mxduner
08-30-2009, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by pdxbigfoot
Getting anything from LRD. Their site is very outdated. The magic behind their engines has left and started his own shop, Led Performance. Do a Google search exactly. arlen has started his own business led performance. idk but i kinda gathered that they had a falling out of some kind, so i won't recommend lrd at least for 2 strokes.

If you want the nikasil in big bore, duncan biulds like a 340ish cc nik bored and powervalved top end. never heard a bad thing about them. Or it is my understanding you can nik any cylinder. correct me if i am wrong, then you can go through who you like. If i remember, neil built them before.

tt racer
08-30-2009, 10:56 PM
The ftz motor is a duner flattrack motor. Its very fast, go with ledperformance if you want an all round motor he can build you anything you need. The ftz motor super fast have had two of their motors and am still running their pipe.