PDA

View Full Version : Engine build want info on builders from customers

brandonpeake
08-29-2009, 11:03 PM
Ive decided to get some engine work done on 450, it stock for the most part as the engine goes, it has the carb jetted, open air box, slip on pipe.
I just got my suspension done and felt it was higher on the list to get finished before the engine.
I was debating between baldwin, sparks , moto-xperts, gt thunder ( but i havent gotten to speak to laz yet ) and a guy who did bithell's engines when he was still on a honda his name is kurt the last name escapes me.
It also seems alot of people run the hrc cam with the built motors.
opinions welcome

BlaineKaiser450
08-30-2009, 10:15 AM
id check out DRG too. ive heard lots of good about him

dobber21
08-30-2009, 10:22 AM
where abouts are u located. i no a guy that used to be a mechanic for Janssen racing and now he is on his own and my buddy got his 400ex motor built there, and i no another guy that got motor work on his LTR and they both rip he does a damn good job. he is located in wisconsin around the kaukana area

Scro
08-30-2009, 10:57 AM
Check out David Crane at DC Cycle and Racing (Red Bay, AL). He's probably within driving distance of you, and really knows how open up a head. He will be alot cheaper and will give better gains than some of the guy's you listed. He's doing all of Ryan Lane's heads this year.

chad502ex
08-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Originally posted by BlaineKaiser450
id check out DRG too. ive heard lots of good about him
;) thanks!

ALAMX37
08-31-2009, 08:15 AM
I owned a Baldwin built TRX. They built the motor - oversize valves for $1200. It ripped. I have owned a quite a few machines with a built motor and this one in particular was quite a beast. It had enormous power from the crack of the throttle all the way to the rev limiter. As said above though, there are a ton of smaller shops that can get you great performance for a lower price.

250x_kyle
08-31-2009, 07:53 PM
hetrick racing builds a mean motor

lonnie1977
09-02-2009, 01:45 PM
I run a venom 480 Piston 14.25-1 and the whole top end is Sparks. His top of the line head, MX cam, Bigbore exhaust and 41mm FCR carb.

Entered my first race last weekend and it hauls for the hole shot. Dynoed at 55 hp and 38 TQ. Huge midrange with decent top end. Completely happy with the build and beating on it now since May of 08 with the oil changed after every ride and the filter changed every 2 rides. I did lose the clutch I put in it at the time of the build. Bottom end is stock with stock gearing. I bought the parts and put it together my self.

DEVINF450R
09-02-2009, 06:54 PM
The most power I have ever felt out of a Honda has come from a guy named Joe Wolters of Titan Motorworks.... Best bang for your buck and he will give you the motor you want. He builds mainly National MX motors but can build TT and GNCC style motors as well. its worth your time to just call and talk to him. You WILL be impressed

HoleshotR15
09-02-2009, 10:27 PM
I have never read anything bad about Moto Xperts, I also hear that ATP does great work. I had my 05 450r motor done by BCS and I will tell you I WILL NOT GO BACK. I spent almost 2800 there, Valves were ticking bad, Pulled the head off, and come to find a COMPLETELY Stock head. He charged me for new oversized valves, and an few other things that were not there. Was charged for a WEB 934 cam, was not there, was the HRC cam that was in the motor when i brought it to him. Sloppy job must have dropped my gas tank as well b/c it had a huge gash in it when I picked the quad up. Unless he switched that out too ;)
Before I tore the motor down, sent them a resume for a sponsorship, I had gotten accepted, On the form it said choose you color of free graphics kit. I chose black, They called me up 3 months later and wanted to charge me 100 for a red and purple graphics kit. I pleasantly said no thank you just send me some stickers ill put them on my quad. Then was told my sponsorship was terminated bc i would not run there ugly graphics. Some company they turned out to be. Stay away.

Dave400ex
09-03-2009, 12:00 PM
What are you wanting to do? Just doing a cam with porting and keeping the stock piston is a good setup. Moto-Xperts does a great job!

MR.BIG
09-04-2009, 07:32 AM
DRG talk to chad he knows his hondas and builds awesome motors that make big power yet retain reliability!

Britboy
09-04-2009, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by brandonpeake
Ive decided to get some engine work done on 450, it stock for the most part as the engine goes, it has the carb jetted, open air box, slip on pipe.
I just got my suspension done and felt it was higher on the list to get finished before the engine.
I was debating between baldwin, sparks , moto-xperts, gt thunder ( but i havent gotten to speak to laz yet ) and a guy who did bithell's engines when he was still on a honda his name is kurt the last name escapes me.
It also seems alot of people run the hrc cam with the built motors.
opinions welcome

I'm surprised you have money to get work done on a motor when you still owe several people money!!!!!!!!

Scro
09-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by Britboy
I'm surprised you have money to get work done on a motor when you still owe several people money!!!!!!!!

Damn, that mess still isn't straightened out???:eek2:

gncc335
09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
dude. What gives deadbeat.

You might want to brush up on the laws.

Internet Fraud Complaint Center

http://www.ic3.gov/

The IFCC is an agency of the FBI, working with the National White Coller Crime Center. Once you file a complaint with them, online, they review and evaluate each complaint. They refer your complaint to the proper law enforcement agencies which have jurisdiction over your complaint. They do not gaurantee that your complaint will be assigned to an investigator, but the more people who file a complaint about a specific individual or company, the greater chance the IFCC will promote the level of attention given to the investigation of your claim.

Bureau of Consumer Protection's Consumer Complaint Form.

http://www.ftc.gov

You can file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission using their online complaint form or by phone (866-382-4357). You can also file by mail (Consumer Response Center, Federal Trade Commission, 600 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington, DC 20580).

United States Postal Service

If you sent your payment through the mail, you can file a complaint with the Postal Inspector's Office. Failure to ship merchandise is mail fraud and is a federal offense. Mail fraud forms can be acquired by calling 800-275-8777. The post office will send you a form and a postage-free envelope to return it in. After you file a fraud complaint, the Postal Service will contact the seller and inform them that they are under investigation.

Find contact information for your local Postal Inspector's Office: http://www.usps.gov/ncsc/locators/find-is.html

National Fraud Information Center

http://www.fraud.org/internet/intinfo.htm

Internet Fraud Watch, National Fraud Information Center accepts reports of suspected fraud via a toll-free 800 number and an online complaint form. The IFC works with law enforcement and maintans a national database with the Federal Trade Commission. If you have any questions, they encourage you to use their toll-free number to talk with their counselers and advisors.

Ruf Racing
09-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Wow, this post went a different direction. So much for trying
to hide Dude!:huh

raw67
09-08-2009, 04:20 PM
Motox-perts all the way!!! Superb customer services and flawless motor work. I have an 05 with Baldwin XC cam, port job, clutch mod, tranny mod, and it has BIG power. Not one single problem period!!! Check out who runs their motors and how they are doing!!! Very reasonable pricing too!!!

http://moto-xperts.com/

400excracer
09-10-2009, 08:21 AM
I recommend EJR. Eric does fenominal work. His sled will be running at Hay Days this weekend and he built the fastest Banshee in the Ice Speedway series.

liljhall09
09-10-2009, 11:11 PM
Does anyone run a duncan motor ?

TRXman86
09-18-2009, 01:00 AM
PAY UP YOU SORRY EXCUSE OF YOUR SPERM DONOR!!! If it were me, I would have allready took a trip and beat the living hell out of ya!!!
------------

Just file a "FRAUD" claim on his butt and be done... Maybe some good ole "BUBBA" time to make his a-hole bigger is what he needs...