PDA

View Full Version : apex 100 conversion

atvdaddy
08-30-2009, 01:42 AM
I was wondering if anyone out there has ever converted one of these quads over to a japanese 85cc shifter quad. Im considering doing this for my oldest and need a little advice on swingarm engine combinations. I was considering scraping this quad for a typhoon so the conversion would be simpler but the front end geometry is so much better on this one that I would like to use it.
I happen to have a swingarm off a 88 quadracer laying around and I was thinking of using it if I could.

08-30-2009, 07:42 AM
You just turn the swing arm180 degrees and weld it back about an inch from your pivot point on the swing arm. Contact Brad Loomis as hes an expert at these minis in every direction you take. Hes a master of the minis. His name on the forms is BradLommis Hope this helps.

LT80
08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
The frame will not last. Just too much abuse with a shifter motor.
Most use a LT230 or a blaster chassis.

atvdaddy
08-30-2009, 02:02 PM
thanks both of you, Ill definatally get in touch with your guru and see if he can give me some more details as im not handy with a welder and ill have to have someone else do the actuall fabricating for me. by the way I live in Iowa, does anyone know a fabricater in my area that would have atv/motorcycle experience.
lt 80 I see what your saying but Im building this for my now 10 year old daughter ( only weighs about 80 lbs) and although the build is not going to be for a couple of years im not sure she will be big enough to muscle around a blaster, also when she outgrows the apex she has 3 younger siblings right behind her.
It probably would have helped if I had let you know that she doesnt race either (although she could, shes very competative once she's riding but timid about a real race) its just about learning a clutch and having a apropriate size/powered machine for her to continue progressing. I keep hoping one of my kids will want to race, its good to have dreams.... anyway thanks again for your advice and if anyone else has some please post.

born2ride14
08-30-2009, 05:37 PM
The frame will hold up just fine as long as you know how to gusset a frame CORRECTLY and having SUPENSION TUNED CORRECTLY. As far as swingarms go use the stock square tubed swing arm and mount it upside down, then cut it in half behind the rear shock mount now you are going to drill some holes in it, then find a peice of square stock that fits inside of it good, now flip the the peice with the carrier mounts upside down and reweld it with the peice of square stock in side and then weld in the holes the you drilled.
i hope you understand of that LOL

Thats the best way to do it if you want to use your stock swing arm, most people build there own and use a 300ex carrier and axle, building a swing arm is not that complicated.

I hope this information helps you!